PDA

View Full Version : Falkirk Council are a disgrace....!

Craig
29th October 2009, 07:05 PM
As most of you will know Jude's mum passed away earlier this month. As she lived in a council rented property, we have had to deal with emptying the house very quickly and having the property in a good condition to give back to the council. She had a VERY jam packed house full of stuff and the emptying took longer than we thought, plus you have to have everything (and I do mean everything out of the house). This includes, all applicances (including cooker, washing machine tumble dryer etc), all lamp shades, floor coverings and underlay. :thud:

So, along with having the bills for the house to sort out, a funeral, the grief and this, it's been a frantic few weeks. :yawn:

So I take the keys in today to the housing office to hand them in and gave details of myself and next of kin etc, so once I did that the lady phoned up to finance and asked if there was anything outstanding, and I was then informed that there was rent to pay... :eek: I them went upstairs to see finance/housing.

Jude's mum was not a wealthy women, so she received housing benefit and therefore paid no rent. As of date of death, the benefit stopped and WE are now liable for rent on the property from date of death til we handed the keys into the council.. :thud: This means that we will shortly receive a bill for £173.07 for 3 weeks rent :argh::argh::ragin:

I find it utterly disgraceful, that any family should have to be subjected to this, as if we hadn't enough to do with clearing the house and organising a funeral.. It would appear that as soon as someone dies in Falkirk Council area, you have to have the keys in by the Sunday after the death or you have to start paying FULL rent for it... :argh:

Anyway, rant over, I feel slightly better off, but still not sure whether to pay this or fight it... jude doesn't want to fight, but I just find this very distasteful... :frown:

The Dogfather
29th October 2009, 07:14 PM
Obviously you will do what Jude wants.

But if it had been me I'd refuse to pay and I'd tell them to take me to court to get the money, I'd also get the local press and MSP involved. Legally I doubt they have a leg to stand on as you weren't the tenant.

Is a fecking disgrace right enough.

Neil and Lorna
29th October 2009, 07:20 PM
Craig.

Utterly distastefully if you ask me.:argh:

I'm with Paul on this, tell them to stuff it. :nag: :yes nod:

Neil.

Craig
29th October 2009, 07:29 PM
thanks guys. my local MP has already been spoken to and told me he would support us should we wish to fight it... ;)

I just can't believe that they expect to have the keys back within a few days of ANYONE passing... :rolleyes::ragin:

ianking
29th October 2009, 07:35 PM
you were / are not the tennant. You never signed any lease agreement. No need to pay I would think.

Craig
29th October 2009, 07:41 PM
I hear what your saying Ian, however they (the council) state that the executor of the estate is now liable (ie Jude) and although she is as angry as me about this, we don't want a long drawn out battle which could take months (or years..!). :argh: If it were up to me, I would be fighting it... I am still going to complain in writing to my MP and also to the local paper.. :frown:

GCA3N
29th October 2009, 08:25 PM
I cannot believe that they would do stuff like this Craig, I am so so sorry for both you and Jude, like you say all you have had to go through (as well as my exhaust) and then they lay this on you.
Me personally, I think i would want to fight but you have to think of Jude and how she feels. Why dont you contact the papers and maybe get cash for the story. Atleast enough to pay the bill anyway. Anyway Craig all our thoughts are still with you both, best of luck mate.

AndyP & Lenore
29th October 2009, 08:57 PM
******* disgraceful.

I'd suggest when the bill comes in, send it right back to the council, with a letter saying if it's not cancelled in 24 hours you'll go to the local papers.

A.:frown:

rpn
29th October 2009, 09:16 PM
I'm lost for word. :ragin: How can they do that. :ragin: :ragin:

I'll contact Ann Robinson of Watchdog. :computer: :nag:

Just Jade
29th October 2009, 09:23 PM
Yes Craig write to your MSP and the Chief Exec of the Council. Even if the reasons given to you are Council Policy, there are grounds for compassion especially in situations like yours ;)

I work for West Lothian Council, and as soon as a letter from an MSP arrives, all stops are pulled to get the matter investigated and dealt with immediately!

Scottie
29th October 2009, 09:28 PM
terrible. As others have said obviously you will do what Jude wants but.

I would have thought from a legal point of view that the council would have to submit the bill to Judes mothers estate and the bill be settled from that it is then your duty as executor to make sure all debts are paid from the estate if the debt owed is more than what is in the estate I'm sure you are not personally responsible for the debt although I not 100% on that think there is a few things that come in to play.

I'm sure when my brother , mother and I went through all the legal stuff recently with mums solicitor an executor duties and responsibilities are all depending on whether all this was appointed for and signed with a lawyer etc than that of an executor that was not appointed legally and again it all changes if no will was left. Anyway I would seek legal advice first before you do anything.

Takes a about 6 months for a persons estate to be all wound up.

They are so many things to think about as our parents start to need help take Allan's Dad long term in hospital after I think it was 6 weeks the estate took his pension off him.

Craig
29th October 2009, 10:15 PM
thanks very much for all the advice and support. We shall see what the next few days hold... ;)

The Dogfather
29th October 2009, 10:28 PM
Craig, if you really want to make them squirm - send in a Freedom of Information request asking for the number of people who've been chased for rent following a death and how many have been let off. That should give you an idea if there is a precedent for people being let off or some ammunition for paper/MPs etc. They have to reply within 60 days I think.

Craig
29th October 2009, 10:44 PM
Craig, if you really want to make them squirm - send in a Freedom of Information request asking for the number of people who've been chased for rent following a death and how many have been let off. That should give you an idea if there is a precedent for people being let off or some ammunition for paper/MPs etc. They have to reply within 60 days I think.

another good idea Paul - Cheers :thumbs up:

Stewart
30th October 2009, 01:07 AM
:frown:

You do your best and do the right thing by clearing the house that lets face it as I’ve done it twice now is blooming hard work within a good time frame. Leave them a house that is probably in good order that you would think they would be delighted to have back and able to gain future rent in all probability.

And just to say thanks give you a kick in the nuts for your efforts. A few months after My grandfather died we got a TV licence bill for an empty flat and they got told were they could stick it……..they even wanted to visit the Flat. And when I say letter it was a nasty peace of work the second one accusing us of deceit after I had told them in the first letter it was an empty flat. :ragin:

Delboy
30th October 2009, 09:06 AM
Absolutely scandalous :frown: and the last thing you need at a time like this. I can understand why Jude doesn't want to fight it but on the other hand she might be glad she did at a later date...?
All the best with whatever decision you make.

john
30th October 2009, 09:19 AM
The world is certainly changing and not for the better, I bet they don't chase the families of the Junkies that die in their flats, like the Police and the CSA they chase the decent people because they are easy targets and dont want any hassle and its time it stopped.

Gismo
30th October 2009, 10:12 AM
The world is certainly changing and not for the better, I bet they don't chase the families of the Junkies that die in their flats, like the Police and the CSA they chase the decent people because they are easy targets and dont want any hassle and its time it stopped.Couldn't have put that any better :ragin:
Gutted for you Craig, easy for all of us looking in not in the middle of it, but, i would certainly advise against paying for it.

Any monies due should be taken from the estate of the deceased, the executor is not liable for any outstanding debts if not jointly responsible for the actual money.
If Jude's mother was on allowances, then that means Jude's earnings etc were not needed for her claim in the first instance, so, cannot understand why they can claim now.

The Dogfather
30th October 2009, 10:44 AM
Make them work for it, tell them to go through the legal channels to recover the debt...

N16SHP
30th October 2009, 01:26 PM
you were / are not the tennant. You never signed any lease agreement. No need to pay I would think.

When my mother in law's brother died, she had the same problem with Newcastle CC, but she fought it and won!

KenL
30th October 2009, 02:19 PM
An absolute disgrace, they have no feelings for you guys at what is already a terrible time.

The amount they are after is a drop in the ocean and they have a cheek to ask for it.

TBH they should be paying you for the time you had to put in.

Crombers
30th October 2009, 09:12 PM
In a word .......... P!SH :ragin:

I'd challenge it but I ain't in the place Jude or you are right now :sad:

TheDoctor46
30th October 2009, 09:54 PM
I just can't believe that they expect to have the keys back within a few days of ANYONE passing... :rolleyes::ragin:

This is the bit that annoys me the most!!!! :ragin: I mean, how can ANYONE be expected to EMPTY an entire house, funeral arrangements etc etc AND then be able to hand back the keys within 2-3 days of probably one of the most harrowing days of your lives???!!!!:ragin::argh:

Feel for you mate :sad: