PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got an iTrip?

Big Col
6th June 2004, 09:01 PM
I'm just back from the U.S where I caved, sold a little portion of my soul to satan(apple) and bought a mini ipod. I have to say, the little portion of the soul that I sold was well worth it as it's a fantastic little thing.:approve: I dunno how I put up with my muvo for so long!!

Anywho, my question is with regards to the iTrip. I know it works with the mini ipod but is it legal to have one in the U.K (i.e is this article out of date http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3115345.stm)and are they any good:question:

Willie M
6th June 2004, 09:18 PM
I think 3GGG and Gaj may be able to help you on this one Col, I know 3GGG had (or tried one out) last year.

Big Col
7th June 2004, 01:00 AM
Excellent. You know. They should maybe have a thread on here called "Life's little questions" since there's always someone on here that can help you out. Regardless of the question. :approve:

3GGG
7th June 2004, 02:03 AM
Yes indeed, there are places selling them on EBay and they do work (at least on my 3rd Generation iPod). Make sure you get the right model. They are not legal in the UK. I think if you look back in the archives here I posted the relevant section from the WT Act.

Glad Apple has another convert!

GAJ
7th June 2004, 02:20 AM
I've got one. As David said make sure that you get the model for the 3G iPod otherwise it won't work with your iPod Mini. I've used mine with Cheryl's iPod Mini and it works fine although it looks a bit lopsided! (The fact that the headphone jack is at the side means that the iTrip hangs over the edge!)
The section of the WT Act that David mentioned is -

Under the WT Act, it is an offence to use and install apparatus that does not comply with the R&TTE Regulations 2000, SI 2000 No. 730 and the relevant UK Radio Interface Requirement (unless it was type-approved before 8 April 2000).

It is also an offence to possess or have in your control such a device with intent to use it, or knowing that another person is likely to use it, contrary to the WT Act.

The maximum penalty for each of these offences is a £5,000 fine and/or six months' imprisonment on summary conviction, or an unlimited fine and/or two years' imprisonment on conviction on indictment. The Courts may also order you to forfeit any wireless telegraphy apparatus or any other apparatus, vehicle, vessel or aircraft.

But mums the word!;)

Big Col
7th June 2004, 05:06 PM
ooh well it's just as well I have no intention of getting one. <coff> I also am only going to ask you if they're any good just out of idle curiosity. ;)

GAJ
7th June 2004, 05:30 PM
They are not bad at all!
I had one for my old iPod as well and that one did not work quite as well. The sound lacked brightness and the bass heavy and undefined. Switching the iPod EQ to Bass Reducer made it sound OK though.
The current version sounds better, quite bright and snappy bass! Remember that it's only ever going to be as good as FM radio. The good thing about the iTrip, in comparison to other FM transmitters on the market, is that you can tune it to transmit on any frequency on the FM spectrum rather than one of a few presets. That way you can find a station without too much interference.

Allegedly!

Big Col
7th June 2004, 08:16 PM
Well...if it was legal I would probably take all of this advice and buy one right now and will wake delivery in a few days.

WOULD! I mean would take delivery your honour. <coff>

GAJ
18th June 2004, 07:57 PM
You might want to hang fire and get the one specific for the iPod Mini - This one (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip_mini/)

Big Col
18th June 2004, 08:01 PM
Yeah I saw that as I was downloading the software for the one I'd just received. :(

GAJ
18th June 2004, 08:37 PM
The software should be on the CD that comes with it.

3GGG
18th June 2004, 09:23 PM
IIRC there was an additional downloadable list of frequencies for outside USA that were not on the CDROM. That way you could go to every 100KHz frequency in Band II rather than every 200KHz.

3GGG
18th June 2004, 09:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Yeah I saw that as I was downloading the software for the one I'd just received. :(

Bummer, well just sell the old one on EBay and look for one of the new ones, suspect they will be at a premium for a wee while though.

GAJ
19th June 2004, 12:45 AM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

IIRC there was an additional downloadable list of frequencies for outside USA that were not on the CDROM. That way you could go to every 100KHz frequency in Band II rather than every 200KHz.

Never know that! I'm off to get it!:)