PDA

View Full Version : how do i change my little side lights ?

lowrider
14th November 2009, 07:59 PM
Noticed today that one of my front side lights is out.(the ones in the fried egg!)
What bulbs do I need and how do I change them ?
Thanks in advance :thumbs up:

joec73
14th November 2009, 08:20 PM
If your car is an R53 just unplug the wiring to the bulb then turn the holder 1/4 of a turn and pull it out.
the bulbs are 501 type also known as w5w.
just done this yesterday and changed the sidelights to the philips bluevision ones to get a closer match to the xenons

Livi
14th November 2009, 08:59 PM
Plus have small hands!!

I got susan to change mine!! HAH!!:Whistle::lol::lol::lol:

lowrider
15th November 2009, 07:44 PM
Sorry forgot to mention r50 2002 cooper.Is the method the same as the r53? I take it you have to reach under the bumper for access?

Craig
15th November 2009, 09:24 PM
Sorry forgot to mention r50 2002 cooper.Is the method the same as the r53? I take it you have to reach under the bumper for access?

nope, once you have the bonnet open you can get your hand in to change. As david says, small hands are best. I change my own, but come out with cuts :rolleyes::thumbs up:

lowrider
8th December 2009, 04:35 PM
Got the cable off but how do I get into the bulb. It is covered by a black plastic tube does this twist off (clock or anti-clock) or just pull off ?

Fartin Martin
8th December 2009, 04:54 PM
I don't think it has a cover..mines was just a bulb..as far as i can remember!..you sure its the right one you've taken out??

Martin

Craig
8th December 2009, 05:51 PM
Got the cable off but how do I get into the bulb. It is covered by a black plastic tube does this twist off (clock or anti-clock) or just pull off ?

you shouldn't have the cable off as it is connected to the bulb holder...:confused: it only twists one way, about a quarter turn, then pull out. The bulb then just pulls out and push in the new one. :thumbs up:

you may have used the indent to disconnect the bulb holder from the cable, I would suggest to put it back on and then it's easier to twist of the bulb holder. :yes nod:

hope this helps. ;)

lowrider
8th December 2009, 06:01 PM
yip I have used the indent. I clipped it back in and will try again tomorrow.bloody tight!
:thumbs up: