PDA

View Full Version : Sky Box's transmit too!

AndyP & Lenore
13th November 2009, 12:03 AM
Here's a good one for you all.

Had Sky + HD installed the other day. The installer was a greasy subcontractor, not a guy in a Sky van. He was obviously absolutely clueless. At the end of the install, he reached round the back of the box and said - and I kid you not on this one - "I need to set your box to download the latest software. A lot of people don't realise that your dish will actually transmit to the satellite too as well as receive tv programmes. So, I've set your box to tell the satellite to send it the latest EPG, it should be finished in 10 mins or so.":laugh::laugh:

At this point he looked round at me, and saw me standing there with my gob hanging open with incredulity. I said: "OK. I see it's downloading the latest EPG, but just to absolutely clear, there is no way in hell that box and my dish are transmitting anywhere. You were joking right?"

"No." Comes the reply, with the straightest face I've ever seen.

"OK. I think you should know there is absolutely no way whatsoever with that box, that LNB and that dish that any signals can be transmitted anywhere. That satellite must be 50 miles high, and you think my wee dish will reach it, even if it was equipped to transmit?"

He just stands there, goes very red in the face and says: "Oh well, I guess they've been lying to me then."

At this point he left with a cloud of smoke coming from his van wheels.

Also after he left I discovered he hadn't changed the RF channel to suit my other TV's so had to plug my old box in, check the number, then change the number on the new box. A lot of farting about I shouldn't have had to do, and wouldn't have had to do if the installer was even half way intelligent.

A.

Bazthemod
13th November 2009, 12:11 AM
lol bleak times! Sadly they recruit temps/contractors over xmas period as signups go mad.... creates lots of problems lol :rolleyes:

GCA3N
13th November 2009, 12:15 AM
Oh my! Scary.

AndyP & Lenore
13th November 2009, 12:24 AM
I've got a mate who's a senior analyst for sky in livvi. I told him what the guy said and h just said "we employ 'care in the community' people, what do you expect. Lol" :laugh:

A.

Stewart
13th November 2009, 12:39 AM
Contractors did my sky and a few weeks later I had to get sky out to actually screw in the dish this time and not just leave the screws loose so the dish could move…..

The old sky plus is quite smart I fancy it but I want it as a free upgrade. I like the way you can tell it to record off your I-phone, my mate did it in the car when his wife forgot Eastenders was on. I was like youe ****ing me, you can do that with the phone. :eek:

AndyP & Lenore
13th November 2009, 12:42 AM
Well reminded Stewart. I need to pair my iPhone with my new box. :thumbs up:

Stewart
13th November 2009, 12:44 AM
Now that’s just showing off….:D

Delboy
13th November 2009, 09:32 AM
Sounds like you got a dodgy installer for sure :frown:. I upgraded to Sky+HD in February this year and was lucky enough to get a very good installer - he knew what was he was doing and was very helpful in moving my existing Sky+ box into another room to replace the old Sky box that was there already.

As for the Sky box transmitting, don't they communicate back to Sky via the telephone line?

GCA3N
13th November 2009, 10:18 AM
As for the Sky box transmitting, don't they communicate back to Sky via the telephone line?

yeh pretty sure that's right del

The Dogfather
13th November 2009, 10:23 AM
The new boxes also transmit a signal into your brain to vote conservative, or so I read in the Mail this morning ;)

<ps. I don't actually read the mail>

AndyP & Lenore
13th November 2009, 06:43 PM
Sounds like you got a dodgy installer for sure :frown:. I upgraded to Sky+HD in February this year and was lucky enough to get a very good installer - he knew what was he was doing and was very helpful in moving my existing Sky+ box into another room to replace the old Sky box that was there already.

If it's plugged into the phone line.:Whistle:

A.

MrMischief
13th November 2009, 07:20 PM
Think it's pot luck whether you get a 'proper' Sky man & van, or a subcontractor. Our first house was great, he turned up bang on time & matched the white exterior walls with a white cable and ran it into the eaves and through the loft so there was hardly any cable exposed. The guy couldn't have been more helpful & knowledgeable.

I left the wife in charge for the installation on our last house (I was playing at Crail). Unfortunately, we got a dodgy bar steward of a subcontractor through from Glasgow. He arrived at 17.00, it was quite dark (late October) so he tried to use his van lights to illuminate the eaves on our house :confused: Claire seemed to think he was quite quick putting it up, although he said he couldn't bring the cable into the room where we'd wanted it...and it was a black cable running down a white wall, 'as that's what he had in the van'.:ragin: When I got back Claire was a bit shocked to have had to fork out an additional £80 cash for the wall bracket. He had said he'd had to install a chimney bracket (which it wasn't) due to the location. I phoned Sky to complain about this & they said we shouldn't have had to pay & if we had a receipt they'd refund it - no receipt :argh: If he'd listened to the wife, she'd asked him to install the dish on the opposite side of the house, where he could have used a standard mount :frown: Also, the bracket he'd used looked second hand, paint peeling off with rust appearing. Not a good look on a brand new house.

Sky were no use when we complained and were fully intending to charge us to re-install it properly....so we eventually cancelled the contract when we moved house.

TBH, freeview's not too bad for the lack of money & HD Freeview's on its' way too :lol: