PDA

View Full Version : de flaping jcw air box ??

stoney
15th November 2009, 09:30 AM
ok i have the 210 air box in my jcw and have been reading that some of you de-flap it

i want to ask why what benafit will this have and how do i do it ??

any help would be brill thanx

stoney :D

Craig
15th November 2009, 12:24 PM
as I understand it, it will allow more air thro (as that is what the flap does at about 4,500rpm). . You will notice this with the change of tone from the supercharger. More air in the engine = bigger bang. :thumbs up:

I haven't a clue how to do it and won't even contemplate it til my car is out of warranty... ;)

stoney
15th November 2009, 01:05 PM
as I understand it, it will allow more air thro (as that is what the flap does at about 4,500rpm). . You will notice this with the change of tone from the supercharger. More air in the engine = bigger bang. :thumbs up:

I haven't a clue how to do it and won't even contemplate it til my car is out of warranty... ;)

mine is well out of the warranty any way ;) just some thing i have seen peeps saying about and wonderd if you destroy the flap or can it be put back in at a later date if need be

Crombers
15th November 2009, 01:54 PM
won't even contemplate it til my car is out of warranty... ;)

& by that time folks Craigyboy will have traded in :rolleyes:

Craig
15th November 2009, 02:08 PM
& by that time folks Craigyboy will have traded in :rolleyes:

:moonie: ;)

RyanK
15th November 2009, 08:56 PM
When you remove the airbox top that houses the filter, undo the four cross head screws towards the back (you'll see when you remove it, there the only ones) then the flap will just fall out (pull the hook incase it doesn't just fall out). Put the 4 cross heads back on and there you go, flapless http://www.minitorque.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/85821-testing-the-mini-madness-jcw-filter-upgrade.html

You will also need to take the electrical connection (vaccum pipe) off of your box seens as its a works car. This links to somewhere at the front of the engine and basically controls when the flap opens. As craig said at about 4.5k

Also get yourself an ITG filter from vechio engineering while our at it

stoney
15th November 2009, 09:48 PM
When you remove the airbox top that houses the filter, undo the four cross head screws towards the back (you'll see when you remove it, there the only ones) then the flap will just fall out (pull the hook incase it doesn't just fall out). Put the 4 cross heads back on and there you go, flapless http://www.minitorque.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/drivetrain-cooper-s/85821-testing-the-mini-madness-jcw-filter-upgrade.html

You will also need to take the electrical connection (vaccum pipe) off of your box seens as its a works car. This links to somewhere at the front of the engine and basically controls when the flap opens. As craig said at about 4.5k

Also get yourself an ITG filter from vechio engineering while our at it

cool will have a look and see what i think i all ready have an ITG filter in :thumbs up:

stoney
18th February 2010, 12:17 AM
This one craig

Craig
18th February 2010, 08:32 AM
Cheers Rob - saved it for later ;)

big pete
20th February 2010, 10:47 AM
Or take it out all together , buy a Dave F modified lid get a standard bottom and sell the Jcw box and have loads a money left over to buy more good bits Stoney!!:thumbs up:

stoney
20th February 2010, 01:10 PM
mine is deflaped with an itg filter in already and got maped that way so will be stayin that way for a while till i do my other few bit that i have planed

Craig
20th February 2010, 06:00 PM
Well, thats my airbox deflapped and the ITG filter installed. I didn't do anything else, other than take the flap out. (I know Ryan had mentioned about an electrical connection... but I had no idea where it was and didn't want to cause probs with car... :lol:)

I took the car for a 5 min run and I don't seem to have the "step" at 4.5k rpm and the noise inside the cabin from the supercharger is MUCH more. :clap: :clap: Defo worth doing :thumbs up:

Thanks for the info... Of note however is that taking the lid off the box was a pain... It took me so long to do, I nearly gave up. I think I may have broken something at the back end taking it off as the back of the airbox doesn't sit perfectly flush now... :rolleyes:

stoney
20th February 2010, 06:15 PM
good man so whats next on the list ???

Craig
20th February 2010, 06:33 PM
Springs being done next week, then start to save up for manifold... with Oxford and the Highland Tour, it's likely to be after summer now for the manifold... After that, I will see, might change the intercooler too... :yes nod:

stoney
20th February 2010, 06:55 PM
what springs did u go for ?? if going for a i/c i would say GRS are prob best out there and manifold u know about
i would also say get ur self a strut brace as i sold my JCW one at end of last week so been running with no strut for a week till i got my GTT one yesterday fitted to day and boy what a difrence in the way it feels but even my old JCW one made a diffrence but the GTT one is a class of it own

Craig
20th February 2010, 07:04 PM
what springs did u go for ?? if going for a i/c i would say GRS are prob best out there and manifold u know about
i would also say get ur self a strut brace as i sold my JCW one at end of last week so been running with no strut for a week till i got my GTT one yesterday fitted to day and boy what a difrence in the way it feels but even my old JCW one made a diffrence but the GTT one is a class of it own

Got KW's as I was going to get Eibach, but they only drop the car about 10-15mm where the KW's do 30mm... :thumbs up:

If I was getting a strut brace, it would be the GTT, seem to be better than most. It's far down my list... :rolleyes: :lol: