PDA

View Full Version : Button moves to McLaren...

zimbo
18th November 2009, 02:26 PM
Thats right folks, Jenson Button has signed a multi year deal with McLaren for 2010+. So who is going to be the number driver in this team between Lewis and Jenson then lol

So I wonder who is going to be driving the Mercedes GP cars now then?
Mmmm things are now going to be very interesting in 2010 thats for sure and hopefully be another cracking season.

I REALLY hope Rubens has a seat somewhere, he is my favourite driver out there and I would be gutted to see him not race.
**EDIT** its ok I've just seen that Rubens is going to be racing for Williams-Cosworth in 2010 with GP2 winner Nico Hulkinberg!? (dont know who he is..)

Delboy
18th November 2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah, heard that Hamilton is getting paid more than double Button's salary so no prizes for guessing who will get priority :rolleyes:. How funny would it be though if Button consistently out drove Hamilton - fingers crossed :D.

Rosberg and Heidfeld were tipped for Mercedes GP - not exactly high profile...

euan
18th November 2009, 02:50 PM
I can't see Button outdriving Hamilton, but I think it'll be very interesting.

The big change next season is no refuelling, so the driver who looks after his tyres best will do well. Lewis eats tyres like I eat biscuits, but Button is very easy on his tyres, so even if Lewis is quicker over a one lap I can't see Button being far away by the end.

I think the Merc cars will have Rosberg and Heidfeld in them. As for Rubens, he's got a chance to do well as that Williams is getting better all the time. It's a well funded team, good technical people and hopefully Cosworth will build a decent engine. As Rubens is one of the best in F1 for developing a car, you have to think by the end of the season he'll be up there pushing for podiums.

Mini Ecosse
18th November 2009, 05:10 PM
Norbert wants at least one German driver in the merc team

euan
18th November 2009, 05:42 PM

None of the current crop of German drivers are really what I'd call great drivers though. Kubica had a good season 2 years ago but hasn't done much since. Heidfeld is quick and I think underrated, but again he's not good enough to win championships. Rosberg had his best season last year but has really to prove himself in a top team, so I think it'll be him as the rumours were he'd signed for Mercedes rather than a team, and it was up to them where he drove (hence why he'd been spoken about for the McLaren seat).

If they want to create team motherland, fair enough - but it may not be the best for the team results.

john
18th November 2009, 06:39 PM
Thats right folks, Jenson Button has signed a multi year deal with McLaren for 2010+. So who is going to be the number driver in this team between Lewis and Jenson then lol

So I wonder who is going to be driving the Mercedes GP cars now then?
Mmmm things are now going to be very interesting in 2010 thats for sure and hopefully be another cracking season.

I REALLY hope Rubens has a seat somewhere, he is my favourite driver out there and I would be gutted to see him not race.
**EDIT** its ok I've just seen that Rubens is going to be racing for Williams-Cosworth in 2010 with GP2 winner Nico Hulkinberg!? (dont know who he is..)

Rubens and Webber are my two favourites :thumbs up:

Crombers
18th November 2009, 06:50 PM
Looking forward to the Massa, Alonso partnership just a tad :yes nod:

john
18th November 2009, 06:56 PM
Bruno Senna has a drive for 2010 too

Gismo
18th November 2009, 07:09 PM
Very interesting knowing that Mercedes are withdrawing from the McLaren team as well

john
18th November 2009, 07:27 PM
Very interesting knowing that Mercedes are withdrawing from the McLaren team as well

They are still supplying the engines though;)

euan
19th November 2009, 12:36 AM
They are still supplying the engines though;)

You mean they are supplying the sticker for the Ilmor engine ;-)

McLaren get the engines till 2012 with an option for extension, by which time I'd expect them to either have a tie in with someone else or be making their own engines to coincide with the road car project. All in all, they've done pretty well out of this.

Gismo
19th November 2009, 10:32 AM
They are still supplying the engines though;)But withdrawing their much needed sponsorship money

zimbo
19th November 2009, 10:41 AM
2010 is definately going to be interesting, with all these drivers changing teams and the new teams/drivers that are also entering :cool:

But I'll be rooting for my usual two suspects Rubens firstly and then Felipe second, my two favourites in that order. :D

euan
19th November 2009, 09:13 PM
2010 is definately going to be interesting, with all these drivers changing teams and the new teams/drivers that are also entering :cool:

But I'll be rooting for my usual two suspects Rubens firstly and then Felipe second, my two favourites in that order. :D

I can't see him being the same driver after the accident, but you never know.

baptie
19th November 2009, 11:42 PM
Canny wait to see the heat in the Ferrari garage, Massa & Alonso

Still conviced that Button moving is Mercedes doing!
Don't see it being a great mix, I would put cash on a Massa, Alonso team rather than Button & Hamilton

euan
20th November 2009, 09:52 AM
Canny wait to see the heat in the Ferrari garage, Massa & Alonso

Still conviced that Button moving is Mercedes doing!
Don't see it being a great mix, I would put cash on a Massa, Alonso team rather than Button & Hamilton

Alonso doesn't exactly have a good track record when he has a competitive team mate, nor one who is so embedded in the team like Massa is.

It'll be 2007 all over again, and Kimi will get his seat back ;-)

baptie
20th November 2009, 04:56 PM
It'll be 2007 all over again, and Kimi will get his seat back ;-)

LoL, exactly what I thought.
Alonso likes it to be his ball, his game. He's good, just no that good

Crombers
20th November 2009, 06:50 PM
Alonso likes it to be his ball, his game. He's good, just no that good

Let's just see ;)

Big Gordy
20th November 2009, 06:53 PM
Did I not hear that Kimi is going to retire if he doesn't get the McLaren drive:confused:

euan
21st November 2009, 10:18 AM
Did I not hear that Kimi is going to retire if he doesn't get the McLaren drive:confused:

The official line is that he has taken a sabbatical, so he's off racing in the WRC and possible Le Mans.

I think it worked out that if he didn't drive in F1, Ferrari would pay him 17Million, but if he did race, he'd be paid 10million. McLaren were offering 6 million, but then the opportunity to get Button came along so Kimi was out of the equation.

McLaren signed Button to get one over on Mercedes, who are now left with a big manufacturer support, good technical team, already at the right size of team and no big name drivers (Rosberg is good but a bit unproven in a lead role).

rosssp
21st November 2009, 03:06 PM
There are rumours flying around that Mr M Schumacher has been approached to join Mercedes next year to replace Jenson Button. He was appearently very disappointed when he was unable to sit in for Massa last season.
Fingers crossed as he will push all the younger guys and find out what there made off.

944s2man
23rd November 2009, 01:22 PM
Hence why Mercedes are wooing Schumacher!

zimbo
24th November 2009, 10:28 AM
Hence why Mercedes are wooing Schumacher!

1st of all :welcome:

They would have to do some SERIOUS WOOING to lure Schumacher away from the Ferrari fold and I mean SERIOUS!!!

baptie
24th November 2009, 11:08 AM
you never know, it happens in football often enough.

personally I think he knows what side his breeds buttered......and its prancing horse flavoured!

euan
24th November 2009, 11:26 AM
you never know, it happens in football often enough.

personally I think he knows what side his breeds buttered......and its prancing horse flavoured!

Is it really though? All the people he worked with aren't there anymore, his contract is up at the end of the year too.

Anything is possible in F1, who'd have thought Button would be in a McLaren?

N16SHP
24th November 2009, 11:37 AM
...and Ross Brawn was the mastermind behind his titles at Ferrari and Benneton!

Mini Ecosse
24th November 2009, 08:28 PM

Nico Rosberg confirmed as driver for the new merc team.
That makes one German driver in team.:D
May be another German driver soon:Whistle:;);)

euan
24th November 2009, 11:52 PM
Nico Rosberg confirmed as driver for the new merc team.
That makes one German driver in team.:D
May be another German driver soon:Whistle:;);)

Suitl it is then ;-)

Mini Ecosse
25th November 2009, 07:39 AM
Suitl it is then ;-)

Heidfield?

euan
25th November 2009, 03:22 PM
Heidfield?

I'd heard that rumour howver I suspect they will wait until they see what happens with Renault. I hear Renault are still contemplating pulling out, but want to see what penalty Toyota get as they had signed the concorde agreement so are liable for a fine. If it's not too big, I think Renault will leave.

If I had the choice of Heidfield or Kubica, I'd take the latter, and I'd take my chances and wait to see if I could get him as well.