PDA

View Full Version : Let the Tuning commence..........

TheDoctor46
14th November 2009, 03:01 PM
Right, our MCS isnt fast enough for me. Dont get me wrong, its a great wee car but i need a wee bit more poke!!!:D
I'm not saying i'm going on the hunt for 250bhp here but like i say, a wee bit more than standard. Dont want to waste my money on the JCW kit from the Stealers, i know its good stuff but its bloody exspensive!!!:eek:

So, my Q's are.........what kind of stuff should i do?? Also, what gains can i expect from them and cost??? Where can i go to get them fitted etc etc.....
I'm open to suggestions on all these Q's so fire away!!!

birdog
14th November 2009, 04:00 PM
I`m no expert but I have a list kinda planned

Air filter and remove flap.
Supercharger pulley reduce -15%
These 2 are done

Crank pulley increase +4 (this makes the supercharger pulley equivalent to -18%)
Exhaust
charge cooler
Re-map
NOS (Maybe, but maybe not)

The air filter is quite cheap, and removing the flap is easy.
Supercharger pulley isn`t too expensive but a nightmare to change, I got a garage to do it for me and the guy said he is never doing it again.

Crank pulley isn`t to expensive but I`m going to get someone to change that for me too.
Exhausts are expensive, £500 ish I think, but easy to change.
Charge cooler is mega expensive about £1000, but doesn`t look to difficult to change.
Re-map, have been quoted about £600 for this.
NOS, the basic kit is about £600, but I`m going to get an extra part that gradually increases the power, so the gearbox should survive.

Then replacement tyres 4 times a year

Lots of cash needed, but good fun.

TheDoctor46
14th November 2009, 04:08 PM
The standard MCS's run really hot standard, so would the reduced pulley 15% make it run even hotter??
Whats actually needed for say 195bhp-210bhp??

birdog
14th November 2009, 04:18 PM
And engine strut aswell, forgot about that.

When the JCW kit is fitted they fit a -11% pulley to the supercharger.
I changed mine to a -15%, didn`t make a big difference but its on the list.

Again, I`m no expert but I believe the pulley reduction won`t have much affect on the heat problems.
Reducing the pulley will put more air into the engine, the engine management will pick up on this and increase the fuel going in, so the temperature shouldn`t be affected.

The place we start to get problems is, reduced pulley means the supercharger is spinning faster than normal when we get to the red line, I think 15000 RPM on the SC is max, if we go above that on a regular basis the life of the SC will be affected, JCW do -11% pulley, bmw think that is in the safe range for the SC, when we get to -18% its recomended not to red line the car, the SC will gov above 15000RPM .

AS FAR AS I KNOW, AGAIN, NO EXPERT HERE, JUST READ LOTS.

birdog
14th November 2009, 04:19 PM
Go here

http://www.gtt.uk.com/packages.asp

GCA3N
14th November 2009, 04:20 PM
For me easiest way to get some extra bhp is remap, exhaust and cold feed induction. You could easily get all this for around £600-700 and it would substantially increase your BHP. Certainly take it over 200 anyway. I've done 2 off them just need a re- map now.

R32GTR
14th November 2009, 04:21 PM
Go here

http://www.gtt.uk.com/packages.asp

dont :hand:

1320mini are the only ones who have ever proven their results

Craig
14th November 2009, 05:26 PM
If you want someone local, speak to Craig Noble. ;)

as for changes, reduced supercharger pulley, Manifold, cold air induction and remap should give you up around the 200 to 210bhp mark. :thumbs up:

I could take you out in my car sometime Ian so you can get a feel for how another 40 horses is. :yes nod::yes nod:

RyanK
14th November 2009, 05:36 PM
Right, our MCS isnt fast enough for me. Dont get me wrong, its a great wee car but i need a wee bit more poke!!!:D
I'm not saying i'm going on the hunt for 250bhp here but like i say, a wee bit more than standard. Dont want to waste my money on the JCW kit from the Stealers, i know its good stuff but its bloody exspensive!!!:eek:

So, my Q's are.........what kind of stuff should i do?? Also, what gains can i expect from them and cost??? Where can i go to get them fitted etc etc.....
I'm open to suggestions on all these Q's so fire away!!!

www.minitorque.com (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/www.minitorque.com) - All the tuning advice you will ever need here. Do not waste your time with a crank pulley

GCA3N
14th November 2009, 05:57 PM
I could take you out in my car sometime Ian so you can get a feel for how another 40 horses is. :yes nod::yes nod:

Show off:p:lol:

TheDoctor46
14th November 2009, 06:51 PM

I'll hold you to that Craig!!!:thumbs up:
Is there much difference then Craig?? I wouldnt want to spend all that money on the mods to say "is that it??!!" :lol:

GCA3N
14th November 2009, 07:34 PM
Is there much difference then Craig?? I wouldnt want to spend all that money on the mods to say "is that it??!!" :lol:

Is your life insurance upto date.:Whistle:

leeg87
14th November 2009, 09:15 PM
You found the right place by posting on minitorque to be honest, thats where the experts are....

There is some advice on this thread that "I" think is incorrect and shouldnt be the chosen route i.e. air filter / exhaust / remap combo taking you to the power level you desire - without more air going into the engine by means of atleast a pulley you wont get anywhere near it. Fair enough on a '56, but you have a '53 ;)
Crank pulley - dont go there!

proven route is: (in this order)
Pulley + belt + plugs
Intercooler
Manifold
Camshaft
Remap

Optional extras
CAI (dont do much)
Cat back (dont do much)
Head & injectors (does loooooads)

For 210 bhp though, I'd, as MrFom suggested on mt go for pulley, belt, plugs and IC

p.s. I would take you out on mine and let you feel what an extra 113bhp feels like, or 120 if you have a prefacelift :Whistle:

R32GTR
14th November 2009, 09:15 PM
If you want someone local, speak to Craig Noble. ;)

as for changes, reduced supercharger pulley, Manifold, cold air induction and remap should give you up around the 200 to 210bhp mark. :thumbs up:

would love to see if your JCW is making the power ive never seen one get near the 210 quoted,

TheDoctor46
14th November 2009, 10:11 PM
For 210 bhp though, I'd, as MrFom suggested on mt go for pulley, belt, plugs and IC

p.s. I would take you out on mine and let you feel what an extra 113bhp feels like, or 120 if you have a prefacelift :Whistle:

Its the facelifted one mate:thumbs up:

Thats exactly what i'm going for from Mr Fom:thumbs up:

And yes, i'd def want a run out on yours!!!!:eek::thumbs up:

Craig
14th November 2009, 10:22 PM

Is your life insurance upto date.:Whistle:

nae worries ian, will be thro at eastern on Tues about 5 ;)

and greig... :moonie:

Craig
14th November 2009, 10:24 PM
would love to see if your JCW is making the power ive never seen one get near the 210 quoted,

well tbh we are never gonna find out, cos it ain't going on any rolling road... :rolleyes: so I'll just have to live with what I've got and I'm happy with it. :yes nod:

birdog
14th November 2009, 11:31 PM
Crank pulley - dont go there!

Why not ? just out of curiosity, was next on my list to do, have read some interesting things ?

If you say not to bother I`ll move onto the next thing.

R32GTR
14th November 2009, 11:34 PM
Why not ? just out of curiosity, was next on my list to do, have read some interesting things ?

If you say not to bother I`ll move onto the next thing.

can and has caused oil pump gears to fail due to increased vibrations, also prone to come flying off the crank shaft (alloy pulley on steel crank) and thermaly dyamics takes care of the rest :thumbs up: (never trust a mini tuner who installs or promtes them)

R32GTR
14th November 2009, 11:35 PM
well tbh we are never gonna find out, cos it ain't going on any rolling road... :rolleyes: so I'll just have to live with what I've got and I'm happy with it. :yes nod:

why not ? id love to know if it wasnt up to par and what can be done to make more speed, ive seen some JCW cars pick up 10+ bhp just buy having the JCW map removed and the injectors re-scaled properly.

Craig
14th November 2009, 11:56 PM

why not ? id love to know if it wasnt up to par and what can be done to make more speed, ive seen some JCW cars pick up 10+ bhp just buy having the JCW map removed and the injectors re-scaled properly.

but your missing my point. I am happy with it as it is, and don't really want anymore speed. ;)

If anything in the future I may want a remap to get more mpg.. :lol:

birdog
15th November 2009, 12:16 AM
can and has caused oil pump gears to fail due to increased vibrations, also prone to come flying off the crank shaft (alloy pulley on steel crank) and thermaly dyamics takes care of the rest :thumbs up: (never trust a mini tuner who installs or promtes them)

Excelent, I had read about the alloy against steel problem, some companies say it no problem, companies that sell and fit them.
It is removed from my list, cheers very much.

Any suggestion for exhaust type/brand ? want it to look original, not bothered about noise, just the best type for BHP ?

R32GTR
15th November 2009, 12:27 AM
your JCW cat back will be more than adaquate for moment, dont waste money on the exhaust, the janspeed manifold is the best upgrade along with a newman cam and a tune from 1320 or mynes, when the JCW cat back does fail (they do) replace it with the john cooper motor sport version, same looks bit more sound

birdog
15th November 2009, 02:55 AM
your JCW cat back will be more than adaquate for moment, dont waste money on the exhaust, the janspeed manifold is the best upgrade along with a newman cam and a tune from 1320 or mynes, when the JCW cat back does fail (they do) replace it with the john cooper motor sport version, same looks bit more sound

Okay, have found the manifold, costs about £450, and the newman cam for about £200. I`ll have to save up for a wee while.
Changing the cam is definatly beyond me, whats the manifold like to change ? I dont have a car lift but do have access to a pit.

stoney
15th November 2009, 09:27 AM
well i have the jcw 210 kit in my car but before i got the 210 kit on i had the 200 kit and put on a top mount grs intercooler gtt/janspeed manifold and de cat and cat back exuast and got 210 on the rolling road now have the full 210 kit in and an itg air filter dont know whats its kicking out now as not been back to the rolling road as yet

my next move is the newman cam shaft for my birthday

Crombers
15th November 2009, 11:17 AM
so I'll just have to live with what I've got and I'm happy with it. :yes nod:

You heard it here first folks :rolleyes:

R32GTR
15th November 2009, 11:22 AM
Okay, have found the manifold, costs about £450, and the newman cam for about £200. I`ll have to save up for a wee while.
Changing the cam is definatly beyond me, whats the manifold like to change ? I dont have a car lift but do have access to a pit.

manifold is easy if you can get under the car, cam requires a proper set up so that is one for someone who really knows what they are doing.

badwolf340
15th November 2009, 06:36 PM
For me easiest way to get some extra bhp is remap, exhaust and cold feed induction. You could easily get all this for around £600-700 and it would substantially increase your BHP. Certainly take it over 200 anyway. I've done 2 off them just need a re- map now.

who are you thinking of using Greig,had my early birthday pressie when we were down seeing MPH/Topgear live,and very pleased

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq359/badwolf340/img001.jpg

R32GTR
15th November 2009, 06:58 PM
who are you thinking of using Greig,had my early birthday pressie when we were down seeing MPH/Topgear live,and very pleased

you have an R56 which can gain a lot of power through a re-map, R53s need a pulley and other modifications first, re-mapping an R53 is pointless until the injectors are changed when you do the cam shaft.

badwolf340
15th November 2009, 07:15 PM
you have an R56 which can gain a lot of power through a re-map, R53s need a pulley and other modifications first, re-mapping an R53 is pointless until the injectors are changed when you do the cam shaft.

did not say otherwise ,just asking Greig which route he was taking.....

TheDoctor46
15th November 2009, 07:58 PM
I'm going for 15% pulley+belt, uprated plugs, filter, GRS Cooler and one ball mod.:thumbs up:

stoney
15th November 2009, 09:54 PM
I'm going for 15% pulley+belt, uprated plugs, filter, GRS Cooler and one ball mod.:thumbs up:

good set up i would get an itg filter denso plugs and as for the rest dont realy know :thumbs up:

leeg87
15th November 2009, 10:31 PM
I would go NGK over denso ANY day

R32GTR
16th November 2009, 12:57 AM
dam right NKG 8's FTW unless you want a denso down your cat or up your intercooler

john
16th November 2009, 03:34 AM
I would go NGK over denso ANY day

Each to their own, I would go Denso every time!!

leeg87
16th November 2009, 07:24 AM
Each to their own, I would go Denso every time!!

Yeah but what do you know :laugh:

joke

stoney
16th November 2009, 08:25 AM
dam right NKG 8's FTW unless you want a denso down your cat or up your intercooler

Well I have them in my jcw s works with a few mods and they seem good to me :-)

R32GTR
16th November 2009, 12:56 PM
and ive seen what happens when you run them on an MCS thats making any decent power ;) one was spat down cylinder two of my car