PDA

View Full Version : JCW Steering Wheel (R53)

lowercasemark
3rd November 2009, 12:08 PM
Hi Folks,

As an owner of an early R53 with a very worn and battered 2-spoke steering wheel, I finally had enough and purchased a 3-spoke JCW alcantara wheel and airbag on ebay. It looks great and I can't wait to get it on!

Can anyone advise if going from 2- to 3-spoke is an easy switch (i.e. could a beginner do this:confused:)? Alternatively, is there someone in the Edinbugh-Falkirk area that could do this for me at a reasonable price? If they ever returned my calls :ragin: i think eastern mini would probably be quite pricey!

One final query: I currently have multi-function / cruise control on the 2-spoke and don't think that I will bother with this on the JCW wheel (the carbon inserts look better!). As I don't use these much I dont think this will be a big loss for me. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice regarding this approach?

Many thanks guys!
lowercasemark

Craig
3rd November 2009, 12:26 PM
I believe the airbag module is different from 2 spoke and 3 spoke so you I think you have to re-use your old airbag. I also thought there was a wiring issue with going from 2 spoke to 3 spoke which was quite a bit of work? I may be wrong tho... :rolleyes:

best of luck getting it changed over. Its one of the things on my list.. ;)

ianking
3rd November 2009, 02:17 PM
the air bag is different from a 2 spoke to a 3 spoke though so you have to change the bag as well.

Big Gordy
3rd November 2009, 08:32 PM
He says he's got both the wheel and the airbag Ian:confused: I too Craig seem to remember there being an issue with the different airbag connectors:frown:

lowercasemark
3rd November 2009, 09:35 PM
Cheers for the feedback so far guys! As Gordy says, I have the wheel and airbag; just wondered how easy it will be to switch over. I don't want to fail drastically half way through and end up with an R53 in the front drive with no steering wheel :eek:

Would anyone be able to recommend a not too pricey mechanic/garage?

Forbes
3rd November 2009, 11:24 PM
If all fails I will buy it off you:rolleyes::p

Big Gordy
4th November 2009, 09:01 AM
Did Baz not change from a 2 to a 3 spoke wheel on his last mini:confused: Maybe he will know if its a big job or not:thumbs up: If you do go ahead and try and change it yourself one bit of advice.......disconnect the battery for at least 15mins before you attempt removal:yes nod:....you don't want the airbag to go off in your chops when you disconnect it do you:hand: You'll look like one of the guys in that bank commercial on the telly:laugh:

RyanK
4th November 2009, 09:18 AM
I changed from a 2 spoke to a 3 spoke and it was max 30 mins job mate. Wheel is held on by a 16mm bolt in which you will need a shifter to remove. Airbag is just 2 clips, you pop a philips screwdriver into 2 holes at the the top of the steering wheel in which will then release the clips and let the airbag fall out of place.

You will need a new airbag though, but keep a lookout on ebay and these will crop up quite often for circa £70.00

P.S Multi function buttons are expensive for the 3 spoke. As Gordy said Baz will point you in the right direction about the multi function

GCA3N
4th November 2009, 09:34 AM
You will need a new airbag though, but keep a lookout on ebay and these will crop up quite often for circa £70.00

P

I finally had enough and purchased a 3-spoke JCW alcantara wheel and airbag on ebay

Good info Ryan:thumbs up:, keep up though mate.;):lol:

RyanK
4th November 2009, 09:40 AM
Dohh! :D

Big Gordy
4th November 2009, 10:38 AM
P.S Multi function buttons are expensive for the 3 spoke

Think he's doing without the multi-function mode Ryan and going for carbon fibre inserts:thumbs up:

RyanK
4th November 2009, 12:43 PM
haha whoops i really should pay attention :D

lowercasemark
4th November 2009, 01:25 PM
Cheers gents, your feedback has been very helpful (well most of it ;))! I'll let you know how I get on, and if it all goes well I may even fire up a few photos :computer:

RyanK
4th November 2009, 02:12 PM
be sure to have an extension bar on your shifter or you'll chew the bolt head

Big Gordy
4th November 2009, 02:48 PM
That's right Ryan:eek: I forgot the two screws holding the airbag in are a bitch too:argh: