PDA

View Full Version : M3 Vs Mini

P155 ON U
30th October 2009, 05:41 PM
What would win??? M3 or Mini or how about an M3 mini??:thumbs up::cool:;)

Livi
30th October 2009, 05:47 PM
Think you have this topic in the wrong location again mate.

Craig
30th October 2009, 06:02 PM
Think you have this topic in the wrong location again mate.

Correct - and sorted. :thumbs up:

You'll get the hang of it Craig... ;)

TheDoctor46
30th October 2009, 08:02 PM
What would win??? M3 or Mini or how about an M3 mini??:thumbs up::cool:;)

In terms of what exactly????:confused:

Mini_Disaster
30th October 2009, 08:23 PM
Both is a win in my books:D

Gismo
31st October 2009, 05:41 AM
Well, being in the lucky position to have owned both at the same time the cars are two totally different beasts.
No way the MINI would win on track, in the right hands of course.

From a stop to 60 or even 100 the M3 is gonna win everytime due to the inability of the MINI to keep traction.

All in all, not a really fair comparison, my M3 was the car i always wanted, but, the MINI was more fun :thumbs up:

Craig
31st October 2009, 09:34 AM
All in all, not a really fair comparison, my M3 was the car i always wanted, but, the MINI was more fun :thumbs up:

are you sure you don't me "Julie's" M3 ...:moonie::D

Gismo
31st October 2009, 09:36 AM
are you sure you don't me "Julie's" M3 ...:moonie::D:blush: :Whistle: :moonie:

P155 ON U
1st November 2009, 09:01 PM
what about a mini with an M3 block in it?

TheDoctor46
1st November 2009, 09:02 PM
Sorry mate, but are you taking the 'Michael'???:confused:

The Dogfather
1st November 2009, 09:06 PM

It has been done but god knows why, the essence of the MINI is a car that is small, fun and handles well. Putting a heavy, powerful engine into a MINI would ruin it.

P155 ON U
1st November 2009, 09:06 PM

sorry? but i think you will find its been done more than once.

TheDoctor46
1st November 2009, 09:09 PM
It has been done but god knows why, the essence of the MINI is a car that is small, fun and handles well. Putting a heavy, powerful engine into a MINI would ruin it.

sorry? but i think you will find its been done more than once.

P155 ON U............The Dogfather has made the point i was trying to get across.;)

Surely the cost would be silly for such a conversion???:confused:

P155 ON U
1st November 2009, 09:11 PM
P155 ON U............The Dogfather has made the point i was trying to get across.;)

Surely the cost would be silly for such a conversion???:confused:

Depends what you would class silly as! if you have the right place and means to do so why not?

TheDoctor46
1st November 2009, 09:15 PM
Depends what you would class silly as! if you have the right place and means to do so why not?

Because it wouldnt handle etc etc. Even if you had the 'means' to do it, it must still mean an absolute sh*t load of man hours no??
Exactly what has these conversions achieved apart from alot more power with 'ill handling'?

The Dogfather
1st November 2009, 09:19 PM
You can get M3 power out of the standard MINI engine with a Turbo conversion, ask Alan. However getting that amount of power through the front wheels and retaining driveability is a different matter. Look at the JCW that uses very sophisticated electronics to get 220ish down and still be an enjoyable drive.

P155 ON U
1st November 2009, 09:19 PM
Because it wouldnt handle etc etc. Even if you had the 'means' to do it, it must still mean an absolute sh*t load of man hours no??
Exactly what has these conversions achieved apart from alot more power with 'ill handling'?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://germancarscene.com/wp-content/uploads/mini2-s3-23-08-06.JPG&imgrefurl=http://germancarscene.com/2006/08/23/bmw-m3-powered-mini/&usg=__xCC6yq6I4rHZhsqG0oqhV9HMkOM=&h=351&w=468&sz=173&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=aoT7C2G7bYicvM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmini%2Bm3%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

yea there would be or there is alot of man hours but like i say if you have the means why not! its been proven it can be done and they can work. handling has never come up as an issue.

The Dogfather
1st November 2009, 09:23 PM
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://germancarscene.com/wp-content/uploads/mini2-s3-23-08-06.JPG&imgrefurl=http://germancarscene.com/2006/08/23/bmw-m3-powered-mini/&usg=__xCC6yq6I4rHZhsqG0oqhV9HMkOM=&h=351&w=468&sz=173&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=aoT7C2G7bYicvM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=128&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmini%2Bm3%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

yea there would be or there is alot of man hours but like i say if you have the means why not! its been proven it can be done and they can work. handling has never come up as an issue.

Just noticed that's a RWD car, so ignore my comments about the handling. However I wouldn't like to get a car that short, with that much power anywhere the limit as it'll spin for fun.

TheDoctor46
1st November 2009, 09:27 PM

I have read a few 'reviews' on these 'conversions'.
The cost issue is HHUUUUGGEEE, especially if you want to do it right.
There are a few 'race car Minis' with the conversion, infact there was one for sale not too long ago........price was nearly 90,000 euros i believe:eek::eek:
Sure, it was a race car, but surely if the price of the car was correct, can you imagine the amount of work they had to put into it to demand that kind of money??
But hey, if you do manage to do it, i want a shot!! lol!!:thumbs up:
Rear drive in a Mini with that kinda power must be great fun trying to keep it in a straight line!!!! lol!!

Livi
1st November 2009, 09:49 PM
It would also depend on what era of M3 you are talking about.

obviously the newer one like Alans would be the advantage being a 4.0 v8

Smitty
2nd November 2009, 12:14 AM
I'd say it would be a waste of a perfectly good MINI, and a perfectly good M3. Keep them separate....both brilliant cars in there own rights! :yes nod:

C.Noble
2nd November 2009, 02:14 AM
In other words, what you are really asking is...

What would win, a MINI, an M3 or a fully spaceframed racing chassis with a race tuned M3 engine, a racing sequential gearbox, LSD, custom built rose jointed suspension all round that is sod all like the MINI or M3, with racing mono tube dampers, racing slicks and that happens to have MINI shaped kevlar panels... Hmmm, that would be a close run race.

GCA3N
2nd November 2009, 07:14 AM
I'd say it would be a waste of a perfectly good MINI, and a perfectly good M3. Keep them separate....both brilliant cars in there own rights! :yes nod:

:thumbs up: most sensible comment yet.

doogz__
2nd November 2009, 09:39 AM
Can i ask what the point in this thread is?

Are you planning on building one? Do you have one?

And as Craig pointed out, there wouldn't be much mini left, you'd need to totally rebuild all of the suspension, to incorporate RWD, the shell and chassis would need to be extensively modified to mount the engine longitudinally, as well as modifying the transmission tunnel to even get the prop shaft in, and the rear diff mounted.

And which engine are you referring to, as you can choose from a 2.3 16v 4-pot, a 3.0 I6, a 3.2 I6 or the 4.0 V8!

P155 ON U
2nd November 2009, 02:34 PM
Can i ask what the point in this thread is?

Are you planning on building one? Do you have one?

And as Craig pointed out, there wouldn't be much mini left, you'd need to totally rebuild all of the suspension, to incorporate RWD, the shell and chassis would need to be extensively modified to mount the engine longitudinally, as well as modifying the transmission tunnel to even get the prop shaft in, and the rear diff mounted.

And which engine are you referring to, as you can choose from a 2.3 16v 4-pot, a 3.0 I6, a 3.2 I6 or the 4.0 V8!

I have a 3.2 sitting waiting. You think thats alot of work? i wont be doing it so i wouldnt care! I have found people are very short with you on this forum. where is the harm in asking a question.

doogz__
2nd November 2009, 02:40 PM
There's no harm in asking. I was just wondering why you were asking, and yes, there will be a huge amount of work involved in a conversion of that sort. You'll basically end up with a custom spaceframe, with some mini panels bolted on. Just about everything else, drivetrain, suspension, brakes, steering, will all need to be custom.

If you have an engine sitting, buy an utter banger of a 316i, stick it in that. No-one will suspect a thing!

P155 ON U
2nd November 2009, 02:47 PM
There's no harm in asking. I was just wondering why you were asking, and yes, there will be a huge amount of work involved in a conversion of that sort. You'll basically end up with a custom spaceframe, with some mini panels bolted on. Just about everything else, drivetrain, suspension, brakes, steering, will all need to be custom.

If you have an engine sitting, buy an utter banger of a 316i, stick it in that. No-one will suspect a thing!

I want to put it in a mini though! thanks anyway!

doogz__
2nd November 2009, 02:49 PM
Fair enough. Hope you've got deep pockets. Very deep pockets!

C.Noble
2nd November 2009, 03:20 PM
We priced up making a special one off MINI for someone, wont go into all the details, but it would have a large, mid mounted engine and as it would have left most of the front end standard (except the engine and box being deleted and uprating the dampers, springs and brakes) and only totally redesigning/strengthening the rear of the car, as opposed to completely spaceframing as would be needed to fit the M3 in yours... we estimated to do ours properly to be around about 30 to 40k depending on how nuts you went with the dampers and engine... I believe, NOTHING is impossible to do (NASA can put a man on the moon... I think we can put a big engine in a little car!) its just that it is often impossible to fund!

Like Doogz posted... for this conversion, those pockets had better be deep enough to hold 40-50k of wonga, but you would have something pretty special when you were finished though.

ianking
2nd November 2009, 04:57 PM
like others have said I would get myself a nice old 316 or even an old 2002 and stick a modern M3 engine in it. That would be a really nice old wolf, otherwise its just going to be a space frame with an M3 engine bolted in and MINI panels bolted on. Not really a MINI at all.

However its each to their own.

TheDoctor46
2nd November 2009, 06:08 PM
Hope you've got deep pockets. Very deep pockets!

Thats exactly what i was saying in a previous post. I'm sure i can remember one being for sale a while back and the asking price was 90,000 euros:eek:
A conversion of that price would surely be a total waste of money???:confused:

The Dogfather
2nd November 2009, 06:42 PM
like others have said I would get myself a nice old 316 or even an old 2002 and stick a modern M3 engine in it. That would be a really nice old wolf.

Now that would be a great car :D

doogz__
3rd November 2009, 08:38 AM
My mate is selling his old 1602, i'm really tempted to buy it!

philthy
14th November 2009, 03:48 PM
I think you need to get your head out the clouds.
The M3 Block is huge, weighs an absolute tonne and needs to be mated to the RWD drivetrain.

So a brief summary you will need to remake engine mounts, bulkhead, make a tunnel to the rear, mate some sort of RWD subframe to a mini chassis.

in fact why am I bothering to reply to this thread...

Gaz-Muir
15th November 2009, 06:35 PM
I think you need to get your head out the clouds.
The M3 Block is huge, weighs an absolute tonne and needs to be mated to the RWD drivetrain.

So a brief summary you will need to remake engine mounts, bulkhead, make a tunnel to the rear, mate some sort of RWD subframe to a mini chassis.

in fact why am I bothering to reply to this thread...

Amen!

Id put a wager on you being a 17yr old dreamer.

rpn
15th November 2009, 08:36 PM
I want to put it in a mini though! thanks anyway!

And don't forget to tint the windows to the max too! http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w214/rpn48/pokefun.gif :D :lol:

illegalhunter
16th November 2009, 04:34 PM
M3 all day every day

badwolf340
16th November 2009, 09:26 PM
M3 all day every day

got to agree with that :clap:

MonsteR
20th January 2011, 02:23 AM
If you want an M3 buy an M3 and don't waste a perfectly good mini :P lol ............ Mind u I've always wondered what a Landrover based Tomcat would be like with a subaru impreza engine dropped in it :P but thats a totally different thing!

Livi
20th January 2011, 11:25 PM
Nov 2009 :O

Quite a blast fae the past

Forbes
21st January 2011, 12:50 AM
Nov 2009 :O

Quite a blast fae the past

Livi posting

Quite a blast fae the past:p

http://www.gifbin.com/981560http://www.gifbin.com/981560