PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Prices on Arran

GCA3N
18th November 2009, 01:09 PM
Since moving to arran I have been trying to fill up on the mainland before coming back and trying to make do, however for the first time in ages had to buy fuel over here.

Wait for it, firstly only 2 choices, Diesel or unleaded no premium over here, but could I afford it anyway as unleaded is 119p/litre:eek: and is set to go up again.

Needless to say I filled up and drove home. Disgusted at what I paid I decided to see just how far I can make it go. So for 13 long agonising miles I drove like I was on vapours, managed at one point, after doing 6 miles, I was doing 54mpg, then came the mountain section.

I still managed to get home at 49.8 mpg, I was well impressed, only negative was I nearly fell asleep twice at the wheel. Joking aside I don't kick the ar$e out of it but honestly don't think I could drive like that always, but still impressed bearing in mind this is not motorway, it's C class back roads with little or no flat straights.

badwolf340
18th November 2009, 08:45 PM
that's not a good price for unleaded Greig,hope it does not go up bye as much as they say.filled the JCW on the way up from top gear live and paid 120.9 for V-Power and it cost £57 to fill up.:argh::argh:.It's abouttime we did something about this in Britain.

KenL
18th November 2009, 08:47 PM
that's not a good price for unleaded Greig,hope it does not go up bye as much as they say.filled the JCW on the way up from top gear live and paid 120.9 for V-Power and it cost £57 to fill up.:argh::argh:.[B]It's abouttime we did something about this in Britain

Fuel prices throughout Europe are high (even higher than the UK), but that is probably due to the exchange rate changes.

Craig
18th November 2009, 09:22 PM
I feel your pain Greig. I am considering going back to normal unleaded as paying £1.13 per litre at the mo is out of order and with my mpg I am getting about 250 miles for about £45..... :argh:

GCA3N
18th November 2009, 10:18 PM
I feel your pain Greig. I am considering going back to normal unleaded as paying £1.13 per litre at the mo is out of order and with my mpg I am getting about 250 miles for about £45..... :argh:

What's that about 30 mpg. Am I not right in saying that your engine should really be run on the super stuff?

AndyP & Lenore
18th November 2009, 10:33 PM
What gets me is the last time fuel was £1.15 to £1.20/l, the barrel rate was up at $120 to $130. Just now it's $79 a barrel. So how come we're paying a fortune for fuel? And when the $/barrel rate does start to rocket again are we going to be looking at £1.60 a litre at the pumps.:frown:

A.:frown:

Scottie
18th November 2009, 10:57 PM
you got to remember the weak pound is not helping the price at the moment then we had the duty rise in the budget then we have the demand issues all helping to raise the price.

A lot of the retail sites on the islands are on a monthly platts price. Actually when you think about it if they got a load of unleaded on say the 1st of the month and then increase their pump price say a couple of weeks later without taking another load of fuel then it's the retailer and not the oil company trying to get a bigger margin.

Craig
19th November 2009, 12:14 AM
What's that about 30 mpg. Am I not right in saying that your engine should really be run on the super stuff?

my obd says about 27 to 28 mpg, but they are normally optomistic... :rolleyes:

maybe it will be better once it comes back from eastern... Got a 116D at the moment and it's getting 49mpg.... (now there's a thought ! ) :lol: I wonder how Mr King gets all the nice cars, I just get the dross... :frown:

zimbo
19th November 2009, 10:22 AM
HUH!!! Fuel prices :ragin: this is the main reason why I got rid of my AB ONE annd got my Cooper D... At the time I got my D during Q1 of 2008 I just really was finding it hard to be able to pay for Unleaded but wanted to stey in the mini family so to speak so got the D which I have nevere regretted getting, it is an awesome car. The only thing I do REALLY miss is my playmini exhaust :sad:

There is no surprise to see that we are getting right royaly shafted AGAIN as usual!! Its a friggin joke living here and basically getting robbed everyday for just about everything we need from fuel to food etc :ragin:

My dream of one day owning an 'S' may never happen at this rate :frown:

GCA3N
19th November 2009, 10:29 AM
HUH!!! Fuel prices :ragin: this is the main reason why I got rid of my AB ONE annd got my Cooper D... At the time I got my D during Q1 of 2008 I just really was finding it hard to be able to pay for Unleaded but wanted to stey in the mini family so to speak so got the D which I have nevere regretted getting, it is an awesome car. The only thing I do REALLY miss is my playmini exhaust :sad:

There is no surprise to see that we are getting right royaly shafted AGAIN as usual!! Its a friggin joke living here and basically getting robbed everyday for just about everything we need from fuel to food etc :ragin:

My dream of one day owning an 'S' may never happen at this rate :frown:

Diesel and petrol are roughly the same price, so it's just down to ecomomy, what you getting MPG wise, because if you can drive the S fairly carefully you'll easily get 40mpg, the problem is it asks for a wee bit beans sometimes. Are there no exhaust mods you can do?

zimbo
19th November 2009, 10:43 AM
I've not checked my MPG for a while Greig, but usually its between 60-70 then on spirited driving its about 55ish... :D

GCA3N
19th November 2009, 10:57 AM
I've not checked my MPG for a while Greig, but usually its between 60-70 then on spirited driving its about 55ish... :D

60-70 :eek: sweeeeet, silly question but is the cooper D quite a quiet diesel. Think a clubby D with the full JCW kit could be an option for the future.

zimbo
19th November 2009, 11:08 AM
I dont really notice the noise that much Greig, always have the radio on or its maybe just that I am now used to it that I dont notice it as much.

And it is very nippy when it wants to be and I'm sure a few people in here can verify that :D

GCA3N
19th November 2009, 11:10 AM
Went onto Mini website put together a Clubby D with the aero kit and 17'' two tone webspokes. In black with panaromic sun roof, full leather, MF steering wheel and a couple of other toys i would want , it came to £21335:eek:. Looked lovely though, just alot of money, might think about this in the summer.

Delboy
19th November 2009, 11:25 AM
Sounds very nice, but then it should be for that money :rolleyes:.

Can't see you with a diesel though, and what about the Crossover you were waiting for :confused:. Or the Clubman JCW :confused:. Or the convertible JCW :confused:. Or is the Clubman D for Kim? :Whistle:;)

Gismo
19th November 2009, 11:39 AM
And it is very nippy when it wants to be and I'm sure a few people in here can verify that :D:thumbs up:

GCA3N
19th November 2009, 01:37 PM
Sounds very nice, but then it should be for that money :rolleyes:.

Can't see you with a diesel though, and what about the Crossover you were waiting for :confused:. Or the Clubman JCW :confused:. Or the convertible JCW :confused:. Or is the Clubman D for Kim? :Whistle:;)

Just would like to get 60-70 to the gallon TBO. JCW convertible or clubman would be nice but I think even next year i'll be looking at 25-27K for a 12-18 month old one, that's if i can find one. As for a clubman for Kim, think that will be depending on how her Honda gets on, it's a fab car and is running well just now. Only time will tell, the way things are going in the north sea this might be my last new (nearly new) car for a while.:frown:

Crombers
19th November 2009, 04:27 PM
and what about the Crossover you were waiting for :confused:. Or the Clubman JCW :confused:. Or the convertible JCW :confused:. Or is the Clubman D for Kim? :Whistle:;)

Oh the 'bright lights' of temptation, or is this someone who is just want, want, want :rolleyes: :Whistle: