PDA

View Full Version : Playmini exhaust knocking

Ally S
21st October 2009, 09:07 AM
Hi,

The backbox looks to be fitted fine however the lips on the metal hangers are knocking against the mounts - quite annoying.

At rest there is a slight gap between the lip and the mount - is there meant to be a rubber spacer or something?

Anyone got any ideas?

Craig
21st October 2009, 10:07 AM
hmm, strange one.... the mounts on the car are rubber and the metal mounts go into the rubber mounts so unsure how they can be knocking :confused:

could you take a photo? maybe it hasn't been fitted right, cos I don't know anyone with a playmini that has had this problem...

john
21st October 2009, 10:17 AM
Is it a Cooper? or an 's'?

If its a cooper then its possible that the rear hanger is the wron way round, there is a very very slightdiffernce bu its enoughttocause it to knock;)

GCA3N
21st October 2009, 10:19 AM
hmm, strange one.... the mounts on the car are rubber and the metal mounts go into the rubber mounts so unsure how they can be knocking :confused:

could you take a photo? maybe it hasn't been fitted right, cos I don't know anyone with a playmini that has had this problem...

I know it was'nt a play mini, but when I got that custom stainless done on my R50 I had a wee knock when I drove it a while, turned out the bracket was heating up and expanded slightly this caused it to knock against the heat shield.

Craig
21st October 2009, 10:20 AM
I left the hanger on the car as it came off the car, so unless the hanger was taken off and re-fitted it should have been the right way round... ;)

Ally S
21st October 2009, 10:35 AM
Cheers for the replies.

Its a Cooper.

Yeah, pretty sure the hangar is the correct way around - Bolt towards the centre.

Although the middle bit of mounts are rubber the hanger is knocking off the outer bits which are metal. It seems to sit quite high up i.e. very close to the underside of the car. It is sitting in the mounts correctly though.

I'll see if I can get a pic. Is there a reference pic somewhere I could compare against?

Burple
21st October 2009, 11:07 AM
Is it an older Exhaust that you've had off someone else, or a brand new one?
Reason I ask is that when Zimbo fitted his first Playmini to his first Cooper, we had to space the back box down a a bit with a couple of washers under the mount cos it sat too high at the tailpipe and in the end melted the black plastic bumper trim...

The newer ones had this problem sorted..

The rubber mounts should be tight enough not to move around..

Ally S
21st October 2009, 11:35 AM
Is it an older Exhaust that you've had off someone else, or a brand new one?
Reason I ask is that when Zimbo fitted his first Playmini to his first Cooper, we had to space the back box down a a bit with a couple of washers under the mount cos it sat too high at the tailpipe and in the end melted the black plastic bumper trim...

The newer ones had this problem sorted..

The rubber mounts should be tight enough not to move around..

Yeah, its Craigs old one. The pipe itself sites perfectly with a reasonable gap between it and the black trim.

I though about spacing it down a bit but it would probably still knock against the metal part of the mount.

Ally S
21st October 2009, 12:48 PM
Does this look right?

http://www.asta.org.uk/car/pm.jpg

GCA3N
21st October 2009, 01:58 PM
Are you sure the heat shield isn't knocking against the bracket. Looks quite close. Check there is no scratches on it indicating it's being hit. (remember it will expand when it gets hot)
otherwise it looks spot on IMO

rpn
21st October 2009, 04:57 PM
Does this look right?

That's exactly the same as my Cooper's PlayMini. (Just took a foto of it) Should be another hanger on the other side too!

Ally S
21st October 2009, 05:26 PM
Are you sure the heat shield isn't knocking against the bracket. Looks quite close. Check there is no scratches on it indicating it's being hit. (remember it will expand when it gets hot)
otherwise it looks spot on IMO

You can just see in the picture that the orange paint has been rubbed off on the mount.

It is very close to the heatshield too so it might be hit that too.

Ally S
24th October 2009, 04:08 PM
Spent a good few hours today adjusting the hanger to try and get it in a better position. Managed to get it so that it doesn't hit the mount but its still bouncing off the bumper trim at the sides - its as if its too heavy and swings too much (even with the new mounts). Pretty sure it was doing this before but just didn't realise it was the bumper it was hitting.