PDA

View Full Version : Pay Pal woes.

AndyP & Lenore
17th November 2009, 07:37 PM
Lenore and I found a set of Black bullets which were on sale on eBay but the sale had ended without the price being met. I sent the lassie selling them a message on eBay asking if they were still available and how much she wanted for them.

We agreed a price and I paid her today using Pay Pal. Then I get a message from her saying Pay Pal had taken £20 off the payment for fees and I should have sent the money as a "gift."

No frikking way I'm sending a complete stranger a "gift" of several hundred quid so she can avoid the fees, leaving me with no buyer protection at all.

She's agreed to refund the money "after she's spoken to her son to find out the best way to do it."

Anyways, my wee questions is, if she simply "pays" me the money I'm going to get hit with Pay Pal fee's, is there a way she should be able to "reverse" the payment or something like that so that I get my whole dosh back?

A.:frown:

The Dogfather
17th November 2009, 07:53 PM
She needs to refund the transaction rather than send the money

AndyP & Lenore
17th November 2009, 07:59 PM
She needs to refund the transaction rather than send the money

That's kinda what I thought. I hope that's what she does.

A.

Scottie
17th November 2009, 08:39 PM
I have had people pay me via paypal and the gift option and still paypal has taken fees from me and other times no fees have been taken. Not sure what the rules are exactly for the gift option.

L13ARG
17th November 2009, 09:51 PM
hi Andy i sell quite alot of stuff on ebay and paypal has a credit option to give part payment or total refund

Gismo
17th November 2009, 10:24 PM
The seller should have requested you to pay "extra" to cover the fee's which may have meant you not buying them.
In any event, you are both trading outside of eBay's rules and are not covered by their regulations, only PayPal's, as the seller she is duty bound to supply the goods you bought at the agreed price

AndyP & Lenore
17th November 2009, 10:31 PM
The seller should have requested you to pay "extra" to cover the fee's which may have meant you not buying them.
In any event, you are both trading outside of eBay's rules and are not covered by their regulations, only PayPal's, as the seller she is duty bound to supply the goods you bought at the agreed price

Yeah, really this is nothing to do with eBay. Only the communication has been done through eBay's horrible messaging system, which this lassie has insisted on using for some gawdforsaken reason.

Even if the law is on my side in that she's duty bound to sell the wheels at the agreed price.... forcing that on to her is another issue and will probably result in it taking forever to get my money back. At the end of the day, if I complained to Pay Pal, they may well tell her she MUST send the goods for the agreed price, but they can't physically force her to have them uplifted.:frown:

A.:sad:

Delboy
18th November 2009, 09:43 AM
Getting back to your original question about whether you'll get hit with Paypal fees if you get refunded, I've previously received full and partial refunds via Paypal and I did not get charged fees. You might find though that the seller does not get their fees refunded - I haven't ever issued a refund so can't help you with that one.

It's not any of my business but :rolleyes:, if it was me and I really wanted the wheels, then I'd probably offer to split the fees and pay an extra £10.

Good luck with whatever action you take :thumbs up:.

Big Gordy
18th November 2009, 10:23 AM
Andy its a simple case of her just refunding you your dosh back for the transaction:thumbs up: There's a tab for it on PAYPAL:Whistle: Did she ask you to send it as a gift:confused: If not then its hardly your fault is it:argh: If you had sent it as a gift YOU would have been hit with a fee as it charges YOU for the transaction:ragin:Ross just sent someone a £10 'gift' last week and I think paypal charged about 50p for the pleasure:yawn: I'm with Delboy on this.....if you really want the wheels offer to split the fee's 50/50:smilewinkgrin:

Big Gordy
18th November 2009, 10:28 AM

Alan's right:yes nod:
You're only covered by ebay if you actually buy the goods via an auction:hand:
Get her to list it as a 'buy it now' on ebay and that way your fully protected under the ebay rules:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
18th November 2009, 11:01 AM
Got my refund in full this morning.:thumbs up:

Gordy she never once asked for the payment as a "gift", so I never even thought to do it that way. However, if she had asked to paid as a gift I would have walked away anyway, because presumably there's no Pay Pal protection on that if the goods are materially not as described. Whereas, even outside of eBay if you pay for something by Pay Pal, there is some Pay pal protection if things go breasts up.

However, this whole experience has done nothing to quell my concerns about high value purchases on Pay Pal or eBay. It's just not worth it.

A.

Delboy
18th November 2009, 12:01 PM
However, this whole experience has done nothing to quell my concerns about high value purchases on Pay Pal or eBay. It's just not worth it.

I feel exactly the same :yes nod:. Glad you got the full refund :thumbs up:.

GCA3N
18th November 2009, 01:18 PM
Ebay used to be a case of get it on Ebay it's cheaper, now you have to look harder to get a bargain. They're still there but there's alot of over priced stuff now. One of the examples I got stung by was the aero grille for my old cooper after I bought it I found out that it cost slightly less direct from BMW. I like amazon now, get alot of good buys through them.

Ferengo
19th November 2009, 01:10 PM
Can't believe I missed this thread, lol.

Yeah, I never buy from sellers that offer to trade off Ebay. You don't know the person and are at the mercy of paypals bizare rules for refunds. At least Ebay has higher more strict rules and it's easier to get your money back ;).

In saying that though, if a buyer offers to buy off Ebay then I'm fine by it. Though I never ask to be sent via a gift. I think you did the right thing. They can also send you an invoice for goods, that gives you even more protection.

In the end you could always get them to relist with fees included in the price, then when the wheels arrive complain to ebay and get yer money back, they keep their cash and you get to keep the wheels. Worked for me twice, lol :D

AndyP & Lenore
19th November 2009, 01:55 PM
In the end you could always get them to relist with fees included in the price, then when the wheels arrive complain to ebay and get yer money back, they keep their cash and you get to keep the wheels. Worked for me twice, lol :D

I just never seem to get that kind of luck.:frown:

A.

AndyP & Lenore
19th November 2009, 04:51 PM
Arrgggg! It goes on.:argh::argh:

My pay pal balance wasn't going to be enough to fund the wheels. I have a normal linked bank account that I use with Pay Pal, but having been stung before with Pay Pal fraudsters, I keep next to nothing in that account.

So, I transferred TO that linked account so that Pay Pal can take the balance out to fund the whole payment to the seller.

When the payment was refunded to me, I checked my own bank account and saw that Pay Pal hadn't taken the balance yet, so I figured as the transaction had effectively been cancelled, I moved those funds back out my linked account to a safe account.

Checked my online banking today and my pay pal tried to take the balance today! As there isn't enough funds in the account my bank have hit me with a £35 fee for a declined DD! **** *** ***** ******* **** bankers!

Just spoke to a nice Pay Pal chap in Mumbai who managed to convince me they will not try and take the payment again, and that they will refund me the £35. Yeah, right! How much you all bet I never see a dime of that?

What a sad, sorry frikking experience.:frown:

A.:frown:

Ferengo
20th November 2009, 01:45 PM
That's happend to me. I sent money to Hammy (£10), realised it was the wrong email address so I cancelled it. Then sent the money to the correct email address and paypal took £20 out and refunded me £10 10 days later. Worst thing was the other email address didn't exist so no-one claimed it so the money should never have been taken out.

So I've learned that Paypal take around 3-5 working days to take money from your account.

Big Gordy
20th November 2009, 02:19 PM
Just wait for the day when you sell something, buyer contacts you with a problem, you agree to refund him the money everythings OK up to this point:rolleyes: If you've spent the money the buyer sent you on another ebay item and don't have enough in your paypal account to cover the refund then the fun starts:argh: Even though I pay most of my ebaying direct from my mastercard (unlike you Andy I rarely keep any dosh in my paypal account) paypal won't take a refund from it:eek: I had to log my current account with them (5 days while they transfer 2 small amounts into your account to make sure its actually yours), then transfer money from it to paypal (7 days to clear) then I had to issue the refund (7 -10 days they said:argh:) Good job the guy who was waiting for the refund was OK about it as it took well over 2 weeks for him to get his money back:thud:And they say electronic banking is quick......my arse:ragin:

Gismo
20th November 2009, 03:10 PM
And they say electronic banking is quick......my arse:ragin:Generally it is quick, but not with PayPal, they hold onto your money to get the interest