PDA

View Full Version : Checkmate..what do you all think??

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 11:25 AM
I'm goin to view and possibly buy a checkmate tommorrow from arnold clark in Perth..here is a link..

http://www.arnoldclark.com/used-cars/mini/cooper/s-checkmate/2005-(05-55)/ref/4301-607502/

It's costing just over £240 a month with a £300 deposit over 5 years with 2 years sevicing and warranty!..also got £300 off with the Arnold Clark voucher offer they are doing

whats your opinions guys??

thanks

Martin:D

Gismo
10th November 2009, 11:37 AM
whats your opinions guys??

thanks

Martin:DI reckon you could get a newer car for less money.
£240 x 60 = £14,400.
Car shown by you, 05 plate? appears to be sold anyway.

I'd pop along to JC's in Dundee, i'm sure Ryan would sort you a better finance deal than Arnold Clark, especially over 5 years :eek: ;)

AndyP & Lenore
10th November 2009, 11:47 AM
That finance sounds very expensive to me.

Car started at £10,950 or something and as Gismo says your finance total is £14,400. Even in the current climate, I reckon thats a bit steep.

If you like the car why not speak to Mark Dryden (Site sponsor Saltire Vehicles on 07976 824715) and I'm sure he can find a better finance package than that. You'd still be able to buy the same car.

A.:thumbs up:

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 11:52 AM
I reckon you could get a newer car for less money.
£240 x 60 = £14,400.
Car shown by you, 05 plate? appears to be sold anyway.

I'd pop along to JC's in Dundee, i'm sure Ryan would sort you a better finance deal than Arnold Clark, especially over 5 years :eek: ;)

yeah the sold is by me lol..just put down £100 deposit but if I don't want it its refundable!!

I'll give them a phone

thanks

Martin

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 11:58 AM
That finance sounds very expensive to me.

Car started at £10,950 or something and as Gismo says your finance total is £14,400. Even in the current climate, I reckon thats a bit steep.

If you like the car why not speak to Mark Dryden (Site sponsor Saltire Vehicles on 07976 824715) and I'm sure he can find a better finance package than that. You'd still be able to buy the same car.

A.:thumbs up:

hmmmmm..i see gonna phone him just now..i'll let you know how i get on thanks

AndyP & Lenore
10th November 2009, 12:06 PM
hmmmmm..i see gonna phone him just now..i'll let you know how i get on thanks

Cool.:thumbs up:

A.

GCA3N
10th November 2009, 01:09 PM
What apr were they offering you. Also and i know it's down to personal finances but I wouldn't buy a 4 year old car on a 5 year finance plan if I could help it.

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 02:38 PM
found this on autotrader, what yous guys think?..seems a pretty good deal!..gonna phone the guy and ask him if hes still got the original wheels too

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/200945345323586/sort/priceasc/usedcars/make/mini/model/cooper_s/maximum-age/up_to_5_years_old/price-to/11000/body-type/hatchback/keywords/checkmate/postcode/g227ed/page/1?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2Fusedcars%2Fpostco de%2Fg227ed%2Fmake%2Fmini%2Fmodel%2Fcooper_s%2Fkey words%2Fcheckmate%2Fmaximum-age%2Fup_to_5_years_old%2Fprice-to%2F11000%2Fbody-type%2Fhatchback%2Fsort%2Fpriceasc%2Fpage%2F1&anchor=advert200945345323586&logcode=p

sorry to be a pain guys, but yous seem to know wayyy much more than me when it comes to this sorta stuff!:p

thanks guys

martin

Colin
10th November 2009, 02:47 PM
found this on autotrader, what yous guys think?..seems a pretty good deal!..gonna phone the guy and ask him if hes still got the original wheels too

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/200945345323586/sort/priceasc/usedcars/make/mini/model/cooper_s/maximum-age/up_to_5_years_old/price-to/11000/body-type/hatchback/keywords/checkmate/postcode/g227ed/page/1?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2Fusedcars%2Fpostco de%2Fg227ed%2Fmake%2Fmini%2Fmodel%2Fcooper_s%2Fkey words%2Fcheckmate%2Fmaximum-age%2Fup_to_5_years_old%2Fprice-to%2F11000%2Fbody-type%2Fhatchback%2Fsort%2Fpriceasc%2Fpage%2F1&anchor=advert200945345323586&logcode=p

sorry to be a pain guys, but yous seem to know wayyy much more than me when it comes to this sorta stuff!:p

thanks guys

martin

Hmmm, was just looking at the pics. Why does it have a pre face-lift front bumper on it :confused: Checkmates didn't start to be made until 2005. Must have changed the bumper for some reason.

ianking
10th November 2009, 03:01 PM
the arnold clark deal doesnt sound very good to me. The APR must be huge.
I personally wouldnt buy anything from sir arnold. Just heard too many horror stories. Look at the pics of the arnold clark one and the radio is just sitting loose in the dash and there are no carpet mats, checkmate should come with them so I would want both those things sorted out.

the private sale one seems to have had too many things poked about with.

Like others have said I would try Mark Dryden at Saltire. He will do you a much better deal and wont sell you a duff mini.

GCA3N
10th November 2009, 05:31 PM
Like others have said think you can get better than this too. The only negative about a special edition is IMO you should'nt mess with them. If you want a mini to mod then i would stay away from the Checkmate, besides its such a good looking car standard why would you want to. And that aside I think can seriously effect residual values on cars like these.

For what it's worth what ever your getting ensure you get a warranty.

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 06:16 PM
Hmmm, was just looking at the pics. Why does it have a pre face-lift front bumper on it :confused: Checkmates didn't start to be made until 2005. Must have changed the bumper for some reason.

so it has just noticed that there..I would rather the original tbh so i'm going to ask him if he still has that too!!..cheers for pointing that out!;)

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 06:20 PM
Like others have said think you can get better than this too. The only negative about a special edition is IMO you should'nt mess with them. If you want a mini to mod then i would stay away from the Checkmate, besides its such a good looking car standard why would you want to. And that aside I think can seriously effect residual values on cars like these.

For what it's worth what ever your getting ensure you get a warranty.

yeah i would rather just keep it the way it is tbh, the more i see it checkmate standard the more i like it!:D, I dont even like the aero kit on it and i love aero kits!!:eek:

thanks

martin

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 07:04 PM
Phoned the guy for the one on auto trader..seems a pretty decent guy..was honest enough to say there was a small dent on front under headlight on drivers side, also the wheels and the grill was bought like that, how much would i be looking at to replace the wheels and the original grill??and also what kinda of offer do yous think would be reasonable to make?

thanks

Martin

joec73
10th November 2009, 07:16 PM
the arnold clark one looks to have a works badge on the back.
is it or just a fake?

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 07:36 PM
the arnold clark one looks to have a works badge on the back.
is it or just a fake?

I'm glad you pointed that out to me..because I phoned them and asked them to send me more picture and the pictures they sent doesn't have the works badge on!!:confused::confused:...gonna phone them just now about that!!;)

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 07:53 PM
the arnold clark deal doesnt sound very good to me. The APR must be huge.
I personally wouldnt buy anything from sir arnold. Just heard too many horror stories. Look at the pics of the arnold clark one and the radio is just sitting loose in the dash and there are no carpet mats, checkmate should come with them so I would want both those things sorted out.

the private sale one seems to have had too many things poked about with.

Like others have said I would try Mark Dryden at Saltire. He will do you a much better deal and wont sell you a duff mini.

oh no like what??..be honest! lol..to be honest i'm abit aprehensive buying from arnold clark because its a pretty rare mini..and tbh they're gonna know Hee Haw about it apart from whats in the manual..this is the closest one to me and have been told its in really good nick!

The private sale car in want because its a high spec and has the sunroof also which is a pretty rare option on this car!

I reaaaaally dont know what to do!! lol

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh:argh:lol

ianking
10th November 2009, 08:00 PM
Just read lots of things on detailing world where folk have bought used cars from there and things have not been right. As soon as the customer drives away they are not interested. Also my mum has had 2 brand new cars from different arnold clarks in the past and both times the dealer has really mucked things up. Family will never go back there.

ianking
10th November 2009, 08:03 PM
just looked at the arnold pics again. Im pretty sure that the exhaust isnt a standard R53 one. Is it a JCW one, looks to have bigger finishers. It could have just had finishers put on though but if you get a pic of the engine bay then you will know if its got a JCW conversion.

What is the actual cash price from arnolds?

GCA3N
10th November 2009, 08:19 PM
If it was me I would use one of the mini dealerships. They know more, you'll get a warranty, a garage that is always dealing in mini's the list goes on. I think most of us would agree that we all love mini's (hence we would not own one) they are fab cars but they break down and sadly more than they should considering how much they cost. For my 2p worth use a dealer and buy knowing that if things go wrong your sorted. Oh and take a wide berth on arnold Clark. Hope all this helps.

One other thing there is always someone on here selling might be worth asking about.

Craig
10th November 2009, 08:25 PM
the arnold shark one is a JCW. your right Ian the pipes are a JCW exhaust. I can't see someone getting the badge and exhaust. If you get the reg number then david at JC's can check the spec.. ;)

john
10th November 2009, 08:30 PM
That car was for sale at Arnold Clark Fiat in Aberdeen, it's NOT a JCW and has standard exhaust with different tailpipes, the stereo was hanging out of the dash when it was in Aberdeen too.;)

AndyP & Lenore
10th November 2009, 08:39 PM
That car was for sale at Arnold Clark Fiat in Aberdeen, it's NOT a JCW and has standard exhaust with different tailpipes, the stereo was hanging out of the dash when it was in Aberdeen too.;)

Martin, taking into account John's post I can't help but think... WALK AWAY!

A.

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 08:39 PM
the registration is YP55 OAZ

butttttt..guys..i think i have found theeeeeee one!!..well i know i've found it...but i just went to find it there and its off the website now!!!!!!!!:argh::argh::argh:..I've already phoned mark at saltire to get a finance quote and he gave me 249 a month..the car is £11990.. and has pretty much the full works..sun roof, front spots, harmon kardon..the lot!!

I reallllly hope its not ust been taken off, as i only found it like 20 mins ago!:confused:...strike that..searched again and found it so here it is guys!..my new baby(hopefully..fingers crossed!!):D

http://www.minicherished.co.uk/miniuk/minicherished/results/0,,___,00.html?refinedSearch=true&doNewSearch=true&order=7_0

opinions greatly appreciated!!;)

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 08:52 PM
Martin, taking into account John's post I can't help but think... WALK AWAY!

A.

I know..i'm going to..especially now i've found the perfect one in stephen james enfield mini...its got everything i was asking for!!!

:D..i maybe at least go and test drive it!:p

GCA3N
10th November 2009, 08:54 PM
Why did you show me this page. I now have itchy feet car wise. The pepper white cubby jcw, the black s and the chilli red s... Mmmm nice.

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 09:05 PM
Why did you show me this page. I now have itchy feet car wise. The pepper white cubby jcw, the black s and the chilli red s... Mmmm nice.

ha ha lol:lol:sorryyyy!!:p...I know it always get you think..i hate the actual searching and buying process..love pick up day thoght..thats ALWAYS the best!!:D

your cars Mega hot tho!!:D

ianking
10th November 2009, 09:06 PM
just looked on the stephen james enfield mini under minis coming soon and that looks like the car for you. Plenty extras and nice low mileage.

Call arnold and get your £100 back. Put it down on the one at Stephen James.
Mark Dryden could still sort your finance though.

GCA3N
10th November 2009, 09:13 PM
your cars Mega hot tho!!:D

Thankyou for that. I just got it in April so was intending keeping it atleast another 18 months..... However really want a jcw clubby or the new convertable jcw, it's all money though.

Colin
10th November 2009, 09:22 PM
just looked on the stephen james enfield mini under minis coming soon and that looks like the car for you. Plenty extras and nice low mileage.

I agree with Ian, the car looks fully loaded, someone went to town on the options list. :thumbs up:

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 09:30 PM
Thankyou for that. I just got it in April so was intending keeping it atleast another 18 months..... However really want a jcw clubby or the new convertable jcw, it's all money though.

Aw god i know..I'm the exact same, would also love a cheeky JCW but thats in the future again..one step at a time!:p

I love Clubmans with the full aero kit etc..its a weeeee bit on the amazin side!!..but i would go for the convertible!;)

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 09:34 PM

I know..I'm over the moon!..gonna be up at the crack of dawn call them and then straight on the phone Stephen James

Just want to thank everyone for shouting at me NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:lol:..just think, if i hadn't asked for your opinions then I would have been away upto perth none the wiser and Big Arnold will be sittin rubbin his hands at another eejit getting done!!:p

:D

GCA3N
10th November 2009, 09:40 PM
Hope all works out well for you. If you go and look at it get some piccies.

Fartin Martin
10th November 2009, 10:04 PM
Hope all works out well for you. If you go and look at it get some piccies.

Thanks mate..don't worry al be gettig pics up asap, just to annoy ye!!:p lol..ko bud!;)

:D

Fartin Martin
11th November 2009, 10:42 AM
anyone used the BMW select payment scheme i think its called, that has the balloon payment at the end??

phoned to enquire about that and the guy is going to give me figures for that aswell
thanks

Martin

Gismo
11th November 2009, 10:50 AM
anyone used the BMW select payment scheme i think its called, that has the balloon payment at the end??

phoned to enquire about that and the guy is going to give me figures for that aswell
thanks

MartinYup, that's what my current MINI is on :thumbs up:

Fartin Martin
11th November 2009, 11:11 AM
Yup, that's what my current MINI is on :thumbs up:

so you would recommend it then yeah??:D

ianking
11th November 2009, 11:39 AM
I have my mini on that but not sure if you will be able to buy a 2005 mini that way. I thought it was only for new and up to a year old at time of purchase.

Craig
11th November 2009, 11:45 AM
I have my mini on that but not sure if you will be able to buy a 2005 mini that way. I thought it was only for new and up to a year old at time of purchase.

it's not a problem, they will do it. They were going to do it for my 06 plate car, but I just went straight finance. :thumbs up:

Fartin Martin
11th November 2009, 11:54 AM

yeah he mentioned something like that but as it's only done 13k, then it's ok..dunno really but he's given me a few different quotes, one being £280 over the 3 years wit the balloon payment at the end another is 4 years and thats £240

RyanK
11th November 2009, 12:13 PM
Select Finance only worth it if your buying a new car imo

Select is good though, I got offered a brand new R56 S for £250 /month over 4 years. Could never see myself keeping a car that long though so went with my R53

Fartin Martin
11th November 2009, 12:34 PM
Select Finance only worth it if your buying a new car imo

Select is good though, I got offered a brand new R56 S for £250 /month over 4 years. Could never see myself keeping a car that long though so went with my R53

Hmmm..I see..I thought it was a good way to go as I'm likel to change in about 2 years or so!

My uncle knows alll about this kinda stuff so gonna get him to look over all the quotes etc and see whats best:)

ianking
11th November 2009, 12:35 PM
I wouldnt take select on a car that age but each to their own.
I would still call Mark Dryden as he is the finance expert. He will tell you the best route and also most likely undercut the mini garage. You can still buy that car though just that Mark deals with the monies.

Gismo
11th November 2009, 12:39 PM
I wouldnt take select on a car that ageAgreed, new only