PDA

View Full Version : Arran and Arran roads.

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 02:38 PM
Been here 4 months or so and to be honest I love it, but only if I didn't have a car or needed to deal with Arran people. I took the wheel off my Mini round to the local garage, ( round trip of 60 miles as I had to go and get petrol at 121p a litre) Anyway get there at 10am (booked wheel to get done at 10am) so the guy says can you leave it we're just about to have out tea, come back in a an hour or so. I said ok and came back about an hour later. I asked how much do I owe you,so he says we'll just call it £14.......£14 for a puncture.:eek: Now I should have checked the wheel before I left, but I never,:frown: so as I was driving home thinking to my self will I stop and check the wheel is ok, I hit another BL$$DY pot hole and nakered one of the wifes tyres:argh: (4x4 big tyre)
Got out in the Pi$$ing rain and wind blowing up my **** and changed the wheel:sad:, when I took my wheel out the boot I noticed that not only was the wheel damaged where they have taken it off the twats have put the wheel down on it's face and it is scratched right round the whole wheel, needless to say there is steam coming from my ears:argh:.
Think I will be coming home again sooner rather than later. Anyway I am off to call the local authority, like that will make a difference.

Craig
1st December 2009, 03:04 PM
thats very poor mate... :frown::frown:

as you say tho, they have a captive audience so the "I couldn't care less attitude" seems to rise to the top cos your not going to get the boat off the island to get a puncture done. I would be calling the garage to complain as they ain't cheap wheels... :frown: I am so glad I have a local garage that I trust 100% with all my wheels... ;)

I think you chances of getting people over to Arran for a run, with all your stories of pot holes and flooding are diminishing... :lol:

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 03:28 PM
I think you chances of getting people over to Arran for a run, with all your stories of pot holes and flooding are diminishing... :lol:

Craig you took the words from my mouth just saying that to Kim, no way am I going to organise this now, just about to write a letter into the local rag.

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 04:05 PM
worth a watch if your interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-1um-JYEwE

zimbo
1st December 2009, 04:06 PM
Thats shocking Greig!! :eek: ...the sad part part is that the garage will just say "no that wasn't us, it wasn't like that when it left here..."

As for pot holes, dont get me going again about these bloody things!! I know I only pay £30 a year for Road Tax but, I REALLY REALLY do wonder what exactly our money is getting spent on because it most DEFINATELY is not on sorting out our roads... :ragin: :ragin:

I hope things get sorted out ok for you :thumbs up:

zimbo
1st December 2009, 04:16 PM
worth a watch if your interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-1um-JYEwE

:lol: ...and on a serious note, those roads look shockingl!! :eek:

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 04:21 PM
:lol: ...and on a serious note, those roads look shockingl!! :eek:

The first time I watched this I was like :eek:

NOW I AM :argh::argh::argh::argh:

Letter off to the rag now and have spoken to the guy who made this video he is doing a campaign just now. Bit between the teeth now.:knife:

N16SHP
1st December 2009, 04:31 PM
As for pot holes, dont get me going again about these bloody things!! I know I only pay £30 a year for Road Tax but, I REALLY REALLY do wonder what exactly our money is getting spent on because it most DEFINATELY is not on sorting out our roads... :ragin: :ragin:

Unfortunately all taxes are collected into one pot, so what we pay on road tax does not go back into the roads directly. So tax from smoking, alcohol, petrol etc is all accumulated! I was shocked when i found that out!

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 04:50 PM
What I heard aswell was that the local goverment accumulatively put aside £660,000,000 a year for pot hole claims alone, that is astonishing. I don't know how many Uk drivers there are lets assume around 30 million can't be too far away, so on average every person with a uk licence recieves on average £22 a year, I've seen about £100 of that in 19 years of driving. It's cheaper obvioulsy to just pay out.
Another wee peice of useless info so to speak, there is a check that can be carried out on every credit card transaction to stop fraud, it used to cost around 60p per transactions. It is not used because it would outway the cost of paying out on claims, we could irradicate credit card fraud but we don't because it costs too much. :frown:
I guess fixing out deteriorating roads is exactly the same. All very sad and idemic in today's society.

N16SHP
1st December 2009, 06:25 PM
I don't know what other people on here think, but I think up here (In Scotland) we have really to see the credit crunch. Only ever hear about it down in Englandshire. One place I have noticed, is the state of the roads compared to a couple of years ago. Busy road junctions that would normally have been repaired are still bad. Anyone else feeling that way or is it just student me??

Stewart
1st December 2009, 06:37 PM
The Guy on the Vid was right Sutherland did have better roads, Glasgow is shocking as well:ragin:. I’m putting Glasgows troubles down to that M74 extension that must be costing an absolute fortune. I know I’m overly cautious of my Alloy’s but I cant remember in all my years of driving having to concentrate so much on looking out for pot holes as I do these days.

Sorry to read about your wheel damage, not taking care with the alloy is shocking. :frown:

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 07:10 PM
I don't know what other people on here think, but I think up here (In Scotland) we have really to see the credit crunch. Only ever hear about it down in Englandshire. One place I have noticed, is the state of the roads compared to a couple of years ago. Busy road junctions that would normally have been repaired are still bad. Anyone else feeling that way or is it just student me??

Your defo right, should it be hurting councils though, I mean we all still pay our taxes which are going up, wages have pretty much stood still, inflationary at best. So why should the roads be suffering credit crunch or not.

The Guy on the Vid was right Sutherland did have better roads, Glasgow is shocking as well:ragin:. I’m putting Glasgows troubles down to that M74 extension that must be costing an absolute fortune. I know I’m overly cautious of my Alloy’s but I cant remember in all my years of driving having to concentrate so much on looking out for pot holes as I do these days.

Sorry to read about your wheel damage, not taking care with the alloy is shocking. :frown:

Thanks for the concern, could barely contain myself, here's something familiar phoned the garage the guy said give me your number and i'll call you back..........guess what........NO CALL BACK, bam pots.:argh:

As far as other works these are budgeted for there should still be the same ammount of money for general road repairs.

AndyP & Lenore
1st December 2009, 07:18 PM
Been here 4 months or so and to be honest I love it, but only if I didn't have a car or needed to deal with Arran people.:argh:....

....Think I will be coming home again sooner rather than later. Anyway I am off to call the local authority, like that will make a difference.

And, breathe......:shut up:

Seriously though, sounds like you had a Craig Davies type of day.:sad:

A.:frown:

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 07:32 PM

Yeh I'm ok now. It's not the end of the world.:rolleyes:

Craig
1st December 2009, 07:43 PM

Yeh I'm ok now. It's not the end of the world.:rolleyes:

nah, thats when you get told at 2pm today that your working in weedgieville tomorrow morning.. taking the car to carlo's first thing, been booked in for over a week, (not taking my car to glesga) so had to go thro' the whole ordering a hire car thing thro my work and only got confirmation 2 mins before I left work that it would be there but they can only deliver it at 10am.. :argh::argh: Blooming Polis... :ragin: and I have to brave the A80 tomorrow in what looks like a loverly day of weather.. :rolleyes:

anyway, at least tesco have a deal on :beer: :lol::clap:

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 08:11 PM
I'll be driving from Ardrossan to Aberdeen tomorrow, will be on the A80 at some point, leaving adrossan at 3 so will be at glasgow 4ish Aberdeen for 7ish so if anyone sees me give us a wave.:clap:

PS sorry to hear about your day, sounds like we both had a doozy

Mini Ecosse
1st December 2009, 08:16 PM
(not taking my car to glesga)

anyway, at least tesco have a deal on :beer: :lol::clap:
Why not take your mini to Glesca?

Is it because there is not enough room for Tesco's deal on :beer::beer:.

I suspect you have hired a transit van!:hand::lol::lol:

Scottie
1st December 2009, 08:38 PM
I find the A80 to be a lot better now that they have introduced the average speed cameras through the road works seems to flow much better.

The roads on the video remind me very much of the roads in Southern Ireland until they were funded by the EU now roads there a very much improved.

Hey I've taken my TA van over to Arran towed by the FFRR the D3 and our V10 some of the roads were difficult with out outfit not yet on par with Devon but not far off.

Craig
1st December 2009, 09:34 PM
I'll be driving from Ardrossan to Aberdeen tomorrow, will be on the A80 at some point, leaving adrossan at 3 so will be at glasgow 4ish Aberdeen for 7ish so if anyone sees me give us a wave.:clap:

PS sorry to hear about your day, sounds like we both had a doozy

might just see you as I will be leaving govan about 4 :thumbs up:

Craig
1st December 2009, 09:37 PM
I find the A80 to be a lot better now that they have introduced the average speed cameras through the road works seems to flow much better.

sorry Fi, can't agree, anytime I have been thro since they put the cameras on, I have been around 30mph cos everyone is sh"t scared they get done. One day while trying to get to work in Glasgow, we were at 20 ! FFS.. :argh:

it annoys me more than they still keep the reduced speed limit when there are no workers there... Yes I agree the limit is there to protect the workers, I support that, but not when there is nobody there and you are on a dual carriageway.. :ragin: anyway, rant over... <woooosaaaa wooooosaaa>;)

Craig
1st December 2009, 09:38 PM
Why not take your mini to Glesca?

Is it because there is not enough room for Tesco's deal on :beer::beer:.

I suspect you have hired a transit van!:hand::lol::lol:

hey, it might well be... most of the hire cars I get for just me in the car are Zafira's or Vectra Estates so plenty room to "stock up" :lol:, although the worst one recently was a 1.4 Astra Sport Hatch... :rolleyes:

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 10:22 PM
Won't post this pic direct as it's a tad naughty but think I might get one.

http://sn119w.snt119.mail.live.com/mail/SafeRedirect.aspx?hm__tg=http://65.55.81.103/att/GetAttachment.aspx&hm__qs=file%3d1c29e234-7d5f-42ea-8bac-d99091a7ec1b.jpg%26ct%3daW1hZ2UvanBlZw_3d_3d%26nam e%3daW1hZ2UwMDEuanBn%26inline%3d1%26rfc%3d0%26empt y%3dFalse%26imgsrc%3dcid%253a1.2326705325%2540web2 4205.mail.ird.yahoo.com%26msgHash%3dffffffffffffff ff&oneredir=1&ip=10.13.36.8&d=d6147&mf=0&a=01_a24a3277e63b2eaa9ce5e6b1585c6c5720290a8e9f69d 92d9631d84e82dfabdd

Delboy
1st December 2009, 10:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your bum day. I would be raging too - such a shame as your wheels were spotless. I assume you'll be going to see them about compensation?

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 10:37 PM
Sorry to hear about your bum day. I would be raging too - such a shame as your wheels were spotless. I assume you'll be going to see them about compensation?

I'm off 2 Moro so don't know when I'll get round to it. Really annoyed.

Sheilz
2nd December 2009, 12:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your wheel. I guess island mentality would be a bit rough and ready and assuming everyone drives a tractor or treats their motor as if it were one.
Potholes are a menace all over, Roads in Abz are dire.

Sheilz
2nd December 2009, 12:46 AM
[QUOTE=Craig;228636]

I have to brave the A80 tomorrow in what looks like a loverly day of weather.. :rolleyes:

Good luck with that one. Yesterday I got caught heading for Paisley in a horrendous tailback caused by a broken down lorry. Had to sit twiddling my thumbs for over an hour, engine on, engine off, freezing, sweating blah blah. That was dire. Never did get the length of Paisley, couldn't be a*sed after that. Still didn't get home till 9.30pm. O I do like my 9-5 job that pays no overtime :argh::argh::argh:

Sheilz
2nd December 2009, 01:00 AM

recession is about to hit Aberdeen very very hard in terms of local services. In our dept there's not one penny being given to the city's poorest without being signed off by the big chief. Basically have to write a bloody dissertation to explain why someoen needs a few pennies. And then the public wonder why workers spend so much time on their butts filling in moronic bits of paper when there's real work to be done :ragin:Would suggest of course that if the BC has bugg*rall better to do with their time than debate the merits of signing off a three quid bus fare that the council could start saving mega bucks by just getting rid. Every now and then management go daft about budgets but what they're trying to achieve now is pretty bad with the most vulnerable losing out and I dont mean the junkies and other wasters, the ones I really fear for are the old, the frail and little kiddies living in deprivation. The threat of redundancy hangs heavy in the air.
Bankers, politicians, all the feckless f*ckers that have wasted our taxes and robbed us blind - I despise them all :ragin:

GCA3N
2nd December 2009, 09:08 AM
recession is about to hit Aberdeen very very hard in terms of local services. In our dept there's not one penny being given to the city's poorest without being signed off by the big chief. Basically have to write a bloody dissertation to explain why someoen needs a few pennies. And then the public wonder why workers spend so much time on their butts filling in moronic bits of paper when there's real work to be done :ragin:Would suggest of course that if the BC has bugg*rall better to do with their time than debate the merits of signing off a three quid bus fare that the council could start saving mega bucks by just getting rid. Every now and then management go daft about budgets but what they're trying to achieve now is pretty bad with the most vulnerable losing out and I dont mean the junkies and other wasters, the ones I really fear for are the old, the frail and little kiddies living in deprivation. The threat of redundancy hangs heavy in the air.
Bankers, politicians, all the feckless f*ckers that have wasted our taxes and robbed us blind - I despise them all :ragin:

Strong words but aggree 100%. I'll tell you this the offshore industry is also dying slowing and even in the north sea things are not looking good. This country would be devastated if it lost the north sea in particular Aberdeen, that would wilt and die very quickly.

Your right in what you are saying it makes me very angry seeing a very small minority still making profits and getting huge bonuses when some are struggling just to feed themselves. The country, the world has gone to pot.

zimbo
2nd December 2009, 10:47 AM
sorry Fi, can't agree, anytime I have been thro since they put the cameras on, I have been around 30mph cos everyone is sh"t scared they get done. One day while trying to get to work in Glasgow, we were at 20 ! FFS.. :argh:

it annoys me more than they still keep the reduced speed limit when there are no workers there... Yes I agree the limit is there to protect the workers, I support that, but not when there is nobody there and you are on a dual carriageway.. :ragin: anyway, rant over...

Average Speed Cameras are a fecking HUGE pain in the ass!! See all along my trip to London and back a few times when going down to visit relatives there and especially the ones on the M25 OMG what a nightmare they are...:ragin:there is just no need for these damn things, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

<woooosaaaa wooooosaaa>;)

:lol: I think we could all do with a bit of that, that was a class bit in the film <<<closes eyes and connects middle finger with thumb and starts saying woooosaaa woooosaaa...>>> :D

zimbo
2nd December 2009, 11:07 AM
Oh and another thing, (thread topic related:D) the state of the roads in this country are one of many many things/reasons why I have/am considering going abroad either to the US or maybe even Oz. I mean the roads in the US that I have travelled on and those are a lot!! have all been AWESOME, no pot holes, no craters to swallow your car/bike up in, no gravel on the roads and most of all NO traffic cones or road works anywhere!!! I could not believe that and thats a few thousand miles of travelling Ive done over there now.

To be honest I think this country is going down the tubes and quickly, which is sad, I mean you know things are bad when the country cant even fix roads PROPERLY but would rather spend the money paying compensation for claims etc **because it's cheaper** thats NO excuse, and I wonder just how many people have lost their lives or friends/loved ones due to an accident due to the state of a particular road!? Like that video you posted Greig, about the cyclists and motorcyclists (like myself) are the most vulnerable to these road conditions, and it is down right disgraceful.

Right I think thats my rant over ...for now :D

<<woooosaaa woooosaaa>>

Delboy
2nd December 2009, 01:01 PM
I mean the roads in the US that I have travelled on and those are a lot!! have all been AWESOME, no pot holes, no craters to swallow your car/bike up in, no gravel on the roads and most of all NO traffic cones or road works anywhere!!! I could not believe that and thats a few thousand miles of travelling Ive done over there now.

You've obviously never done much driving in LA then - the roads there are full of cracks, dips, roadworks and, of course, traffic ;).

While I understand the views and feelings of the folk who have posted above, I'm pretty sure there are still worse places to live in the world than the UK :rolleyes:. At least we don't get any big earthquakes :D!