PDA

View Full Version : Avatar

AndyP & Lenore
3rd November 2009, 07:50 PM
What's everyone's take on the new James Cameron film then? Not interested / mildly interested / excited / can't wait to see it?

IMDB Page here (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/)

Trailer here (http://uk.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi246154521/)

On the first trailer I was pretty underwhelmed, then when the second trailer came out (linked to above) my interest changed somewhat - looks amazing. And, you HAVE to see it in 3D. We're running that trailer in 3D and it looks simply stunning.:yes nod:

A.:D

Ferengo
4th November 2009, 11:46 AM
Nice one Andy. I was totally gonna dismiss this from what I'd heard but after seeing that trailer I really wanna see it, but I'll need to find time :frown: lol. Looks awesome and Cameron is a great Director. He doesn't just do movie after movie, he seems to wait until there is something worth while and this looks like no exception.

The Bull
4th November 2009, 01:52 PM
Yep, definitely going to see it in 3D. When is it on general release?

zimbo
4th November 2009, 04:05 PM
Mmmm I dont know.... :frown:

AndyP & Lenore
4th November 2009, 07:26 PM
Yep, definitely going to see it in 3D. When is it on general release?

17th December.:thumbs up:

Sheilz
4th November 2009, 07:44 PM
Who's James Cameron? Never heard of him. Think am at opposite end of filmbuff scale from yourselves. :blush:

Bumble
4th November 2009, 08:10 PM
wooo ... looks good :)

AndyP & Lenore
4th November 2009, 08:19 PM
Who's James Cameron? Never heard of him. Think am at opposite end of filmbuff scale from yourselves. :blush:

Directed this Shielz...

http://www.fotos.org/galeria/data/576/Movie-Poster-Titanic.jpg

Ferengo
4th November 2009, 11:40 PM
Directed this Shielz...

http://www.fotos.org/galeria/data/576/Movie-Poster-Titanic.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

You had the pick of Terminator 1 & 2, Aliens, Trues Lies & The Abyss and you chose Titanic! Shame on you :hand::p

Sheilz
5th November 2009, 12:16 AM
Now even I have heard of that film though I didn't go and see it. Dear dear had been wracking my brain trying to identify an actor.

AndyP & Lenore
5th November 2009, 07:50 PM
Now even I have heard of that film though I didn't go and see it. Dear dear had been wracking my brain trying to identify an actor.

Don't really want to spoil it for but... erm... the boat sinks in the end.

A. :D

AndyP & Lenore
5th November 2009, 07:53 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

You had the pick of Terminator 1 & 2, Aliens, Trues Lies & The Abyss and you chose Titanic! Shame on you :hand::p

Pmsl:laugh:

sorry mate. Was trying to think of the most identifiable film for Shielz. Gotta remember she's just a girl. Lol

<<<Runs and hides

Sheilz
5th November 2009, 08:15 PM

Shielz. Gotta remember she's just a girl. Lol

<<<Runs and hides

A know! can't wait till I'm old enough to get into see 15s :rolleyes::laugh:

Sheilz
5th November 2009, 08:16 PM
Don't really want to spoil it for but... erm... the boat sinks in the end.

You spoiled it :ragin::ragin::ragin::moonie:

Ally S
5th November 2009, 10:44 PM
Will definately be going to see this.

Ferengo
5th November 2009, 11:13 PM

sorry mate. Was trying to think of the most identifiable film for Shielz. Gotta remember she's just a girl. Lol

<<<Runs and hides

lol :laugh:. Manhood restored forth with :p.

AndyP & Lenore
15th December 2009, 01:10 AM
Reviews are in...

Empire Review (http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/review.asp?FID=133552) *****

Total Film review (http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/avatar)*****

Channel 4 Review (http://www.channel4.com/film/reviews/film.jsp?id=176061&section=review)****

The reviews seem to be fairly consistent - AVATAR seems to blowing everyone's socks off.:thumbs up:

So, can anyone explain why every cinema in the country is having difficulty selling tickets to it.:confused:

A.:argh:

Craig
15th December 2009, 09:20 AM
Reviews are in...

Empire Review (http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/review.asp?FID=133552) *****

Total Film review (http://www.totalfilm.com/reviews/cinema/avatar)*****

Channel 4 Review (http://www.channel4.com/film/reviews/film.jsp?id=176061&section=review)****

The reviews seem to be fairly consistent - AVATAR seems to blowing everyone's socks off.:thumbs up:

So, can anyone explain why every cinema in the country is having difficulty selling tickets to it.:confused:

for me it's just a weird film with a weird look... :rolleyes: Mind you, I am not a film critic... :Whistle:

Delboy
15th December 2009, 09:27 AM

Because it's not a Harry Potter or Twilight Saga movie.......? :rolleyes:

Mini Ecosse
15th December 2009, 09:52 AM

We are waiting for two for one offers :bigwave:

AndyP & Lenore
15th December 2009, 11:13 AM
We are waiting for two for one offers :bigwave:

Every Wednesday with an Orange phone.:thumbs up:

A.

AndyP & Lenore
15th December 2009, 11:14 AM
for me it's just a weird film with a weird look... :rolleyes: Mind you, I am not a film critic... :Whistle:

That's kinda my worry.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
15th December 2009, 11:17 AM
Because it's not a Harry Potter or Twilight Saga movie.......? :rolleyes:

Del, granted it doesn't have an established story and fan base to draw from, but it's Cameron! As Ferengo said in an earlier post: True Lies, Aliens, Terminator 1 & 2 etc., etc. And of course the highest grossing film of all time - Titanic!

Despite this portfolio, ticket sales are much slower than expected. Weird.:confused:

A.

zimbo
15th December 2009, 12:37 PM
Dont think I'll be going to see this, I am a huge movies buff/fan but this film just looks weird or strange...

Besides I went to the cinema on friday to see Law Abiding Citizen (which is a great film by the way!!) and its the first time in ages that i have been to the cinema and it cost me £7 :eek: I nearly had a heart attack!! So I think my days of going to the cinema are finished, I'm not paying that for going to see any film... I'd rather wait and get it on DVD or Blu-Ray for a couple quid more a couple months down the road.

Just my 1 pence worth :D

Ferengo
15th December 2009, 04:32 PM
Del, granted it doesn't have an established story and fan base to draw from, but it's Cameron! As Ferengo said in an earlier post: True Lies, Aliens, Terminator 1 & 2 etc., etc. And of course the highest grossing film of all time - Titanic!

Despite this portfolio, ticket sales are much slower than expected. Weird.:confused:

A.

Could it be a lot of cinemas are showing it in 3D, the cost of one of those tickets in Dundee is £2-£4 more expensive than regular tickets. Plus the time of year people are spending money on other things like christmas and with the recession people are tightening on going out, although DVD rentals have gone up recently.

Either way I'm booking tickets to go see it in 3D. Never seen a film in 3D yet and really looking forward to the film and the 3D element. Sarah hates the look of Avatar, I ain't told her how long the film is yet...:p

euan
15th December 2009, 05:17 PM
Honestly, it looks weird. I saw some stuff on it at the weekend and it kind of intrigued me, but didn't grab me in the "I must see that".

Not that I get to the cinema anymore since the wee one came along, but if I did I'm not sure I'd pay the money to see this.

AndyP & Lenore
16th December 2009, 12:39 AM
Could it be a lot of cinemas are showing it in 3D, the cost of one of those tickets in Dundee is £2-£4 more expensive than regular tickets. Plus the time of year people are spending money on other things like christmas and with the recession people are tightening on going out, although DVD rentals have gone up recently.

Either way I'm booking tickets to go see it in 3D. Never seen a film in 3D yet and really looking forward to the film and the 3D element. Sarah hates the look of Avatar, I ain't told her how long the film is yet...:p

There has been a rush of cinema's installing 3D in time for this film, so there will be lots of cinema's showing it in 3D. However, 2D will still outnumber the 3D screens on this film.

Grant, normal uplift on 3D is about £2. Never heard of a £4 uplift. That seems very excessive. Was it a premier seat or something. Not that that should make a difference.

No doubt though... Since Harry Potter in the summer, we've been pretty quiet. I suspect folks are tightening their belts. And who can blame them.:sad:

A.

AndyP & Lenore
16th December 2009, 12:41 AM
Honestly, it looks weird. I saw some stuff on it at the weekend and it kind of intrigued me, but didn't grab me in the "I must see that".

Not that I get to the cinema anymore since the wee one came along, but if I did I'm not sure I'd pay the money to see this.

Weird, yes. But have you seen the full trailer?:popcorn:

I can understand the ties with having Jnr though.

AndyP & Lenore
16th December 2009, 12:45 AM
Dont think I'll be going to see this, I am a huge movies buff/fan but this film just looks weird or strange...

Besides I went to the cinema on friday to see Law Abiding Citizen (which is a great film by the way!!) and its the first time in ages that i have been to the cinema and it cost me £7 :eek: I nearly had a heart attack!! So I think my days of going to the cinema are finished, I'm not paying that for going to see any film... I'd rather wait and get it on DVD or Blu-Ray for a couple quid more a couple months down the road.

Just my 1 pence worth :D

Can understand what your saying Ali, especially as you're still currently seeking employment and that can't be easy.:sad:

It's much easier to look on the £7 as well spent entertainment money when you don't have to worry about where the next £7 is coming from.:sad:

A.

euan
16th December 2009, 10:12 AM
Weird, yes. But have you seen the full trailer?:popcorn:

I can understand the ties with having Jnr though.

I dug out the trailer (that site you linked to has taken it down). The full trailer makes much more sense, and I'd quite like to see it, but the marketing for it is where they've lost it - if they've not been able to get the message across (which, by what folks on here have said seems to be true, myself included) then nobody will want to go to see it.

It does look mighty impressive though.

Stewart
16th December 2009, 11:57 AM
Hope it has a decent storyline, granted I’ve been catching up on films on DVD but the last decent film I seen was “I Am Legend” one of the worst was that Star Trek that could have been written better and I actually found boring.

This is probably one you really need to see in the Cinema. I have to say to this day Saving Private Ryan – The D-Day landings on the big screen with the right Sound system was fantastic.

Ferengo
16th December 2009, 12:42 PM
There has been a rush of cinema's installing 3D in time for this film, so there will be lots of cinema's showing it in 3D. However, 2D will still outnumber the 3D screens on this film.

Grant, normal uplift on 3D is about £2. Never heard of a £4 uplift. That seems very excessive. Was it a premier seat or something. Not that that should make a difference.

No doubt though... Since Harry Potter in the summer, we've been pretty quiet. I suspect folks are tightening their belts. And who can blame them.:sad:

A.

£7 for the Odeon regular screen £10.95 for 3D. Don't think Dundee Odeon has a premiere screen but they do have deluxe seats.

I booked at cineworld last night, got my ultra cool glasses at the same time. Cheers for the info yesterday regarding it. I didn't have a clue about 3D films. :thumbs up: If we didn't have the wee man I'd have suggested to Sarah about making a day of it and coming to your cinema.

Ally S
16th December 2009, 02:32 PM
Hope it has a decent storyline, granted I’ve been catching up on films on DVD but the last decent film I seen was “I Am Legend” one of the worst was that Star Trek that could have been written better and I actually found boring.

This is probably one you really need to see in the Cinema. I have to say to this day Saving Private Ryan – The D-Day landings on the big screen with the right Sound system was fantastic.

Saving Private Ryan? you've got quite a bit of catching up :p

The new Star Trek was great, or did you mean Insurrection? :thumbs up:

Stewart
16th December 2009, 02:56 PM
Last film in the Cinema was LOTR “Return of the King”. The new Star Trek looked great but some of the story line was too far a leap of faith.

Think the story line went

Young Kirk Rebel
Young Kirk meets Bones and rest of the crew of old.
Young Kirk fights the Baddies
Bring in spock (Nimoy) adds to the authenticity…..
Good guys win.

:yawn:

Must bet getting old;), I like a tale that makes sense and adds up. In saying that I found the Terminator Film Salvation a bit disappointing, it was not a war of the future more a local brawl. In the original with Big Arne it looked like a fight for survival on a huge scale. :D

ace_dude
16th December 2009, 10:19 PM
I guess I'm quite interested in going to see this, been quite a lot of hype about it. Might catch it at the imax during xmas hols. :cool:

illegalhunter
17th December 2009, 01:56 PM
Iam so looking forword to this

AndyP & Lenore
17th December 2009, 11:53 PM
Went to see it today! Went to the Vue Livingston. Good cinema - for a multiplex. Did the whole; two 3D admits, toffee sweets, hot dog, two drinks and ice cream milk shake thing... £30.:eek: And that was using special offer vouchers we got at our last visit a week or so ago.:eek::eek: I'm very glad we DON'T charge those prices.

Anyway, the film. Excellent!:thumbs up: Terrific story. The creation of Pandora is stunning, waaaay better than anything Disney have come up with on any of their fantasy films. The action did seem a bit slow in coming but when it did it was quite stunning. 3D effects were perhaps a little understated considering we (cinema owners) were all told 18months ago 3D is a must for this film because "we're pushing the boundaries". However, if I'm honest, G-Force (a rubbish wee kids film we ran in July) had much deeper 3D effects. That said, the 3D does give a terrific feel to the film and I would still recommend anyone going to see Avatar see it in 3D.

Overall, we didn't notice the 2hrs 45mins pass. And we were solidly entertained for that whole time, if not enthralled.

Rumour of 2 sequels. Hmmmmm. We'll see.

A.;)

euan
18th December 2009, 08:05 AM
You own a cinema and you went to a multiplex????

AndyP & Lenore
18th December 2009, 09:16 AM
You own a cinema and you went to a multiplex????

Yes. Sort of a mixture of peace and quiet, ability to watch a film without worrying about the audience idiots disturbing the film for everyone else, and industrial espionage at it's very basic level.:thumbs up:

Delboy
18th December 2009, 10:24 AM
Yes. Sort of a mixture of peace and quiet, ability to watch a film without worrying about the audience idiots disturbing the film for everyone else, and industrial espionage at it's very basic level.:thumbs up:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Did you drop your rubbish on the floor? :Whistle: Just a thought.........:D

Burple
18th December 2009, 10:52 AM
Went to see it today! Went to the Vue Livingston. Good cinema - for a multiplex. Did the whole; two 3D admits, toffee sweets, hot dog, two drinks and ice cream milk shake thing... £30.:eek: And that was using special offer vouchers we got at our last visit a week or so ago.:eek::eek: I'm very glad we DON'T charge those prices.

We went to the Grosvenor Cinema (http://www.socialanimal.co.uk/GlasgowWestEnd/Grosvenor_Cinema/) off Byres Road in Glasgow last week and got a 2 course meal for 2, bottle of wine, 2 cinema tickets and a large popcorn for £45.. and the seating was a big sofa..
Not that the film was a good one to curl up to.. It was Harry Brown! :laugh:

Compare that to £25 for 2 tickets, a drink and a half filled packet of Minstrels the week before at the Dundee Odeon..

I'm not starting this discussion up again, but it really isn't any wonder that people download pirate copies of films!

Anyway.. back on topic... looking forward to seeing Avatar too!
2012 was good for entertainment and CGI stuff too :thumbs up:

illegalhunter
19th December 2009, 09:03 PM
I saw this film today in 3D , it was awesome

baptie
19th December 2009, 10:39 PM
I don't fancy it, although I heard that alot of people have been clapping at the end of the film.

Has this happened to anyone yet?

The Byres Road one sounds well comfy.

Anyways, waiting for Sherlock on Boxing day

AndyP & Lenore
19th December 2009, 11:14 PM
Nobody been clapping in oor cinema - yet. But, it has been very well received by the audience, with almost everyone coming out at the end with a mixture of: "stunning, amazing, best film ever, etc., etc."

Ferengo
21st December 2009, 11:01 AM
Well I went to see it yesterday and.... Really good. I expected to be let down by the hype and trailers being so good but it was stunning. It's a must see in 3D to.

Sarah didn't want to go. She hated the look of it and she really doesn't like Sci-Fi. We got out and she said "I have to swallow my pride. I really enjoyed that".

The graphics are awesome and the story is there which lacks with a lot of CGI movies. It's definitely the best film I've seen this year. :thumbs up:

Ally S
21st December 2009, 02:39 PM
Went to see it in 3d - amazing!

illegalhunter
23rd December 2009, 10:47 AM
Nobody clapped when i was there, but iam going back to see it tonite again with my g/f

Ally S
23rd December 2009, 02:07 PM
I'm really tempted to go back and see this again too.

Delboy
30th December 2009, 11:43 PM
Saw Avatar in 3D today at the Braehead Odeon - absolutely brilliant! I couldn't believe how good the 3D effect was and my stomach was doing somersaults at some of the "up high" scenes!

It's a must-see at the cinema and in 3D :yes nod: :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
31st December 2009, 12:38 AM
Saw Avatar in 3D today at the Braehead Odeon - absolutely brilliant! I couldn't believe how good the 3D effect was and my stomach was doing somersaults at some of the "up high" scenes!

It's a must-see at the cinema and in 3D :yes nod: :thumbs up:

Glad you enjoyed Del. And I have to say, despite what Mr Cameron would have us believe, the 3D effects in this are NOT as "in yer face" as other 3D films I've seen. G-Force and The Final Destination had much deeper use of 3D, even if the films were a bit pants in the first place.

Learned a bit over the past few weeks about the two different ways to shoot a film in 3D, but I won't bore you all with it.

A.

C.Noble
4th January 2010, 07:40 PM
I went to see this last night...

Wow!

Anyone who says they will wait till it comes out on DVD will miss out on a truly amazing 3D experience.

I literally spent the first hour of the film stunned, although I had never seen a 3D film before.

The lighting in the forest at night is just completely amazing and the scale of the CGI is quite literally out of this world!

James Cameron hasnt so much raised the bar with this one... as much as pi$$ed off home with it!

What really took my breath away was the truly staggering amount of people involved in making this film, I wasnt sure what came up at the end was the end credits, or the New York City electoral roll!

Amazing film, the only film I have ever seen that I would happily go and see again... and I am, later this week!

AndyP & Lenore
4th January 2010, 07:50 PM
And all the hard work and $ cost has paid off... BBC News Clicky Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8438824.stm)

Edit: Although it's fair to say it's nothing like as busy as the headlines would have you think in our own cinema. Busy, yes, but not record breaking in any shape or form. In actual fact, Alvin & The Chipmonks - The Squeakquel has had more admissions.:Whistle::thud:

Knox18
4th January 2010, 08:49 PM
going to see it at the IMAX tommorow! should be good :)

GCA3N
6th January 2010, 06:39 PM
I seen this too and loved it, defo a Cinema film though, same as 2012 has to be watched in the cinema. Defo be a blueray purchase for me.

Knox18
6th January 2010, 06:52 PM
I seen this too and loved it, defo a Cinema film though, same as 2012 has to be watched in the cinema. Defo be a blueray purchase for me.

you enjoyed 2012? :O

GCA3N
6th January 2010, 06:54 PM

Good point enjoyed special effects, story was pants, but then again these things are always the same, wasn't expecting anything more.

Big Gordy
7th January 2010, 10:47 AM
Going to see this tonight at the IMAX in Glasgow:thumbs up:
Kirsten works there and she's seen in 7 times now and the novelty still hasn't worn off for her yet......no doupt it will eventually:rolleyes:

Gismo
7th January 2010, 11:44 AM
I'm hoping to watch this in the USA :thumbs up:

Ally S
7th January 2010, 08:15 PM
And all the hard work and $ cost has paid off... BBC News Clicky Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8438824.stm)

Edit: Although it's fair to say it's nothing like as busy as the headlines would have you think in our own cinema. Busy, yes, but not record breaking in any shape or form. In actual fact, Alvin & The Chipmonks - The Squeakquel has had more admissions.:Whistle::thud:

Yeah, its inflated in a way due to the fact the tickets are more expensive for the 3D version

Ally S
7th January 2010, 08:17 PM

definitely not a great film but its watchable - same as Day After Tomorrow, Independance day etc..

GCA3N
8th January 2010, 06:47 AM
definitely not a great film but its watchable - same as Day After Tomorrow, Independance day etc..

Gona give you day after tomorrow, but not independance day, that film rocks. Seriously though I know it's cheesy but will smith and jeff goldblum are superb and is not in the same league as the aforementioned two.

Big Gordy
8th January 2010, 10:19 AM
Well went to see this last night:smilewinkgrin: The 3D is spectacular:thumbs up: Mr.Cameron has indeed removed the bar and taken it home with him:yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
18th January 2010, 03:41 PM
Since early December we've had a variety of incarnations of the word AVATAR from our customers when they call to ask about it.

AVIATOR
AVALAN
AMTRACK
AVALANATAR
AMTRAVAR
AMALANATAR

Where are folk getting all these extra consonants and vowels from?:confused:

AndyP & Lenore
20th February 2010, 10:24 PM
Mr Bean-ATAR anyone.....

http://www.avatarmovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/Mr.Been-Blue-Avatar.jpg