PDA

View Full Version : Road Tar

GCA3N
13th November 2009, 04:04 PM
Need some advice folks.Went out the other day after getting home, from offshore, to clean the car and noticed it was covered in road tar on both doors and the boot lid. I presumed I had got this from driving through various road works coming back from Aberdeen. Anyway cleaned up the mess and resined and waxed the paintwork. I was out yesterday and again the car was even worse (defo no road works over here, roads are disgraceful) Anyway I have a number of questions needed answered.

1. Is anyone else experiencing this just now.
2. What is the best product to use to clean road tar off, and where can i get it.
3. How can I prevent it getting onto the car in the first place. (I am thinking all round mud flaps)
4. Is there a product that I can put onto help protect against road tar.

I spent 4 hours today getting all the bits off, then having to resin and wax again, getting frustrated with it.

Thanks everyone

Bazthemod
13th November 2009, 04:12 PM
Try having a white car shows up even more! :rolleyes:

Get some Autosmart Tardis best stuff for removing with ease. However it will still strip your wax off.

GCA3N
13th November 2009, 04:14 PM
Try having a white car shows up even more! :rolleyes:

Get some Autosmart Tardis best stuff for removing with ease. However it will still strip your wax off.

I bet you it's a nightmare mate, where do i get this stuff Baz?

ianking
13th November 2009, 04:33 PM
Autosmart tardis is by far the best tar remover.

I get mine from my local autosmart rep but failing having a rep on Arran you can get it from Polished Bliss.

Doesnt matter how much wax you put on tar/bitumen will bond to all surfaces of the car.

Sounds like the road workers opened the section of road before the curing had completed, either that or the council had been out with the jet patcher repairing roads on the cheap and making a mess everywhere.

GCA3N
13th November 2009, 04:46 PM
, either that or the council had been out with the jet patcher repairing roads on the cheap and making a mess everywhere.

That's exactly what they do, all the time over here.

john
13th November 2009, 04:47 PM
You could just join the manly club I'm sure gizmo will have some tips for you :D

GCA3N
13th November 2009, 04:53 PM
You could just join the manly club I'm sure gizmo will have some tips for you :D

Manly club...do you mean Manky club, or is it is you keep you car dirty you are manly;):lol:

GCA3N
13th November 2009, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=ianking;226970]Autosmart tardis is by far the best tar remover.

QUOTE]

Bought some on Fleabay, £5 for 500ml, see how I get on with that.

john
13th November 2009, 05:07 PM
Manly club...do you mean Manky club, or is it is you keep you car dirty you are manly;):lol:
Ok it was good old iPhone spell check corrections but manly works too.

GCA3N
13th November 2009, 05:10 PM
Ok it was good old iPhone spell check corrections but manly works too.

iphone auto correct can be nightmare, but of all the auto corrects that ones works well.:thumbs up:

KenL
13th November 2009, 05:18 PM
I bet you it's a nightmare mate, where do i get this stuff Baz?

I bought some (a small bottle) from someone on Ebay.

GCA3N
13th November 2009, 05:26 PM
Bought some on Fleabay, £5 for 500ml, see how I get on with that.[/QUOTE]

I bought some (a small bottle) from someone on Ebay.

yup got it:thumbs up:

Stewart
13th November 2009, 06:01 PM
When I was doing my stone chips with that stuff from the states I had to clear the areas from wax and polish, so decided the next wash to try and polish and seal the car and try and get some wax on it before winter. So really I needed to shift the tar spots on my doors etc.

I just used the AG Tar & Glue remover but it’s annoying as hell when you know its taking off you protection. It’s a crappy time consuming job that you really need to sit yourself down around the car.

I did my wheels with it as well to remove the tar and brake dust so it took off the CG stuff I had on them. Without a garage it’s like fighting a losing battle.

GCA3N
13th November 2009, 06:35 PM
When I was doing my stone chips with that stuff from the states I had to clear the areas from wax and polish, so decided the next wash to try and polish and seal the car and try and get some wax on it before winter. So really I needed to shift the tar spots on my doors etc.

I just used the AG Tar & Glue remover but it’s annoying as hell when you know its taking off you protection. It’s a crappy time consuming job that you really need to sit yourself down around the car.

I did my wheels with it as well to remove the tar and brake dust so it took off the CG stuff I had on them. Without a garage it’s like fighting a losing battle.

your right it's a losing battle,missing my garage now. Just going to stop driving it over here, just have it as an expensive out door ornament, looking for a cover for it now.

Crombers
14th November 2009, 10:16 AM
You guys take this all too seriously :rolleyes:

It's dirt man, live with it :thumbs up:

PS ......... my MINI is in my garage & it's 'slightly' manky AND I don't give a feck :hand:

(oh & to answer your Question : Barton Chemicals - Bitumen Tar & Glue Remover, as advised by the Pit Crew dude)

Stewart
14th November 2009, 03:04 PM
Aye but see when you own one of those more reliable Mini’s that you can drive everyday they need the odd wash…………:D

GCA3N
14th November 2009, 04:11 PM
Aye but see when you own one of those more reliable Mini’s that you can drive everyday they need the odd wash…………:D

:laugh::clap:

Crombers
15th November 2009, 11:21 AM

Well I suppose the fatter & uglier you are the more area there is to cover & you wanna try & look your best :bigwave:

ianking
15th November 2009, 05:38 PM
Autosmart tardis is far better than the Barton chem stuff.

We used to use some Barton stuff when I worked at the garage until I persuaded them to change suplier.

Stewart
15th November 2009, 05:44 PM
Touché:D

GCA3N
20th November 2009, 03:42 PM
Tried the tar remover today and it works a treat, nice one. Did not realise how much it was splattered all over the car, it was a mess.

GP BILLY
21st November 2009, 09:23 AM
Great stuff the tardis grieg:thumbs up::thumbs up: the autosmart rep
stays in Irvine so if you want sum give me a shout:thumbs up: can meet you
at Ardrossan...
5 Ltr £14 I think

If anybody else wants some to try and there are down my way
give me a shout (think I have about 10 ltr left:eek:)

GCA3N
21st November 2009, 11:40 AM
That's fantastic thankyou. I paid a fiver for 500ml but that includes p&p to Arran so didn't think that was too bad.

MrMischief
28th January 2010, 10:43 AM
I use the AG tar remover now & again but with the roads being the state they're in just now & being repaired on a daily basis we're losing the battle.

I've taken the dremel to a set of mini front mudflaps so that they fit the JCW aerokit & it's helped to stop some of the tar from collecting on the doors. :thumbs up:

If the rest of the dirt gets dark enough then you don't see the tar :smilewinkgrin:

Good luck
Steve

GCA3N
28th January 2010, 10:51 AM
I use the AG tar remover now & again but with the roads being the state they're in just now & being repaired on a daily basis we're losing the battle.

I've taken the dremel to a set of mini front mudflaps so that they fit the JCW aerokit & it's helped to stop some of the tar from collecting on the doors. :thumbs up:

If the rest of the dirt gets dark enough then you don't see the tar :smilewinkgrin:

Good luck
Steve

Cheers, going through this stuff like Theres no tomorrow. Had to do all the windows yesterday. The thing that really annoys me is having to put on the resins and waxes afterwards.

Stewart
28th January 2010, 12:37 PM
Aye when you use the AG-TR on the doors like I did you feel your rubbing out your previous work with the polish and wax. I got a good polish and sealant and wax on before the really bad weather hit and it’s not too bad with regard to things sticking on the paint.

Most seems to jetwash off.

But I have conceded that its not getting polished, Sealed and waxed for a few months.

GCA3N
28th January 2010, 12:48 PM
I did the ag resin atleast. Goes on dead easy and feels like there is some protection.

MrMischief
28th January 2010, 02:06 PM
Cheers, going through this stuff like Theres no tomorrow. Had to do all the windows yesterday. The thing that really annoys me is having to put on the resins and waxes afterwards.

I agree, but you only have two options...

1. Do half the job by only cleaning "around the tar" & leaving it on the paintwork until the weather/roads improve (could take some time :lol:)
2. Use a tar remover & rewax it afterwards - PITA

GCA3N
28th January 2010, 02:11 PM
Honestly rob you would not believe how bad it is. I used to get the odd spot here and there it's all over the car, it kills me. See u Sunday.

k3ith
29th January 2010, 11:44 PM
I usually use a wax spray - carnauba based if I am using tar remover in these conditions its some protection rather than none. Then the big clay come June time.

GCA3N
30th January 2010, 12:31 AM
I usually use a wax spray - carnauba based if I am using tar remover in these conditions its some protection rather than none. Then the big clay come June time.

Sounds good. But I am sad and clean my car.....well too many times. It just gets me down seeing all the tar. spend 2 hours the other day and it was all back 2 days later.

Fester
30th January 2010, 09:57 PM
Grieg, I have mudflaps all round and for some reason I do not get a single tar spot on the car, I do not think it is the flaps as they are really small as you know, I keep the car topped up with a regular coat of wax (more coats than is needed) I think (in my head) that this stops the tar sticking.
Friends Fiesta that used to get the same treatment as mine is absolutley covered in tar spots since he stopped cleaning regularly. Worth putting in the extra work for the extra protection.

GCA3N
30th January 2010, 10:31 PM
Dude if you knew me well u would realise that this is not the case. I am a total clean freak with my car. I pre wash wash(double bucket and grit guard) double rinse, aqua blade, pre wax carnuba cleaner, 2 coats of ag resin, and 1 coat of megs wax. Chemical guys trim gel on all the trim, ag's glass cleaner then megs tyre dress on the tyres....every time...well most times. I did this 3 times this week and each time I do it I cry as I have to start the whole process with the tar remover, which also has the added bonus of stripping all the products off.

Craig
30th January 2010, 10:53 PM
tell me you don't use and aqua blade... :thud: I;ll have words with you about that tomorrow.... :frown:

Fester
30th January 2010, 11:37 PM
aqua blade!!!!!

The Devils Tool, you're worried about tar spots I'd be crying at the scratches,

Maybe is the mudflaps that is saving mine then. :smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
31st January 2010, 09:01 AM
It was recommended to me. Been using it for a while with no adverse effects...so far.