PDA

View Full Version : Runflats!!!

WeeTerri
30th November 2009, 07:29 PM
Help!! :confused:

Blew tyres up on Friday night! back right was at 22psi so blew all 4 tyres up and never thought anything else about it. Today after work i noticed my back right was looking rather flatish! so back to the garage i went, checked tyres and my back right was at 9psi this time! do you think i have a slow puncture! i cant tell because they never look flat anyways! am confused.com

Thanx
T

GCA3N
30th November 2009, 07:51 PM
Help!! :confused:

Blew tyres up on Friday night! back right was at 22psi so blew all 4 tyres up and never thought anything else about it. Today after work i noticed my back right was looking rather flatish! so back to the garage i went, checked tyres and my back right was at 9psi this time! do you think i have a slow puncture! i cant tell because they never look flat anyways! am confused.com

Thanx
T

hi there your run flats should run at about 30-32 psi. The reason they are called run flats is because if you have a puncture the design of the tyre will allow you to get to a garage due to it's very stiff side wall. You right the tyres will not look flat hence the reason for the run flat indicator and the relative importance of checking your tyres regularly. I have noticed that the run flat indicator only seems to work if as I am driving the tyre pressure changes. If I start with the tyre pressure low and it does not alter it won't go off. Hope this helps.

KenL
30th November 2009, 08:10 PM
Good post GCA.

As well as regularly checking and adjusting tyre pressures, the tyre pressure warning system should also be reset after putting air in the tyres.

If you "never" check your tyres and therefore never inflate them the system cannot detect a normal drop in pressure over time. No tyres are perfectly sealed so lose some air over a long period of time.

So, if all your tyres are down at say 20 psi because they have not been checked for a long time, it is possible that if one drops further it won't catch it as the system works on a differential rotation of the wheels.

When I had my R56 Cooper I experimented:yes nod:. I set the pressures and reset the system. I then let air out of one tyre and drove a mile or so. I kept letting a bit of air out of one tyre only. It took a drop of at least 10psi in one wheel against all the others before the system went ping.

WeeTerri
30th November 2009, 08:15 PM
i reset the indicator the last time but it hadnt comin on this time when i noticed the tyre! how do i tell if i have a puncture or not?
will i have to take it to the garage to find this out?

dark knight
30th November 2009, 08:30 PM
I just had this problem today, my light was flashing telling me I had a puncture, i checked the pressure and it was sitting at 24psi. I took it to the garage and it had a screw deeply lodged in it

GCA3N
30th November 2009, 08:36 PM
i reset the indicator the last time but it hadnt comin on this time when i noticed the tyre! how do i tell if i have a puncture or not?

Just buy a little digital pressure indicator can get them for about £5-10 put this on from time to time and check them keeping them at the right pressure is very important for safety and fuel consumption reasons. Alternatively get a small pump than can run from the cig lighter and keep then topped to the right pressure. They won't drop much over time but would certainly recommend checking them once a week to ensure they're ok. With the state of the roads in this country it's no wonder we're having tyre issues all the time

Craig
30th November 2009, 08:36 PM

yeah I would say so.... Also before getting them to check the tyre out, ask if they fix run flats. some don't but you can repair them. THat way you can pay for the work only once. :thumbs up:

GCA3N
30th November 2009, 08:41 PM
I just had this problem today, my light was flashing telling me I had a puncture, i checked the pressure and it was sitting at 24psi. I took it to the garage and it had a screw deeply lodged in it

Mines is going in 2moro for a puncture must be flavour of the month. There is a nail in the centre tread. Put into a place when I was getting the exhaust done. They said they could not find anything. After 3 weeks of having to keep topping up the tyre I got the wheel off to find it myself and have found it. So all being well the local garage ( 52 mile round trip) will sort it.

GCA3N
30th November 2009, 08:45 PM
yeah I would say so.... Also before getting them to check the tyre out, ask if they fix run flats. some don't but you can repair them. THat way you can pay for the work only once. :thumbs up:

Craig I was checking this out some tyre manufactures have allowed repairs on their tyres others won't. Dunlop have said it's ok Can't remember the ones that say no. Some garages have a rule they won't touch them though.

KenL
30th November 2009, 08:57 PM
Craig I was checking this out some tyre manufactures have allowed repairs on their tyres others won't. Dunlop have said it's ok Can't remember the ones that say no. Some garages have a rule they won't touch them though.

Yes that's true.

I had Goodyear Excellence on the Cooper. I phoned and spoke to one of their technical people.

After a bit teasing, I managed to get to admit that they thought it was OK to fix them if they had not been driven on for long but BMW/MINI are firm that they should not be repaired.

GCA3N
30th November 2009, 09:03 PM
Yes that's true.

I had Goodyear Excellence on the Cooper. I phoned and spoke to one of their technical people.

After a bit teasing, I managed to get to admit that they thought it was OK to fix them if they had not been driven on for long but BMW/MINI are firm that they should not be repaired.

Last time I got one repaired I had to sign a form saying for how long and at what speed I had been driving for on the puncture.

baptie
30th November 2009, 09:38 PM
Near binned the S tonight, Dunlop SP on the front.

Hit a patch of ice under heavy braking and Kinda went sidey ways.

Well chuffed with recovery but If someone was infront it would have been toast.

GCA3N
30th November 2009, 10:01 PM
Near binned the S tonight, Dunlop SP on the front.

Hit a patch of ice under heavy braking and Kinda went sidey ways.

Well chuffed with recovery but If someone was infront it would have been toast.

Tut tut.:hand: Think we had a debate on here before about driving when the conditions are not optimum. Please I am not getting on but, and I speak to myself too, the roads are pretty bad just now with the plunging temps so would everyone slow down so we don't loose any of our babies.

AndyP & Lenore
30th November 2009, 10:45 PM
Tut tut.:hand: Think we had a debate on here before about driving when the conditions are not optimum. Please I am not getting on but, and I speak to myself too, the roads are pretty bad just now with the plunging temps so would everyone slow down so we don't loose any of our babies.

Yes Dad.:p

A.:D

GCA3N
30th November 2009, 10:50 PM
Yes Dad.:p

A.:D

Less of the cheek or u can forget Santa coming.

Gismo
30th November 2009, 11:13 PM
Tut tut.:hand: Think we had a debate on here before about driving when the conditions are not optimum. Please I am not getting on but, and I speak to myself too, the roads are pretty bad just now with the plunging temps so would everyone slow down so we don't loose any of our babies.Sheesh, worse than Ken L :rolleyes: :D

GCA3N
30th November 2009, 11:17 PM
Sheesh, worse than Ken L :rolleyes: :D

As the site owner you should be promoting sensible driving alan not making negative comments on the subject. And what's wrong with sounding like ken Alan?:D

baptie
30th November 2009, 11:39 PM
Sorry Dad, was in a rush.

slaps wrist.

KenL
30th November 2009, 11:53 PM
Could you please stop bullying me....................................:hand:

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 12:01 AM
Could you please stop bullying me....................................:hand:

You tell him ken. I think your no nonsence sensible attitude should be commended. Too many shannanigans that's what I say.

Gismo
1st December 2009, 12:08 AM
You tell him ken. I think your no nonsence sensible attitude should be commended. Too many shannanigans that's what I say.:yawn: :D

Fartin Martin
1st December 2009, 06:50 PM
finished work at 5..got in te car and driving for not even a minute and adnt went over 25mph..Bing..my tyre light came on!!!:argh:..stopped at the first garage to have a look and as luck has it my mate who's a tyre fitter was there filling up..so he was going to check them but the guage was broke!!!!:argh:..said they felt fine and that they can be sensitive but was to check them when I got up the road..so off i go..and the light went amber then went off??is this common??

and do you all think that tyre companies and bmw/mini just say that they can be repaired so that folk who don't really know any better jst buy a new tyre?

andddd:off topic:..but a went to look for the electric pump in my boot cos my cooper had one and found some sort of battery..what is it???:confused:

cheers guys!:D

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 07:30 PM
finished work at 5..got in te car and driving for not even a minute and adnt went over 25mph..Bing..my tyre light came on!!!:argh:..stopped at the first garage to have a look and as luck has it my mate who's a tyre fitter was there filling up..so he was going to check them but the guage was broke!!!!:argh:..said they felt fine and that they can be sensitive but was to check them when I got up the road..so off i go..and the light went amber then went off??is this common??

and do you all think that tyre companies and bmw/mini just say that they can be repaired so that folk who don't really know any better jst buy a new tyre?

andddd:off topic:..but a went to look for the electric pump in my boot cos my cooper had one and found some sort of battery..what is it???:confused:

cheers guys!:D

Is it not your battery that's where they put them in the S's. Checking runflats looking at them or feeling them is useless, I had a runflat with 5psi in it once, and you cannot tell by looking at it.

Fartin Martin
1st December 2009, 07:46 PM
Is it not your battery that's where they put them in the S's. Checking runflats looking at them or feeling them is useless, I had a runflat with 5psi in it once, and you cannot tell by looking at it.

oh right is it?!?! never new that lol..hmmm well the lights went off for now so shall see how it goes!

cheers mate;)

GCA3N
1st December 2009, 08:17 PM
oh right is it?!?! never new that lol..hmmm well the lights went off for now so shall see how it goes!

cheers mate;)

By yourself a tyre pressure indicator really handy to have.

something like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAPER-EXPERT-DIGITAL-TYRE-PRESSURE-GAUGE-Wickes-xmas_W0QQitemZ250540616430QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ha nd_Tools_Equipment?hash=item3a55626aee

Fartin Martin
2nd December 2009, 02:50 AM
By yourself a tyre pressure indicator really handy to have.

something like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAPER-EXPERT-DIGITAL-TYRE-PRESSURE-GAUGE-Wickes-xmas_W0QQitemZ250540616430QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ha nd_Tools_Equipment?hash=item3a55626aee

cheers mate..am sure theres one cuttin about this house somewhere..if its disappeared then and get this ordered!!;)

WeeTerri
2nd December 2009, 06:12 PM
Runflats Confuse me! :sad: BIG TIME!!!! lol
my light is still coming on but when i check the pressure all is fine!!

Craig
2nd December 2009, 06:28 PM

you could have a faulty sensor, if the car is still under warranty, best get them to check it out... If not, your local garage will have a fault code reader, it may show up something.. ;)

KenL
2nd December 2009, 09:08 PM

Have you reset the system?

WeeTerri
3rd December 2009, 07:15 PM
yeah reset it when i blew them up the last time! i always make sure i reset it....went all day today tho without it comin on woohoo :clap:

Craig
3rd December 2009, 08:59 PM
yeah reset it when i blew them up the last time! i always make sure i reset it....went all day today tho without it comin on woohoo :clap:

Result ! :thumbs up:

ace_dude
5th December 2009, 02:12 PM
Hey, just a wee heads up, I replaced my 2 front runflats back in June and I got them from mytyres.co.uk I got 2 Pirelli Eufori@ for 112 quid each, best price I could find and they deliver to an approved fitting station of your choice and there was a few to chose from in my area. Made it all very convenient and at a good price....god I sound like I work for them haha I don't honest! :cool: