PDA

View Full Version : Anyone handed a car back ?

Craig
3rd December 2009, 05:31 PM
under the 50/50 termination rights on most credit agreements, you get the option to hand the car back after half the value of the car is paid. This is the situation with Jude's car at the end of the month, so we are thinking about handing the car back by mid january as it is worth less at present (going on current prices) as what is currently outstanding on it..

My question is, does anyone know the agreed standards of "wear and tear" as I don't want to hand the car back and get stung for a big bill... I call the finance company and they were EXTREMELY vague about what is and is not considered Wear and Tear.... There is a ding on the rear bumper which I know we will have to get fixed, but what about kerbed alloys?

Hope you can answer my questions... :thumbs up:

Delboy
3rd December 2009, 05:48 PM
I've actually done this twice before - it's quite a good way of getting rid of your car before the end of a finance agreement, especially if you haven't put much cash into it as a deposit so aren't expecting any money back from a trade-in.

I didn't have any problems when the cars were collected from me - it was a fairly quick "walk around" by the driver of the car transporters and they didn't examine the cars in any detail, although both cars in question were in very good condition anyway. I think minor cosmetic damage like dings and scuffs are expected and I wouldn't be too concerned about kerbed alloys - most cars have kerbed alloys (NMS members excluded of course ;)).

Craig
3rd December 2009, 06:00 PM
thanks for that Del, that is what I have heard from most people, but we are talking about Jude kerbed alloys... :eek::lol:

I've sent Mark D a message and I am waiting on him getting back to me re the BVRLA accepted standards re wear and tear... :thumbs up:

Fester
3rd December 2009, 08:11 PM
Craig,
Used to work for a finance company and in general it is a quick walk round they were looking for major damaged ie scratches dents missing trim, rips tears and damage. Cannot think of any of my customers that were picked up on kerbed alloys, most spec sheets I saw were dents and scratches. If possible try and get a copy of the spec sheet when you hand it back as not all damage is caused by the owner!!!

If car is exceptionally clean & shiny then the person uplifting will prob only give it a quick look over.

Stephen

Craig
3rd December 2009, 09:01 PM
Craig,
Used to work for a finance company and in general it is a quick walk round they were looking for major damaged ie scratches dents missing trim, rips tears and damage. Cannot think of any of my customers that were picked up on kerbed alloys, most spec sheets I saw were dents and scratches. If possible try and get a copy of the spec sheet when you hand it back as not all damage is caused by the owner!!!

If car is exceptionally clean & shiny then the person uplifting will prob only give it a quick look over.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen, got a wee ding on the bumper to get fixed and apart from that the car is in pretty good order. The inside is immaculate. :yes nod:

ianking
3rd December 2009, 09:46 PM
Craig when I worked at the garage we used to get 3 or 4 ocassions per year of folk handing a car back to the finance so they could get out of it and into another car.

We used to offer to hold the car at the garage and let the finance co pick it up from us.
We used to give the cars a valet and make them shine and when they looked like that the driver collecting it barely looked at them in any detail as they appeared well looked after.

The garage you bought it from should be able to help you as well, certainly the garage I worked at used to help folk do this, particularly if they were buying another car from us.

Craig
3rd December 2009, 10:25 PM
Craig when I worked at the garage we used to get 3 or 4 ocassions per year of folk handing a car back to the finance so they could get out of it and into another car.

We used to offer to hold the car at the garage and let the finance co pick it up from us.
We used to give the cars a valet and make them shine and when they looked like that the driver collecting it barely looked at them in any detail as they appeared well looked after.

The garage you bought it from should be able to help you as well, certainly the garage I worked at used to help folk do this, particularly if they were buying another car from us.

Thanks for that Ian... We bought the car thro Freeway (a part of HBOS that has now closed) and the car came from a garage in Southampton, so no chance of dealing witht he supplying dealer.. ;)

I'll get the wee dent on the bumper fixed and then make sure it's very shiny for them. :yes nod:

Fester
3rd December 2009, 10:54 PM
slightly off topic but I had a hire car for a week when my Audi was in getting repaired after an accident, the same guy came to collect it that delivered it, I had valeted it and polished it, he did not think it was the same car as he said usually cars handed back filthy to hide scratches etc...

Apart from the bumper, by what you say I do not think you will have any problems. Firms will charge for a make good repair if handed back with problems, have seen it cheaper to pay the fee rather than repair if it is only a small dent.

Craig
3rd December 2009, 11:14 PM
slightly off topic but I had a hire car for a week when my Audi was in getting repaired after an accident, the same guy came to collect it that delivered it, I had valeted it and polished it, he did not think it was the same car as he said usually cars handed back filthy to hide scratches etc...

Apart from the bumper, by what you say I do not think you will have any problems. Firms will charge for a make good repair if handed back with problems, have seen it cheaper to pay the fee rather than repair if it is only a small dent.

Ok cool :thumbs up:

Delboy
4th December 2009, 10:01 AM
Perhaps for some more peace of mind, one of the cars I returned had fairly obvious marks/depressions on the back seat where a baby seat had been permanently situated. I was worried that they might pick this up but the guy never even looked in the back and I heard nothing afterwards.

The other car I returned also had after-market alloys on it that I had bought. I wondered if the finance company might have wanted the standard alloys put back on but I had traded them in! As it turned out, they didn't say a thing about them.

The Dogfather
4th December 2009, 10:26 AM
I was told that if you repeatedly hand back cars it can go against you next time you apply for car finance.

ianking
4th December 2009, 10:36 AM
I was told that if you repeatedly hand back cars it can go against you next time you apply for car finance.

Yes I had heard this also. I think if you do it once its OK but I wouldnt make a habbit of it.

Delboy
4th December 2009, 11:44 AM

I do not know if that is the case. Perhaps if you did it every 6 months but I'm still not convinced. It is your right under the credit agreement to do this - you are not defaulting on payments or the terms and conditions so I would think that the effect on your credit rating should be minimal. It certainly didn't give me any problems, apart from when I tried to buy a brand new Porsche 911 Turbo on a 15-year term with no deposit ;) :D

GCA3N
4th December 2009, 01:53 PM
apart from when I tried to buy a brand new Porsche 911 Turbo on a 15-year term with no deposit ;) :D

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Craig
4th December 2009, 06:35 PM
thanks for all the advice folks... Think I'm going to chance it, ;):yes nod:

Crombers
6th December 2009, 11:06 AM
Okay okay, finance, kerbed alloys, blah de blah..............

the BIG question is what kinda MINI is Jude gettin :yes nod:

Craig
6th December 2009, 02:27 PM
Okay okay, finance, kerbed alloys, blah de blah..............

the BIG question is what kinda MINI is Jude gettin :yes nod:

lol - dinnae think so... Tried SOOOO hard to get her to buy a MINI, but she said no :frown:

GCA3N
6th December 2009, 04:57 PM
lol - dinnae think so... Tried SOOOO hard to get her to buy a MINI, but she said no :frown:

Wonder why, it's not like you have had any issues with them.:Whistle:

The Dogfather
6th December 2009, 05:02 PM
Audi TT TDI then, holds its value well so it offsets the high purchase price :D

Crombers
7th December 2009, 01:07 PM

Bleedin wumin :shut up: :rolleyes: