PDA

View Full Version : Cold start (diesel) rattle - Clubman

Delboy
29th October 2009, 03:41 PM
I started experiencing (very occasionally) the infamous cold start rattle on my Cooper S Clubman over the past couple of months so I booked it into Douglas Park in Hillington (Glasgow) and it had the recognised fix installed this week. Hopefully this will have resolved the issue - time will tell.

I must say that DP were very good about this and although they didn't hear the noise first hand they still carried out the work under warranty. Having said that, they know me quite well :rolleyes: so I would've been surprised if they'd resisted at all ;).

GCA3N
29th October 2009, 06:50 PM
I had the same fix as you Del, and as yet no probs since.

On another note are you working Friday 6th November, getting the exhaust fitted, but will be trying to make the 6pm boat. If I turn up at your door then I have missed it. Sorry :off topic:

Delboy
29th October 2009, 07:40 PM
I had the same fix as you Del, and as yet no probs since.

On another note are you working Friday 6th November, getting the exhaust fitted, but will be trying to make the 6pm boat. If I turn up at your door then I have missed it. Sorry :off topic:

Yeah, the problem only started after you mentioned the issue a couple of months back :rolleyes::lol:.

I've sent you a pm on the "off topic" matter.

Craig
29th October 2009, 07:43 PM
great news Del... If they had fixed it that quickly back in 2007 I might still have an R56, but it ended up taking 30 months to find the fix... :rolleyes::frown:

as for the exhaust Greig, you will be on the road before 1 so as long as you don't drive like a granny, you'll make the boat... :thumbs up::off topic:

Delboy
29th October 2009, 07:52 PM
great news Del... If they had fixed it that quickly back in 2007 I might still have an R56, but it ended up taking 30 months to find the fix... :rolleyes::frown:

as for the exhaust Greig, you will be on the road before 1 so as long as you don't drive like a granny, you'll make the boat... :thumbs up::off topic:

Nice update on both topics :thumbs up::clap:

GCA3N
29th October 2009, 08:16 PM

I have a drop off to do near dumfermline, ya cheeky monkey, and need to see my ma too.

Can't believe Baz hasn't commented yet on yer witty repartee. I am no slouch I'd kick your butt, mr 400 miles to a tank.....:p:lol:

GCA3N
29th October 2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah, the problem only started after you mentioned the issue a couple of months back :rolleyes::lol:.

Better not talk about, punctures, broken windscreens, chipped bodywork or engine management lights...:eek::lol:

Craig
29th October 2009, 08:20 PM
Can't believe Baz hasn't commented yet on yer witty repartee. I am no slouch I'd kick your butt, mr 400 miles to a tank.....:p:lol:

400 miles :eek: I wish.. more like 300... :thud::Whistle:

GCA3N
29th October 2009, 08:28 PM
400 miles :eek: I wish.. more like 300... :thud::Whistle:

aye what ever speedy:lol:

Actually the only time I had to really follow you, it was, how shall we put it, energetic. Got loads of practice following Baz now, so would'nt be a problem now. Heaven help us if that boy gets an S.:Whistle:

funkyboy28
7th February 2010, 11:27 PM
hi,

My mini does the rattle when it is cold as others seem to know about on here. Mine is a R56 Cooper D and when i mentioned it at the garage they couldn't see any fault. As it is going in the garage again shortly could anyone give me advice on what the problem is?

thanks

The Dogfather
7th February 2010, 11:34 PM
The rattle only affects the R56 Cooper S

GCA3N
8th February 2010, 12:17 AM
Like Paul says this cold start rattle or diesel rattle as it's become known as ( due to the engine sounding like a rough diesel) only effects the r56s, not sure what yours might be.

Sheilz
8th February 2010, 02:39 AM
Now I'm confused. Is there a diesel S ? I didn't know that. Not sure which planet I've been visiting.

Fartin Martin
8th February 2010, 03:08 AM
Now I'm confused. Is there a diesel S ? I didn't know that. Not sure which planet I've been visiting.

no..just think theres been abit of confusion :lol:

GCA3N
8th February 2010, 09:21 AM

No diesel S. Like I said the rattle encountered on the petrol turbos (r56S) was believed to be the chain tension unit hitting the chain tensioner casing. This generally only happened on cold starts and when
it does happen the petrol turbos sound a bit like a diesel engine starting. Hope that explains a bit more.

ELFMAN
8th February 2010, 10:58 AM
Also on some MINI Forums, the noise has been attributed to the oil not getting to the 'top end' of the R56 S engine quickly enough... and the noise going away (mostly) when the oil has reached the places it should. However, the Tensioner Fix seems to sort things in quite a few cases, so who knows. I've had this 'rattle' once, but it hasn't reared its ugly head since, though I'm convinced I can hear a slight metallic whirring sound for the first few minutes after start-up. I'm keeping my ear on it and have flagged it up to the dealer in case it gets any worse.

The Dogfather
8th February 2010, 11:37 AM
Mine does it all the time, can't be bothered to take it in, I'll wait for it to blow up and get a new engine at the same time ;)

Delboy
8th February 2010, 12:55 PM
My car has been fine since the fix was carried out as per the first post of this thread :thumbs up:.

KenL
9th February 2010, 02:34 PM
Mine too has been perfect since the fix last May.

rabhrab
14th February 2011, 02:13 PM
My 08 Clubman S is making this rattle also. Can I ask, is this "tensioner fix" done under warranty? If not, can someone tell me what kind of cost am I looking at? Thanks!:thumbs up:

Craig
14th February 2011, 03:44 PM
My 08 Clubman S is making this rattle also. Can I ask, is this "tensioner fix" done under warranty? If not, can someone tell me what kind of cost am I looking at? Thanks!:thumbs up:

It "should" be covered but I've been caught out before. Best to make a wee phone call to the dealer to check ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCA3N
14th February 2011, 03:54 PM

in a word yes I had it done on my 2008 MCS.

KenL
15th February 2011, 02:50 PM

Yes, it is a warranty repair.

I have had two tensioners replaced and also the full fix with new chain, guides etc. Car has been perfect since this was done about last October.

I suggest that you take a short video clip of this happening with your car to show to the dealer. This is to prevent the possibility of it going in and them not hearing it and therefore not fixing it.

I would also ask for the full repair to be done if possible. If they just replace the tensioner, my experience and that of others is that it may well return.

rabhrab
15th February 2011, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by rabhrab
My 08 Clubman S is making this rattle also. Can I ask, is this "tensioner fix" done under warranty? If not, can someone tell me what kind of cost am I looking at? Thanks!

Thanks for the advice guys. My date of first registration is 21/03/2008, so I guess I should get a move on with this?

Craig
15th February 2011, 04:16 PM
Oh yes;)

rabhrab
15th February 2011, 05:28 PM

I've just contacted Menzies in Stirling, who want the car in the night before so the engine will be cold for them to listen to the next morning. When I said to the person on the 'service' desk that I understood this was a recognised fault their reply was less than encouraging. They said it as not always a timing chain issue and that it may be to do with the oil supply. Any comments or suggestions as to how to encourage them to give me the full fix?

AeroJonny
15th February 2011, 05:35 PM
Prob best to take it to another garage...

ELFMAN
15th February 2011, 05:52 PM
Douglas Park in Hamilton fitted a new Tensioner to mine last year after I had experienced the 'Tappety' cold start sound a few times. No arguments/queries and it hasn't come back since. I had to leave mine overnight too, but it seems to have done the trick.

I think MINI should carry out the tensioner fix as a matter of course, as it is so well-known. MINI's supposed to be a 'Premium' product (we pay premium prices), so you shouldn't have to be arguing the toss about stuff like this. I'd give it to Menzies and see what they say - but if they say nothing's wrong, I'd point out again that it's certainly a 'Recognised' fault - MINi are now at something like 'Version 4' or 5 of the fix! I actually had the official MINI Code for the fault/fix which I found out from trawling the Internet (I've lost it now...), but when I showed it to Douglas Park, they told me that there was an even later one available!

Anyway, why would they think you were bringing the car in if there was nothing wrong with it - you've got better things to be doing with your time!

Craig
15th February 2011, 06:18 PM
I've just contacted Menzies in Stirling, . Any comments or suggestions as to how to encourge them to give me the full fix?

I could make a few, however legally I'm unable to... :rolleyes: ;)

rabhrab
15th February 2011, 07:00 PM
Douglas Park in Hamilton fitted a new Tensioner to mine last year after I had experienced the 'Tappety' cold start sound a few times. No arguments/queries and it hasn't come back since. I had to leave mine overnight too, but it seems to have done the trick. B]

Thanks again.
ELFMAN, I take it you had the 'full' fix done and not just the partial fix that has been reported n here as only temporary?
Craig, joking apart, what approach do you recommend I take with them?;)

The Dogfather
15th February 2011, 07:15 PM
I've had the latest and greatest fix but my car still makes that noise when cold, only difference is its quieter

Scottie
15th February 2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks again.
ELFMAN, I take it you had the 'full' fix done and not just the partial fix that has been reported n here as only temporary?

I would recommend taking the car to another garage.

Craig
15th February 2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks again.

Let's just say if it was my car I would go elsewhere.. And I invariably did. I went to Dundee, Perth, Edinburgh & Giffnock rather than go there for warranty repairs if that helps ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianking
16th February 2011, 09:19 AM
I had mine done on the works at Eastern. When I went in to see them about it as soon as I mentioned it to the service man he knew straight away and said that it was a recognised fault. I havent had the fault come back.

ELFMAN
16th February 2011, 04:06 PM

Now there's a question - I just got the latest 'Fix' at the time, which was replacing the Tensioner, and the noise has been absent since. I'm therefore not aware of the 'Full' and 'Partial' fix... scenarios. Can anybody enlighten me?

KenL
16th February 2011, 04:15 PM
Now there's a question - I just got the latest 'Fix' at the time, which was replacing the Tensioner, and the noise has been absent since. I'm therefore not aware of the 'Full' and 'Partial' fix... scenarios. Can anybody enlighten me?

Hi Elfman,

I had the tensioner replaced in June 2009. Car was fine for about 1 year. The tensioner was again replaced in August 2010 as the noise occurred again a couple of times. Within two weeks I heard it again.

I put it back into Vardy and they had it for 4 days. I gave them a video clip and pointed them to some websites detailing the "full fix". See here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/01/15/mini-solves-the-cold-start-problem-again/

Since this full fix was implemented (new chain and other parts replaced) it has not returned, fingers crossed!

ELFMAN
16th February 2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks Ken! I'd need to check with Douglas Park to make sure it was just the Tensioner which was changed. Anyway, it seems OK now, so I'll just let it go and if it rears its ugly head again, I'll take it back in. DP MINI have always been fine with me and I've had no real 'issues' with the service I've received since 2001, so I'm pretty certain they'd sort it out. Great to have Faith eh? (that's the Kiss of Death...)

rabhrab
21st February 2011, 08:53 PM
My 08 Clubman S is making this rattle also. Can I ask, is this "tensioner fix" done under warranty? If not, can someone tell me what kind of cost am I looking at? Thanks!

Well, Menzies had the car overnight and guess what? No excessive noise on start-up. They say that they checked the chain and tensioner and that the play in the chain is within limits. If so, this is the first morning for a while that the car behaved itself! I know, I should have taken your advice and made a recording of the racket BEFORE taking the car in to them. I now will have my camera with me in the mornings, ready to record the 'can of nuts' noise. Then I will get back to them. Watch this space for an update, as and when I get anywhere.,

GCA3N
21st February 2011, 09:31 PM
This sounds like a load of crap mate, they know that this is a known fix, damn they're on the 5th attempt at it now. Tell them you will take it to mini if they don't replace it with the latest "so called" fix. Did they think you just brought it in for a laugh.:ragin:

GP BILLY
21st February 2011, 11:31 PM
My clubby is in Harry fairbairns getting this done, get it back tomorrow
If all goes well.

GCA3N
22nd February 2011, 12:29 AM
My clubby is in Harry fairbairns getting this done, get it back tomorrow
If all goes well.

They did mine on my cooper s mate and it was spot on pal.

kerrbryan
22nd February 2011, 01:06 AM
Mmm..interesting reading guys.

I had a cold start diesel noise this morning. Had the car for about 5-6 weeks now and its only done 23k but on a 57 plate so just outwith warranty. Any thoughts on cost or goodwill from MINI. Harry fairbairn, Irvine is my local garage, whos the best guy to speak to that wont fob me off of talk sh**e to me?

Cheers

GP BILLY
22nd February 2011, 09:01 AM

I had a cold start diesel noise this morning. Had the car for about 5-6 weeks now and its only done 23k but on a 57 plate so just outwith warranty. Any thoughts on cost or goodwill from MINI. Harry fairbairn, Irvine is my local garage, whos the best guy to speak to that wont fob me off of talk sh**e to me?

Cheers

If you get no joy from Harry's, I have a very good MINI mechanic (he does the work on my GP) and he is
no where near BMW MINI prices.
P.M. me if you want his phone number:thumbs up:

GCA3N
22nd February 2011, 09:22 AM

Cheers

Go in a speak to Alan in the mini side tell him Greig from Arran says hello. The manager is jim nice guy I am sure he'll sort you out. They know this is a known fault it won't or atleast shouldn't matter If your car is under warranty or not.

ELFMAN
22nd February 2011, 11:21 AM
Ditto what Greig said. As it's a recognised problem, I think they should look favourably on anything like this, just out of Warranty or not.

23K and 3 years shouldn't be giving you ANY cause for concern, as you've bought a "Quality" product in good faith.

N16SHP
22nd February 2011, 11:34 AM
Kirsten's is in JC's today getting her's done. They fixed mine, after a bit of back and forth, but hopefully they get her's done first time!

rabhrab
22nd February 2011, 01:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAAbls5LiVY

Started her up this morning and videoed the 'can of nuts'. Went straight in to Menzies and they, without hesitation, booked me in for next Tuesday to get this done, so hopefully I'll have some good things to say about Menzies later on next week. Thanks again for all the advice, much appreciated!:thumbs up:

ELFMAN
22nd February 2011, 02:57 PM
It's the new 'MINI/Ferguson' Tractor! Hope they nail it first time.

GCA3N
22nd February 2011, 03:20 PM
well that's evidence if ever there was.

rabhrab
22nd February 2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah, and they said it wasn't making that noise yesterday................ right!

Colin
22nd February 2011, 03:41 PM
Thats the first time I've heard the cold start rattle. Man its loud! Sounds like a rough diesel.

rabhrab
22nd February 2011, 03:56 PM
Hi Colin, if you listen carefully in the mornings you should hear me as I'm in Alloa!!!!!

ELFMAN
22nd February 2011, 05:10 PM
Hi Colin, if you listen carefully in the mornings you should hear me as I'm in Alloa!!!!!

I could hear it in Larkhall!

Gismo
22nd February 2011, 05:41 PM
Wow, first time i've heard it, that's so obvious

gauldrymini
22nd February 2011, 08:40 PM
That sound awful, hope the good people at MINI can fix it for you...

KenL
22nd February 2011, 09:44 PM
That Is bad.

On mine, you only heard it when you revved the engine between 1.5k and 3k revs.

Please let us know how you get on.

kerrbryan
23rd February 2011, 02:58 PM
Ohh...mines wasnt that bad and hasnt happened since Monday morning. Hopefully going to go in to HF at the weekend and see what they say.

rabhrab
1st March 2011, 05:55 PM
:D Well folks, I've been fixed! :D

The car went into Menzies at 8.30am this morning for the 'full fix', i.e. tensioner, chain, pulleys, etc., and I got it back at 2.00pm this afternoon, complete with wash and brushup!
So I have to give Menzies of Stirling a big :thumbs up: for now.

Hopefully that's the end of the 'death rattle' embarassing noise!

Colin
1st March 2011, 09:32 PM
Glad you got it sorted. Hopefully it will stay silent.