PDA

View Full Version : Winter wheels are back on...

zimbo
1st December 2009, 10:22 AM
Thats right the winter wheels went back on my car on Saturday and it was a nice mild day for being outside and doing the job as well :D and thank goodness I did it as well, coz last night was baltic here in Dundee and this morning the temp reading in the car was -3 :eek: brrrrrrrr.....

The summer wheels are now having a nice long hard and deserved rest till next summer :yes nod:

TheDoctor46
1st December 2009, 06:17 PM
-7 when i got in the car at 4am this morning!!!!:frown:

AndyP & Lenore
1st December 2009, 07:14 PM
-4.5 at 7.30am In Gala this morning. Brrrrrr.

On the way up the A7 there was a strip of the road which had been soaked with hillside run-off and had frozen then got churned up by cars/gritters etc. Someone overcooked it on the bend and spun into a field. Must have happened minutes before we got to the scene as there was a queue of traffic both directions and multiple folk out on their mobiles. It looked like the occupants of the car that rolled had got out OK though.

Dodgy times ahead.:frown:

Our nice new winter wheels go on tomorrow, and we'll be putting winter tyres on as soon as they available again.:thumbs up:

Edit: oh, AND! On the way back down the road we drove through SNOW FLURRIES! ArrggghhhH!!!!

A.:D

Craig
1st December 2009, 07:39 PM
someone wishing they hadn't got rid of their 4 x 4 ... ^^^^^^ ;):Whistle:

stoney
1st December 2009, 07:40 PM
well we landed at manchester airport at 7 this morning and it was -5 :sad:

after beeing in 40+ for 2 weeks was a big shock to the old system still cold now :argh:

joec73
1st December 2009, 07:41 PM
what are people using as winter wheels ?
thinking about a set for the missus mini.

AndyP & Lenore
1st December 2009, 08:07 PM
someone wishing they hadn't got rid of their 4 x 4 ... ^^^^^^ ;):Whistle:

:Whistle::Whistle::shut up:

A. :D

The Dogfather
1st December 2009, 08:27 PM
You don't need a 4x4 just proper tyres!!!! ;)

Heavy snow forecast here, might take the MINI out for a play if its really deep.

AndyP & Lenore
1st December 2009, 08:29 PM
what are people using as winter wheels ?
thinking about a set for the missus mini.

We went for the jcw challenge wheels: R112. Was gonna go for a set of black bullets but when we saw them up close I wasn't keen on them. Got a great deal on a set that came off a show car in a local dealer.

A.

Scottie
1st December 2009, 08:35 PM

Heavy snow forecast here, might take the MINI out for a play if its really deep.

your lucky we only ever get crap snow here and not very much of it.:argh::argh:

only ever had one decent snow winter up north. :ragin:

I remember when we I used snow chains on the car to get back up to my parents house.

I had a wee bit snow tonight on the back road to Torwood.

joec73
1st December 2009, 08:53 PM
We went for the jcw challenge wheels: R112. Was gonna go for a set of black bullets but when we saw them up close I wasn't keen on them. Got a great deal on a set that came off a show car in a local dealer.

A.

Any particular size or just straight replacements?
We have 205/45/17 at the moment and not sure how these will cope with the snow

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 09:12 PM
Any particular size or just straight replacements?
We have 205/45/17 at the moment and not sure how these will cope with the snow

I think I'm right in saying that the size won't make a massive difference unless we're talking about ridiculous profiles. The guys gals on here normally use a tyre that works better in the colder temps. And they remove their nice shiney alloys over the winter period so they won't become damaged with the salt etc.

It goes with out saying that some tyres will work better in different conditions what make type do you have. Someone will come along soon and tell you if they are good in winter.

AndyP & Lenore
1st December 2009, 09:13 PM

We're really limited on choice is the trouble. Pirelli's are rubbish. Nokian don't make a run flat in our size. Bridgestone don't import their blizzak run flat to the uk. Just leaves kumho. We fannied arround so much they are now out of stock in the whole of the uk. So we've ordered a set of kumhos for when they come in to stock in a few weeks time. Should be on before the winter really sets in. Hopefully.

A.

Craig
1st December 2009, 09:43 PM
I have a set of S Spoke's for winter with some good "winter" tyres on. Nokian WRG2's. With the recent drop in temp and the heavy rain, they have really come into their own. I have had no issues with standing water and even this morning when it was -3 on the way to work, never once found myself tip toeing round a corner. :thumbs up:

Still to try them in the snow tho, but from the reviews, they seem to cope well. ;)

The Dogfather
1st December 2009, 10:57 PM
Craig, they are great in the snow, if an MX5 with 215/45 R17s can overtake snowplough in an inch or two of lying snow they'll work on a MINI :D

Craig
1st December 2009, 11:02 PM
Craig, they are great in the snow, if an MX5 with 215/45 R17s can overtake snowplough in an inch or two of lying snow they'll work on a MINI :D

Smashin. :thumbs up:

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 11:06 PM
Smashin. :thumbs up:

Don't be overtaking no snow plough craig lol

Craig
1st December 2009, 11:12 PM
Don't be overtaking no snow plough craig lol

I had to pass a gritter on Sunday on the way back from the Pink My Ride charity day and my front end looks like road rash :argh: all my newly painted black plastic at the front is chipped to buggery... :ragin::ragin:

so no - I won't be overtaking a plough as it will prob be putting out salt at the same time.. :rolleyes:

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 11:16 PM
I had to pass a gritter on Sunday on the way back from the Pink My Ride charity day and my front end looks like road rash :argh: all my newly painted black plastic at the front is chipped to buggery... :ragin::ragin:

so no - I won't be overtaking a plough as it will prob be putting out salt at the same time.. :rolleyes:

What a nightmare

joec73
4th December 2009, 02:32 PM
Surprise surprise , we had four new pirelli runflats fitted by the dealer just before we got the car. So there will be plenty of cautious driving lol!!

Crombers
6th December 2009, 11:13 AM

I knew there was a deep underlying reason as to why I hav'ny re done my super duper Menzies 'one coat' , cheers mate :thumbs up:

Crombers
6th December 2009, 11:15 AM
Pirelli's are rubbish.

Oh I don't know about that, the 'controlled drift' you get on the greasy stuff can be 'entertaining' :yes nod: