PDA

View Full Version : Car Keyed ....ONLY 3 WEEKS OLD

macblob
5th June 2004, 07:38 PM
Fu**in Little Bas**rds

Just went out to my car this morning and found both passenger doors keyed .
Typical , own the car for 3 weeks today and its going to need the top half of both passneger doors repsrayed already......scratch is right through the laquer and paint on both doors.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::disa pprove:

GAJ
5th June 2004, 10:32 PM
Absolute nightmare! Was that in your street?

macblob
5th June 2004, 11:11 PM
Aye it was sat just on the 1st wee street off Pilrig st :mad:

minidriver#1
5th June 2004, 11:57 PM
hey man,sorry to hear about that. i feel your pain. i have a £980 bill to be paid to get key damage repaired. Lynch mob time.

macblob
6th June 2004, 12:34 AM
Thanks guys.

Anyone know if this lot are any good. Might be a cheaper way to get my car new again than an actual bodyshop. Just dont know if there any good or not

http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/repair/chipsaway.asp

Ive filled in an online quote thingy so ill wait and see if i hear from them on Monday

3GGG
6th June 2004, 02:14 AM
That's a real bummer, sorry to hear about the vandals, why can't people leave other folk's things alone:mad:

Don't know about chipsAwy - but will be interested how you get on as Pat got her car badly dented and scored by a flying rock on the A92 today:eek::( Very lucky it didn't come through the windscreen. :blackeye:

To crown it all she was so phased out that she accidentally scraped the rear hatch with the garage door afterwards:blackeye::(

Well as I said to her, it could have been worse, it could have been a MINI:evil:;)

Hope you get your new motor fixed soon MacBlob.

Julz
6th June 2004, 03:12 AM
Awww jings, really sorry to hear that!! As for chipsaway, cannae comment, sorry!!:(

Duncan Stewart
6th June 2004, 04:48 AM
mindless tossers! sorry to hear that Bri

Monsta Mo Mini
6th June 2004, 05:36 AM
Castrate anyone prone to wearing a shellsuite now and save everyone a lot of bother in the long run!!! Sorry to hear about that Brian.
Chipsaway are pretty good. The guy I work with had two scratches and a bumper scuff on his BMW and were undetectable by the time the guy had finished.

Willie M
6th June 2004, 06:57 AM
Aw Brian, that absolutely sucks :disapprove::disapprove::mad::mad::mad: Gutted for you mate, I really am. I cannot believe the mentality of some folks :evil::mad: Hope you manage to get things sorted out quickly :(

phantom
6th June 2004, 05:36 PM
Hi Brian, sorry mate about your car, words are meaning less for what we would do too them.:evil:
I have used Chipsaway in Dundee for two small dents and chips, they did a first class job, cost £50, but I think they are more for stone chips as opposesd to big scratches.

macblob
6th June 2004, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the kind words and advice....Chipsaway website said stone chips and vandals scratches etc and the scratches are only about 10cm on each door.

Heard some mixed reports about them though so not sure weather to go with them or to just bite the bullet and go to a proper bodyshop.

Anyone got any recommendations for bodyshops in the Edinburgh area ?

Thanks again Brian

Gismo
6th June 2004, 07:44 PM
Brian, it's human nature to get very possessive about the things that we own, take our cars for example.
We all loathe the mindless yobs who invade our prized belongings and especially when they cause damage.
It's as if they actually look out for nice shiny new motors, do they ever attack the old battered car next door :evil:
Where i'm leading is, if you really want your car to be in pristine condition then the body shop is your answer, if, though, you can accept a slightly less but often equally as good (appearance wise) repair then cut your costs, go the Chipsaway route.
At the end of the day, it's only a car (waits for the flaming) i've even mentioned it before about the Mini, including mine.

I've got a few scratches etc on mine now, the wheels have been lightly kerbed, the bird mess isn't wiped off immediately anymore etc etc

So, the fun part of ownership is driving, the car will still drive although the paint is less than perfect.

To summarise, the neds will be back :evil:

Sorry, went on a bit there, but i think you get the message

Good luck whatever way you go :)

Julz
6th June 2004, 11:16 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I've got a few scratches etc on mine now, the wheels have been lightly kerbed, the bird mess isn't wiped off immediately anymore etc etc

And I've got the Alan Mercer syndrome, BabyB hasn't been washed for about 6 weeks now:(, the new house is the main priority but she will have a garage to sleep in, but was gutted to discover white gloss on my leather seats today!!:mad: Some gentle persuasion with leather cleaner and its going, but I got fed up!!:eek::evil:
Like Alan says, it depends on what is more important, spending the cash for a pristine finish, or saving a bit and having a decent enough finish!!8)

macblob
8th June 2004, 08:03 PM
Guy from chipsaway came and looked at the damage on my car.
Used some very fine grade wet and dry sandpaper, and a good polish which has improved the look a bit , especially after i spent about an hr polishing the two areas after :D.

However he said that was all he could do with it...didnt charge anything as he was only there for about 10 mins.

He recommended against getting the doors sprayed as the thought the bodyshop would never get the colour match quite right....his advise was to just live with it basically...grrrr, dunno if i can do that.

Waiting on some quotes from a few bodyshops for the work, but it looks like minimum of 200 quid.
Dont know what to do....Just leave it and accept the damage or take the chance and get it painted.....just worried that its going to look sprayed and not as it did originally :disapprove:

Gismo
8th June 2004, 08:14 PM
Brian, easy for me to say leave it be, accept it as it is.
As it's the passenger side you won't see it every time you get in the car.

Small consolation, but, it's your car, only you can decide, worst case, you get it sorted and then the neds return :mad:

macblob
8th June 2004, 08:32 PM
Aye that was another factor that was worrying me BS.

Arrrggghhhhhhhh damm wee neds....here was me thinking I was at last going to have a yr or more of hassle free motoring.

No such luck with the amount of scum that seem to be intent on destroying othere peoples property

Wul
9th June 2004, 06:02 PM
Brian - sorry to hear of the gits in your neighbourhood!

I've got a bottle of langka if you fancy having a go at touching up the scratch yourself and removing the residue with the langka stuff - still won't be anywhere near as good as a bodyshop but might be enough to not need a full spray - red cars are the worst to spray as the colour fades quicker than any other colour.

Also have some good megs products you can try too - scratch X and clear coat body scrub which might help rid more of the scratch.

Will be in your neck of the woods about 7 tonight if you want me to pop in with them then post here to let me know.

macblob
9th June 2004, 06:21 PM
Thanks alot for the offer Wul, but had a very fine grade wet and dry asandpaper over them already with various scratch removing polishes, which has improved it...but there just fractionally too deep, gone through the clear coat and paint in some bits.

Got a very reasonable quote from a place called altered image yesterday so going to get it booked in there, hopefully for the last week this month when im off work.

macblob
21st June 2004, 05:54 PM
Car dropped off at the bodyshop this morning.

Get it back tomorrow afternoon , hopefully looking all new and shiney again.

:D:D:D

BTW Wul what meguiars wax/polish would you recommend as a good all rounder, only wanna buy the one really ...ta

Wul
21st June 2004, 07:21 PM
Well Macblob - either Gold Class Clear Coat Wax or NXT Generation Tech Wax are what you will be after - your shiney new paint shouldn't need anything else :)

Oh - i'd get some of the respective car wash too as they help prolong the shine from the wax.

And there is a stockist in leith - see the website for address - www.meguiars.co.uk

macblob
21st June 2004, 07:24 PM
thanks Wul, those were the two I was looking at, is the NXT meant to be btter than the gold class?

KenL
21st June 2004, 09:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

thanks Wul, those were the two I was looking at, is the NXT meant to be btter than the gold class?

Great, I've replied before Wul :p

Both are good. NXT a wee bit easier work so I'd go for that. I've got most of a bottle of Gold Class left so will finish that first.

That's one good thing about having a bigger car in that you get to buy wax more often :D