PDA

View Full Version : Should Marijuana Be Legalized?

P155 ON U
2nd November 2009, 02:00 PM
In light of the news about the chief drug advisor being sacked about his comments on marijuana and other drugs, do you think that marijuana should legalized?

Personally i don't use marijuana but I think that adults should be able to decide for themselves wether they want to use it or not. Afterall, alcohol and tobacco are more harmful and cause more crime than it.

So what do you think?

Gismo
2nd November 2009, 02:31 PM
am i not right in saying this is for general convo?!?!

and why would i get banned, this is a topic throughout the news. :argh:General topics are for anything related to the MINI, off topic where i have now moved this thread is for anything not to do with mini.
This topic is ok as it is in here

Craig
2nd November 2009, 03:58 PM
No it shouldn't. :thumbs up:

Smitty
2nd November 2009, 04:21 PM
No it shouldn't. :thumbs up:

Agree - it's a drug with proven long term effects. I don't disagree with people who take this, or any other drug - each to their own. As long as they don't force their ways upon me, and come crying when they get caught in possesion or worse, dealing.

If I had my way, ciggarettes would be banned too, but that'll never happen :thud:

doogz__
2nd November 2009, 04:26 PM
What about alcohol? Should that be banned?

And i'm not sure i agree about cigarettes. I hate them, the government makes a fortune off taxing them, but then also has to spend a fortune on the NHS as a direct result.

But Laura's Dad enjoys the odd cigar, after a long day at work, or when he's having a drink at the weekend.

And if you banned cigarettes, you'd have to ban cigars. And i'm not sure that's right.

stoney
2nd November 2009, 04:28 PM
Yes it should be legal as it's no worse than drink I M O !!!!

I know plenty of people that have a smoke and not one of them has gone nuts
as I know at least 2 alcoholics no what dose that say all the people I know that like a smoke hold down good jobs and have good lives but the alckys don't they live off tax payer money and get pissed all day

Smitty
2nd November 2009, 04:39 PM
What about alcohol? Should that be banned?

HELL NO! I'd never survive :Whistle: :eek: :beer:

I know that i've pretty much contradicted myself by saying alchohol is fine, when it clearly has long term side effects too.

I just don't agree with illegal drugs, or even smoking....I just don't understand it. I can't justify my decision, it's the just the way I was brought up and no body will be able to convince me otherwise :hand:

Just Jade
2nd November 2009, 04:57 PM
I've never tried any drugs and never will. Personal choice for me, everyone to there own though ;) So I can't really comment on whether it should be legalised or not.

On the other hand, I have seen how the effects of alcohol can compeletely change someone's personality in an instance :(

dellie
2nd November 2009, 05:10 PM
Whilst i was at college i had a part time job in a nursing home.

The unit i worked in had dementia patients, most of them were alcoholics before the dementia set in, we did have a couple of patients that had drug abuse from the likes of marijuana (as a senior carer i was informed of the patients history so i would be able to deal with any aggressiveness, etc) seeing how it affects your body in the future gave me a wake up call, i would quite easily drink a bottle of wine or two a night and as a student i was always out drinking. If you could see how it would affect your body and your mind in 20+ years i think it would make you look at life in a different way. We also had a patient in the unit where those that required assited living were that had smoked 20 a day all her life and was on oxygen because of the state of her lungs.

A lot of people don't really think about what will happen in the future, only the hangover/come down they will have as the toxins leave your body

Craig
2nd November 2009, 05:51 PM
Why?

Not that i disagree, i personally couldn't care either way.

But you can't answer a question like that, and not give your reason!

I think you'll find I can (and anybody can). You can have an opinion and not have to explain it to everyone... ;)

TheDoctor46
2nd November 2009, 06:25 PM
I say ban it:thumbs up:
Just like smoking/drinking........is there a point to it??????

GCA3N
2nd November 2009, 06:45 PM
Don't know where to even start in this thread. There seems to be alot of unecessary tension here. I could give loads of quotes here but i'll answer the origonal question.

I think Cannibis should be banned. IMO.

Reasons are many, mostly because both my brothers have used cannibis and both have been effected by it in a big way. Also I believe that cannibis abuse leads to other drugs (not always) but in my experience very few people only try cannibis.

Also please try and realise that this is a brilliant Mini forum, in time you will come to realise this, chill out a bit.:lol:

Scottie
2nd November 2009, 07:19 PM
I don't know anything about Marijuana I've never taken it and never kept company with anyone who has so I have no idea how it effects a persons personality.

I would imagine it can be the first step to taking more "bad" drugs like cocaine etc etc.

I do know that alcohol effects a persons personality and would welcome a ban on that

I do know that fags don't really change a persons personality but can lead to health problems and I would also welcome a ban on fags would help me in giving them up.

However I would say that if any banned substance can medically be used to help aid a patient then I am all for that to be allowed.

stoney
2nd November 2009, 08:03 PM
well look at amsterdam its not leagl but tolerated and im prety shure that the govement tax it so in turn people that want a smoke of weed go there and smoke it witch in turn brings in turisim and that bring money in

and why do the govement pay some one that is very clever to hold loads of tests on drugs and advise them on what should be done to then turn round a go you sacked because we dont agrre with what your scientific tests say to me thats just stupid !!!!!

sedgie
2nd November 2009, 08:34 PM
Ok i agree with stoney!...When you go to Amsterdam it's legal and do you see lots of neds fighting outside pubs!???. I have never seen that there and i have been there a few times.
Another thing yes it should be easier to get on "medical" terms, My Dad has parkinsons and he finds smoking it helps him!...he is 73 btw, But he cannot get it easily on the NHS!:confused:
So my little opinion is make cannibis legal and concentrate on the harder drugs!:moonie::D

C.Noble
2nd November 2009, 10:36 PM
There is a distinct difference between a regular user of a substance and an addict.

Saying that everyone who takes marajuana goes onto become a cocaine addict is as stupid as saying anyone who drinks an alcoholic drink is going to turn into an alcoholic!

Obviously you have to drink alcohol to eventually turn into an alcoholic, and 99.9% of drug addicts probably started their 'habit' by smoking a bit of 'weed', but I dont think that is any reason to ban everything! Being illegal wont stop people getting addicted, and I dont like this "nanny state" thing..

I have never smoked, and can def. say I will never take marajuana, I do like a drink or two, but personally dont see the problem with smoking now that I dont have to breathe everyone elses smoke when out, and dont think it is fair to suggest banning it, ok smoking is bad for your health, only an idiot would argue otherwise, but I am sure the duty on fags more than cover the cost of healthcare for the effects, the same goes for alcohol.

As for legalising marajuana, I think if I were a user, I would probably be wanting it kept illegal... because if were to be legalised, it should be taxed as heavily as alcohol and tabacco are.

only my opinion.

audrey
2nd November 2009, 11:30 PM
There is a distinct difference between a regular user of a substance, and an addict, and I dont like this "nanny state" thing..

Saying that everyone who takes marajuana goes onto become a cocaine addict is as stupid as saying anyone who drinks an alcoholic drink is going to turn into an alcoholic!

Obviously you have to drink alcohol to eventually turn into an alcoholic, and 99.9% of drug addicts probably started their 'habit' by smoking a bit of 'weed', but I dont think that is any reason to ban everything! Being illegal wont stop people getting addicted.

I have never smoked, and can def. say I will never take marajuana, I do like a drink or two, but personally dont see the problem with smoking now that I dont have to breathe everyone elses smoke when out, and dont think it is fair to suggest banning it, ok smoking is bad for your health, only an idiot would argue otherwise, but I am sure the duty on fags more than cover the cost of healthcare for the effects, the same goes for alcohol.

As for legalising marajuana, I think if I were a user, I would probably be wanting it kept illegal... because if were to be legalised, it should be taxed as heavily as alcohol and tabacco are.

only my opinion.

Well Said :clap::clap:

Sheilz
2nd November 2009, 11:44 PM
There is one very good argument for legalising the most commonly abused drugs for those who have an addiction and that is to reduce the profit to criminal organisations, the nasty wee peddlar outside the school gate and the wee nyaff that beats up your granny for the cost of their daily fix. It also means that people trying to tackle addiction can be honest about their usage. In certain cases I'd go further and provide it for free, in a very controlled environment to eliminate the child poverty that tragically goes hand in hand with addiction. I would only support legalising illegal substances if the purpose was (perhaps utopian) of erradicating this menace from society. I would not support it for anyone to start a habit.

While providing the addict with their chosen poison may cost a fair bit to the taxpayer for providing clinics and such like, the long term saving would be enormous: in human cost immeasurable. I'd happily pick up a redundancy cheque if this could be achieved.

stoney
3rd November 2009, 08:51 AM
well i have been looking online a bit about this and it turns out there are a few places in the world where you can smoke it with out worrying ie in spain you are allowed to grow 2 x canabis plants in your own home for your own use but it is iligal to sell the drug

amsterdam as said you can go in to a coffie shop and get it over the counter just like you can fag and boose here

and more they are the 2 main ones that pop up so if it is all that bad as most peps are saying then why are there other contries with in the eu that have far laxer laws on the stuf than we do

i think its stupid that pepole get up and say thats iligal you should not do it well speeding is ilegal but i bet every one of you here has gone above 70 mph on the moterway

RANT OVER

doogz__
3rd November 2009, 09:28 AM
I think some people that haven't been exposed to the drug, and people that use the drug, have kinda got the wrong idea about what it does.

I've seen people drunk, fighting. I've seen people on a bad trip, fighting. I've seen people on charlie, fighting.

I've never seen someone who is a bit stoned doing anything other than being silly, or chilling the f*ck out.

However, i have also seen the long term effects. My mate Jonny's short term memory is gone, if you've tried to have a sensible or serious conversation with someone who is really stoned, it's hard work, they loose concentration, and need to concentrate on what they're saying. He's like that permenantly now.

But.

He doesn't care. He's happy. So how wrong is it? I don't know.

GCA3N
3rd November 2009, 09:51 AM
well i have been looking online a bit about this and it turns out there are a few places in the world where you can smoke it with out worrying ie in spain you are allowed to grow 2 x canabis plants in your own home for your own use but it is iligal to sell the drug

amsterdam as said you can go in to a coffie shop and get it over the counter just like you can fag and boose here

and more they are the 2 main ones that pop up so if it is all that bad as most peps are saying then why are there other contries with in the eu that have far laxer laws on the stuf than we do

i think its stupid that pepole get up and say thats iligal you should not do it well speeding is ilegal but i bet every one of you here has gone above 70 mph on the moterway

RANT OVER

Why not just legalise prostitution, and murder, feck it lets make it legal to have sex at any age. Laws are there for a reason, the argument that some people break them means we should legalise it has no foundation.
I agree that cannibis use is not the worse thing in the world (drug related) and that alcohol is a greater blight on todays society, but even alcohol has it's rules and regs.

I also totally dissagree with your comment " i think its stupid that pepole get up and say thats iligal you should not do it"
It's not stupid, just like you saying it should be legalised is not stupid. You are entitled to your opinion, you are entitled to air your views, the whole point of a debate is to here both sides of an argument.

I would like to know why you feel cannibis use is ok, and how you would control it.

doogz__
3rd November 2009, 10:04 AM
Laws are there for a reason. But why is cannabis banned by law, and alcohol is not?

Who makes up the laws? And who's to say they're right?

As we, and the world we live in evolve, so does the law. You used to be able to do things 50 years ago, that you cant now, and vice versa.

GCA3N
3rd November 2009, 11:53 AM
. You used to be able to do things 50 years ago, that you cant now, and vice versa.

please elaborate.

doogz__
3rd November 2009, 12:05 PM
When the M1 opened, there was no speed limit.

You used to be able to smoke in public places.

Corporal punishment was legal

Hanging was legal

All of these things have changed.

But now we're at a position where you think that the law should be fixed, none of them should ever be altered, as the country evolves?

GCA3N
3rd November 2009, 01:21 PM
When the M1 opened, there was no speed limit.

You used to be able to smoke in public places.

Corporal punishment was legal

Hanging was legal

All of these things have changed.

But now we're at a position where you think that the law should be fixed, none of them should ever be altered, as the country evolves?

Speed limits are essential, could do though with raising motor ways possibly to 80mph

passive smoking is now proved to cause cancer, so fantastic it is banned in public.

Corporal punishment should never have changed (whole different argument)

Laws on cannibis HAVE changed and evolved over time, as you know On 29th January 2004, cannabis had been reclassified from a Class B to a Class C drug in the UK, but as of Jan 26th 2009, it was reclassified it back to Class B. For a reason.

Before:
CLASS C CANNABIS
It's still illegal
If you are under 18, you will be arrested and given a formal warning
Up to 2 years in jail for possession
Up to 14 years in jail for supplying or dealing

now:
CLASS B CANNABIS
Illegal.
If you are under 18, you will be arrested and given a formal warning.
Up to 5 years in jail for possession
Up to 14 years in jail for supplying or dealing

Oh and I can't remember stating that I think that the law is always right, or that it should never be changed, only that while it is there, we have an obligation as law abiding citizens to obey it. Yes we can question it, challange it, even become part of changing it, but while it still says we can't do it, we should'nt.

doogz__
3rd November 2009, 01:54 PM
And many people are saying it was re-classified incorrectly, the report which resulted in the decision was incorrect and biased, apparently.

I never said you stated such a thing, which is why there was a question mark after my comment, and i'm not saying i disagree with you, i was just questioning your reasoning.

And your last comment brings me back to, speeding is illegal, therefore, you shouldn't do it.

But you still do.

Law's are there to be bent?

Bazthemod
3rd November 2009, 04:42 PM
Love reading a good debate haha makes me miss KJ sometimes! :p;)

:Whistle:

Burple
3rd November 2009, 05:00 PM
I would like to know why you feel cannibis use is ok, and how you would control it.

When was the last time you heard of someone smoking cannabis, then starting a fight outside a pub, smashing a bottle into a random stranger's face? It doesn't happen.
I'm not saying it shouldn't be illegal, but it's NOT legal because it CAN'T be controlled like alcohol or tobacco.. and by 'controlled' I mean TAXED.

Yes, it can potentially lead to schizophrenic episodes, but only in those already prone to mental health issues.
Research has also shown the overall addiction potential for cannabis to be much less than for tobacco, alcohol, cocaine or heroin.
..and if you take any drugs then drive, then no sympathy if you get caught.

Gateway drug? nonsense. If that was the case, alcohold and tobacco should both be illegal too.

Just my 2p, but before anybody starts ranting about the ills of drug abuse.. just remember, if you're a smoker, you're a drug addict too (although in that case a fully government supported one...)

Interesting reading... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_cannabis

stoney
3rd November 2009, 06:31 PM

i never said it was ok i just think that as others have said you dont see some one thats stoned not able to walk around

as with booze you see pepole coming out the pub hardly able to stand !!!!

i have been to amsterdam 4/5 times in my life and love the place think the people are frendly and willing to have a chat dont want to start a fight just cos you looked at them the wrong way

i think this is a drug that could be regulated and that way the govement could tax it and make money out it then you would have the diffrent strenghts of the drug and it would not be mixed with things that could kill you also it would take the dealers off the street for that kind of thing

now that can not be a bad thing can it ??

so i say http://www.123pimp.com/graphics/cat/marijuana/free_the_weed.gif :bigwave:;)

AndyP & Lenore
3rd November 2009, 07:41 PM
Love reading a good debate haha makes me miss KJ sometimes! :p;)

:Whistle:

PMSL.:laugh:

Can you imagine if Duncan was here too?:laugh:

A.:D

GCA3N
3rd November 2009, 08:08 PM
Yes you are right never seen anyone smoking cannibis/stonned starting a fight, but that's not the argument.
I have seen first hand what cannibis does to it's users and I don't care what anyone says, prolonged use of cannibis effects your mental state. I had a good mate who was into sports, energetic, out going fun guy, he started using around the age of 14 ish, he is now 37 and over the years he changed dramatically (well apart from all the obvious age changes) even early on his whole attitude and demeanour changed. He became lazy, lethargic and his whole out look on life changed. I have also seem this happening in my brothers too. These are my experiences, so I find it hard to accept the argument it does no harm. While we are on the subject I would be happy if alcohol was banned too:eek:, it causes more harm than all the drug users etc put together.

Sheilz
3rd November 2009, 10:05 PM
I don't agree with the views about cannabis being ok. A parent out of their face is just as neglectful of their kids and incapable of responding to their needs as the one high on coke. If some of you who support legalising it actually saw what it does to families and the utter misery it visits on children you might not be so keen on legalising it. Its pretty sad that folk have such little coping mechanisms that they can only cope with life or have a need to escape via being out of their faces.

I'm cynical about the Professor Nutt carry on. I think what's p*ssed off the government more than anything is the fact that he's highlighted that alcohol and tobacco, high revenue earners for the treasury are both extremely dangerous substances. Shows up the hypocracy of the government.

Bazthemod
3rd November 2009, 10:15 PM
PMSL.:laugh:

Can you imagine if Duncan was here too?:laugh:

A.:D

Now that would be entertainment! :D

GCA3N
3rd November 2009, 10:56 PM
I don't agree with the views about cannabis being ok. A parent out of their face is just as neglectful of their kids and incapable of responding to their needs as the one high on coke. If some of you who support legalising it actually saw what it does to families and the utter misery it visits on children you might not be so keen on legalising it. Its pretty sad that folk have such little coping mechanisms that they can only cope with life or have a need to escape via being out of their faces.

I'm cynical about the Professor Nutt carry on. I think what's p*ssed off the government more than anything is the fact that he's highlighted that alcohol and tobacco, high revenue earners for the treasury are both extremely dangerous substances. Shows up the hypocracy of the government.

100% agree:thumbs up:

Gismo
4th November 2009, 03:42 AM
I don't care what anyone saysThen there are no grounds for you to debate it :Whistle:

GCA3N
4th November 2009, 07:00 AM
Then there are no grounds for you to debate it :Whistle:

Talk about taking something out of context the sentence finished "I don't care what anyone says, prolonged use of cannibis effects your mental stat" Cheeky:p

Gismo
4th November 2009, 07:19 AM
Talk about taking something out of context the sentence finished "I don't care what anyone says, prolonged use of cannibis effects your mental stat" Cheeky:p:Whistle: :D

doogz__
4th November 2009, 09:07 AM
The effect it has on families, is one of the reasons it shouldn't be legalised?

But you've just said it already has a terrible affect on some families, so what difference does it make if it's ever legalised or not?

GCA3N
4th November 2009, 09:25 AM

But you've just said it already has a terrible affect on some families, so what difference does it make if it's ever legalised or not?

I would think it would be worse. If alcohol was made illegal would people stop drinking , well i'd argue most of us would, yes it would go underground and some would still find their fix. The same thing happened when smoking was banned in public places, i know loads of people who stopped because of this. If cannibis was more available and it was not an offence more people would try it, no doubt, and that in itself cannot be good thing.

Sheilz
4th November 2009, 07:31 PM

Its for these kind of families that you could make an argument for legalising it. Not just cannabis but heroin too. There are too many parents who spend most of their income on drugs rather than food for the kids, or electricity to keep them warm. These will be the same ones who have bare floorboards, meagre bed coverings but with the lates hi-tec tv in the corner (I have a theory about that too - easier to get tvs off the back of lorries than carpets :frown: - that's only my theory you understand and not founded on anything other than a very cynical mind :blush:)

Thing is about drugs is its very tempting when you're young to experiment. The majority of people will have had a basic standard of upbringing so that when push comes to shove maturity will encourage them to make the right choices ie saying No.This often happens when they've had a bit of a scare or been turned off by seeing someone with a needle hanging out of their arm and such other stuff or just grown up. For others who also only see themselves as experimenting they will become hooked and get sucked into the lifestyle. Some of those who become addicts will do so because they have an addictive personality. The need to get stoned or high stops them having to face up to the reality of the situation they've got caught up in. For another group it will be just the norm for their family or community.

The suggestion of legalising some drugs is very much conditional on it being part of a reduction/control programme to eliminate some of the cirme and deprivation that leads to crime and all sorts of other social problems. Its not an argument to legalise it across the board to encourage kids to come along and sample.

There are of course other drugs that youngsters mess around with. Can't mind the one that begins with a T - some kind of horse medicine that gives kids a buzz, but if anyone knows anyone who thinks its cool :confused: to shove this over their throat on a weekend, advise them that paralysis is a terrible thing to live with.

doogz__
4th November 2009, 09:08 PM
Cynical doesn't quite cover it lol.

Heroin though! That's a big leap from pot. As i commented, it really doesn't make a difference to me, if cannabis is legal or not. I don't see how it would have an effect on me, but heroin is a bit of a different story, much much more addictive. And currently harder to get a hold of, there are kids selling pot on every other street corner these days, but making something like heroin more readily available to anyone and everyone is a bit different, imo of course.

Sheilz
5th November 2009, 12:30 AM
Cynical doesn't quite cover it lol.

Heroin though! That's a big leap from pot. As i commented, it really doesn't make a difference to me, if cannabis is legal or not. I don't see how it would have an effect on me, but heroin is a bit of a different story, much much more addictive. And currently harder to get a hold of, there are kids selling pot on every other street corner these days, but making something like heroin more readily available to anyone and everyone is a bit different, imo of course.

It is a big leap legalising heroin from doing the same for cannabis, totally agree with you and to some extent it requires thinking out of the box. Its a bit like when folk experiencing a lot of emotional distress cut themselves etc. How do you deal with it when any cut could intentionally/unintentionally lead to maiming or death? One school of thought is to provide a safe place where first aid and clean cutting equipment is available to minimise infection and such like. Takes a bit to get your head round that one. Same with heroin BUT only for those with an addiction and as a means of supporting them to get clean and keep their families together. I think that kind of thing could also have a big impact on drug related crimes. The punitive approach hasn't worked so perhaps its time the government tried being a bit more creative in tackling the problem rather than investing in methadone programmes which are a menace in themselves and filling the jails with addicts.

doogz__
5th November 2009, 10:09 AM
Ah see, there's a big difference between providing somewhere where it's legal for them to get a fix, with a view to weaning them off it, and just legalising it, so anyone can get their hands on it. I originally thought you meant the latter

Sheilz
5th November 2009, 08:18 PM
Ah see, there's a big difference between providing somewhere where it's legal for them to get a fix, with a view to weaning them off it, and just legalising it, so anyone can get their hands on it. I originally thought you meant the latter

Spot on :thumbs up: