PDA

View Full Version : tyres prices

jaffamaster
28th October 2009, 03:00 PM
Hello - my 53plate Cooper S is in need of some new slippers for her feet, any advice on which brands, prices etc to use, been quoted 150 each from Phoenix Kirkcaldy plus 90 balance alignment:sad: She's in there at the moment getting a 36,000mls service, and an extra £75 to change the brake fluid:frown:

Are there optioninal tyres outwith the runflats to use?

Thanks inadvance...

Nick

Forbes
28th October 2009, 03:14 PM
Hello - my 53plate Cooper S... She's in there at the moment getting a 36,000mls service

Say what! Your car barely has any miles for its age:cool:

Think dealers prefer fitting runflats, not sure if you have a option if the dealer does it? David at JC could tell you.

Most people on here are running normal tyres especially the Toyo Proxies

ianking
28th October 2009, 03:17 PM
I have 2 x Dunlop 17inch runflats for sale if you are interested.
They were on the rear of my car for about 8k and have 7mm all the way over if not slightly more. Excellent condition.

Would you be interested?

jaffamaster
28th October 2009, 03:17 PM
Say what! Your car barely has any miles for its age:cool: Bought it about 18mths ago with only 17,000

Think dealers prefer fitting runflats, not sure if you have a option if the dealer does it? David at JC could tell you.

Most people on here are running normal tyres especially the Toyo ProxiesDo you know where i can find more info on these types?

Forbes
28th October 2009, 03:22 PM
That is really low mileage when you bought it, was it a Grannies weekly shopping car?

Well I have previously had 205/45/17 Toyo proxies, not that I have lowered the car I have 205/40/17. You will find the 205/45 is the most commonly used size on the 17s although other do use 215/40 aswell. Best bet for them at the moment is Camskill (or something like that. I used Toyo Proxie T1R for nearly 18months and couldn't fault them. Depends how much you have to spend. But 4 new normal tyres will be cheaper than 4 runflats

jaffamaster
28th October 2009, 03:34 PM
That is really low mileage when you bought it, was it a Grannies weekly shopping car?

Well I have previously had 205/45/17 Toyo proxies, not that I have lowered the car I have 205/40/17. You will find the 205/45 is the most commonly used size on the 17s although other do use 215/40 aswell. Best bet for them at the moment is Camskill (or something like that. I used Toyo Proxie T1R for nearly 18months and couldn't fault them. Depends how much you have to spend. But 4 new normal tyres will be cheaper than 4 runflats

Couples 2nd car, she worked in the local hospital and did a few miles per week back and forth!!

jaffamaster
28th October 2009, 03:43 PM
Couples 2nd car, she worked in the local hospital and did a few miles per week back and forth!!

Is this them here[/URL][url]http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s13p1680] (http://camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b0s13p1680)

Are there any issues getting them fitted with the runflat system?

Forbes
28th October 2009, 03:52 PM
Yeah, is your car lowered or planning on lowering? If so get the 205/40 if not the 205/45 is probably better suited to your car.

I haven't had a single issue with them fitted to my car (2004 Cooper), there is no spare so that might cause problems if you have a puncture, but I carry 2tins of tyre weld with me at all times.

The Dogfather
28th October 2009, 05:57 PM
Wouldn't touch the proxies with a barge pole

GCA3N
28th October 2009, 06:30 PM
Wouldn't touch the proxies with a barge pole

I've run these before and loved them, why would you think otherwise?

The Dogfather
28th October 2009, 06:46 PM
The wet grip falls away quickly compared to brands

KenL
28th October 2009, 09:14 PM
I have 2 x Dunlop 17inch runflats for sale if you are interested.
They were on the rear of my car for about 8k and have 7mm all the way over if not slightly more. Excellent condition.

Would you be interested?

Are they the latest gen II runflats that come on R56 cars? Dunlop sport 01 or something.

I might be at the right price!

Please PM me ;)

Big Gordy
28th October 2009, 09:19 PM
Your best bet for info on tyres is a site like blackcircle:Whistle: They have reports on most well known brands:thumbs up: There is no runflat system as such its just the runflats have VERY hard sidewalls to hold them up when you have a puncture:idea: You should be able to pick up a set of 4 normal tyres for the same price as 2 runflats:yes nod:

Forbes
28th October 2009, 11:28 PM
Got to say Paul I really couldn't complain on my Proxies ever, rain dry or icey. Felt really steady at all times. Maybe it is just your driving style:p

leighj
1st November 2009, 02:29 PM
iv always used vredestein tyres and theyre good

MrMischief
1st November 2009, 02:50 PM
We've got T1R Proxies on our S too - never had a problem with them in any condition - wet weather is better than the Pirelli Euphoria run-flats.

Try Hectyre (http://www.hectyre.co.uk/) in Dundee for a quote :thumbs up:

Ours is an 03 plate and has covered 37k I think, nice to be in the low mileage club :D

The Dogfather
1st November 2009, 04:50 PM
Got to say Paul I really couldn't complain on my Proxies ever, rain dry or icey. Felt really steady at all times. Maybe it is just your driving style:p

I do drive quick, which is why I'm very selective about the tyres I use. I always fit the best tyre available for all round use. In summer that's the Uniroyal Rainsport 2s and in winter then proper winter tyres like the Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds.

The Conti 2 I have on my TT (standard tyres from new) are also quite good but they do tend to aquaplane easier than the Rainsports.

If you think Proxies are good then the Uniroyals will amaze you.

Sheilz
1st November 2009, 07:17 PM
iv always used vredestein tyres and theyre good

I liked what I've read about these but never met anyone who can personally vouch for them. Do you use the runflat or normal ones and 16's or 17's?

Sheilz
1st November 2009, 07:21 PM
Dunlop Wintersport 3Ds.

How are you finding these tyres Paul? I've had a squint on the dunlop website reading the blurb on the technology behind these - reads very impressive. I couldn't see any price for them though neither do they seem to be available to fit my wheels, or perhaps I could put on another size other than 205 45 17? Is that possible on the pace alloys?

Craig
1st November 2009, 07:25 PM
How are you finding these tyres Paul? I've had a squint on the dunlop website reading the blurb on the technology behind these - reads very impressive. I couldn't see any price for them though neither do they seem to be available to fit my wheels, or perhaps I could put on another size other than 205 45 17? Is that possible on the pace alloys?

sheilz,

the choice for that tyre size is very limited. I fitted 215/45/17 tyres to my s spokes for winter and they fit fine. I bought Nokian WRG2's from mytyres for £103 per corner. The car is a big more lively with them on, but it's been really warm for the time of year since I have put them on, so not sure I'm getting the best out of them yet... ;)

KenL
1st November 2009, 08:34 PM
sheilz,
The car is a big more lively with them on, but it's been really warm for the time of year since I have put them on, so not sure I'm getting the best out of them yet... ;)

Whatever tyre you have, will they not be at their best in warmer weather?

I am thinking that all rubber will soften as they warm up, even winter ones, so should be better in warmer weather.

The Dogfather
1st November 2009, 08:51 PM
Not quite, winter tyres go off at higher temps. At higher temps in the dry the tread becomes too flexible and they go a bit squishy, well mine have. Its weird, when you first set out they seem fine but after 10 miles or so they seem to go off.

However in the wet they seem fine and they have very progressive limit so they you get plenty of notice when they are slipping. Mind you the weather is going to stay cold for a while so they should be in their element.

Sheilz
1st November 2009, 10:43 PM
If the weather continues as it is albeit a bit colder would Rainsports not be one of the best choices for a winter tyre? Can't make up my mind :rolleyes:

The Dogfather
2nd November 2009, 02:52 AM
Sheilz, it'll be cold enough for winter tyres from next weekend onwards.

Uniroyals are the best summer tyre I've tried, and I tried lots, but they won't work in snow.

The Nokians that Craig has are probably the best all round tyre available for this country.

jaffamaster
2nd November 2009, 07:04 PM
We've got T1R Proxies on our S too - never had a problem with them in any condition - wet weather is better than the Pirelli Euphoria run-flats.

Try Hectyre (http://www.hectyre.co.uk/) in Dundee for a quote :thumbs up:

Ours is an 03 plate and has covered 37k I think, nice to be in the low mileage club :D

Thanks for the links, will have a look later on tonight.

Will need to post a picture, could be twins:lol:

KenL
2nd November 2009, 07:23 PM
Not quite, winter tyres go off at higher temps. At higher temps in the dry the tread becomes too flexible and they go a bit squishy, well mine have. Its weird, when you first set out they seem fine but after 10 miles or so they seem to go off.

However in the wet they seem fine and they have very progressive limit so they you get plenty of notice when they are slipping. Mind you the weather is going to stay cold for a while so they should be in their element.

leighj
8th November 2009, 09:38 PM
I liked what I've read about these but never met anyone who can personally vouch for them. Do you use the runflat or normal ones and 16's or 17's?

i dont use runflats, but i've only used them on 15s as my 17s came with other tyres, so just waiting on them to get low to put the vreds on but i'll be changing to my winter tyres soon anyway, so wont know what they're like with 17s til next year.
my uncle own a tyre garage and has always recommended vredesteins

The Dogfather
8th November 2009, 10:13 PM
Well today was a weird one, I was on the Whitby run today and the temperature was up and down. The Dunlop winter tyres gripped well when it was wet but slid when it was dry.

Craig, I don't remember getting this level of variability from the Nokians, I think you got the tyre that suits our climate the best.

Livi
8th November 2009, 10:24 PM
David at JC could tell you.

We fit on the car what the computer tells us is right for the car.

Other than that, if you prefer a certain tyre, you can request to have it, run flat or not. :thumbs up:

Craig
9th November 2009, 08:47 AM
Well today was a weird one, I was on the Whitby run today and the temperature was up and down. The Dunlop winter tyres gripped well when it was wet but slid when it was dry.

Craig, I don't remember getting this level of variability from the Nokians, I think you got the tyre that suits our climate the best.

I was just saying to AndyP that the run down to York and back made me glad i went for those tyres.. the torrential rain and cold weather really showed them working well :yes nod: Not noticed them sliding in the dry, but been scrubbing them in, however after my 500 miles this weekend, we shall be giving it a bit more beans in the corners. :D

really pleased with my purchase. :thumbs up:

hippytyre
11th November 2009, 07:29 PM
If the temperature falls below 7c then winter tyres come into play. Winter tyres contain more natural rubber and silca and don't harden up in the cold like regular tyres which allows them to key into the roads surface.
Vredestein are unheard of by most but they really do make great tyres. They also win awards every year for their winter tyres.
My mother has a 2008 Cooper on 15"'s with the original Michelin's and they seem to grip like hell, although she hasn't let me loose in it yet :Whistle:

First post btw, I only signed up because I noticed the link pointing to my website from this thread.

jaffamaster
8th December 2009, 03:40 PM
Finally bought the bullitt and purchase some new rubber.

Full set of Pirelli runflats for 480 and my local Hi Q - shopped around, this was about the best I could find fitted etc. Much better than Phenoix Kirkcaldy @ over 600:frown:

Still a rediculous price IMHO for tyres:moonie:

L13ARG
9th December 2009, 08:41 AM
£120 a tyre does sound about right (you didnt get ripped off anyway)