PDA

View Full Version : I feel a need to taste the forbidden fruit

john
19th November 2009, 03:08 AM
For almost 4 years I used an HP laptop (no issues) then I bought a Dell, it lasted almost six months before driving me crazy and so I bought an Acer 5738, day one it would not boot up, returned to the shop they fixed it and blamed my software ( surpise surprise) well it's happened several times since and I am currently offshore with the said laptop and it is doing it again, I have trawler the net and it would appear to be a common problem so on my return to Aberdeen I think this five month old piece of junk will be getting dumped where I bought it and I'm going to have a look at the good old apple laptops.

So all you Apple geeks which one should I get?

The Dogfather
19th November 2009, 07:26 AM
If you're not doing anything requiring too much computing power a standard Macbook would be good enough, just boost the Ram

rpn
19th November 2009, 09:08 AM
Welcome to the Dark Side! :thumbs up:

GCA3N
19th November 2009, 10:25 AM
I have a Sony Vaio but i would not recommend it TBO, loads of stuff gone wrong with it too. I haven't heard how good apple laptops are.

Bazthemod
19th November 2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah basic macbook would do you fine John. I switched to Mac 2 years ago and never looked back... so much less hassle! ;)

You can always run windows on it too if you miss it lol... i still need windows for microsoft project at uni. :thumbs up:

Scottie
19th November 2009, 03:05 PM
mac book pro although I do prefer the keys on my 2006 mac book pro to my 2008 one:confused:

N16SHP
19th November 2009, 03:55 PM
I've got a standard Macbook, but pumped up the RAM so when i was running several programs, it didn't come bogged down. I used it all through my graphic design/web design course at College/Uni and was brilliant!

My Mrs has a standard standard Macbook, and its also good.

My best mate has the top end Macbook pro, and apart from the sheer size and better battery life, there is hardly any different between the two when running programs like Photoshop, Freehand, Dreamweaver etc. One thing i will say is definately definately get Firefox, as Safari is junk!!

Ally S
20th November 2009, 09:57 AM
I've got an Acer 5735 and its fantastic. Never had an issue and its plenty fast. Got another older Acer too thats been no trouble. Maybe you've just had a dodgy model.

john
20th November 2009, 04:53 PM
I've got an Acer 5735 and its fantastic. Never had an issue and its plenty fast. Got another older Acer too thats been no trouble. Maybe you've just had a dodgy model.

I have not had a good experience with the Acer and I have been offshore for a week now with nothing to do (you can tell by some of my posts) anyway I have trawled the net and Acer customers the world over are having the same trouble so its getting kicked out.

So I need any of the Apples as they are all good but make sure there is plenty RAM.

Any software I should be looking for?

Bazthemod
20th November 2009, 05:20 PM
Depends what you want to do with it? Office for mac is recommended. Safari is a good browser, i used to use firefox but the latest version is very unstable.

iLife gives you a lot of packages for general tasks and should come preloaded.

john
20th November 2009, 06:26 PM
Depends what you want to do with it? Office for mac is recommended. Safari is a good browser, i used to use firefox but the latest version is very unstable.

iLife gives you a lot of packages for general tasks and should come preloaded.

Do they have outlook?

I would pester the shop assistant but im offshore:computer:

Bazthemod
20th November 2009, 07:15 PM
Outlook for Mac is coming next year by the looks of things. However apple have their own version called Mail that should set up fine with your email account.

I have my Uni email and my mobile me account all set up through Mail... which also syncs to my iphone :smilewinkgrin: