PDA

View Full Version : Another Crash!

S111_SOT
19th October 2009, 10:54 AM
:sad: Left for my work this morning and was going to the shop for my paper. Wasnt anymore than 400 yards from my house, i went left round a corner and the back of the car slid out, i steered the opposite direction to correct the skid but the car spun in to the right, i no longer had control and the car went back end first into a metal fence across the other side of the road. There is dent in the back panel where the car hit a fence pole but most damage is at the passenger side rear wheel as the wheel was sitting horizontaly, it popped back up into position as it was lifted onto the truck but is all twisted and that underneath. The car is away to perth this morning and my step dad is away to pick up a courtesy car the now. courtesy car is no good to me though as i cant drive it because im not 18. Hopefully the car is fixable and not a write off as i love my wee car. If it is however i will be acquiring another mini, but in the meantime fingers crossed guys.:sad::sad::sad:

Gismo
19th October 2009, 10:59 AM
Aw man, gutted for ya :sad:

Craig
19th October 2009, 11:35 AM
aw feck... not good young un... :frown::frown: Fingers crossed it gets sorted OK. :thumbs up:

S111_SOT
19th October 2009, 11:42 AM
Aw man, gutted for ya :sad:

aw feck... not good young un... :frown::frown: Fingers crossed it gets sorted OK. :thumbs up:

everything is crossed for my wee PS :sad:

just got a call saying tht it arrived at perth and the estimator is coming tommorow to have a look at it.

Forbes
19th October 2009, 11:55 AM
Never good. Is it going through insurance? Maybe ask if you can get the upgrades done while it is being fixed. You just pay the extra. Worth a shot if you are planning them anyway.

S111_SOT
19th October 2009, 12:01 PM
Never good. Is it going through insurance? Maybe ask if you can get the upgrades done while it is being fixed. You just pay the extra. Worth a shot if you are planning them anyway.

yes gonna have to go the insurance route. im only worried the now about getting the car fixed ben.

Delboy
19th October 2009, 12:15 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident - what a bummer :frown:. Glad you're ok and hopefully your car will get repaired quickly.

Stewart
19th October 2009, 12:52 PM
Hope you get the wee car back fixed soon.

Sorry to read that there.:frown:

GCA3N
19th October 2009, 01:02 PM
Gutted for you mate, but beggers the question how did the back step out. I drive like any normal person day to day:Whistle: but have been known to give it a wee bit now and then :blush:and I have never had the back step out, this is actually really hard to do. was the road really wet or possibly a tyre issue or were we giving it a little too much:hand:. Anyway I hope you get things sorted.:thumbs up:

S111_SOT
19th October 2009, 01:41 PM
Gutted for you mate, but beggers the question how did the back step out. I drive like any normal person day to day:Whistle: but have been known to give it a wee bit now and then :blush:and I have never had the back step out, this is actually really hard to do. was the road really wet or possibly a tyre issue or were we giving it a little too much:hand:. Anyway I hope you get things sorted.:thumbs up:

Wasn't giving it a wee bit anything greig, the road was very wet, the roads up here have been very dry for a good few weeks now an since last night we have had heavy rain so roads are extremely slippy the now. :sad:

GCA3N
19th October 2009, 02:43 PM
Wasn't giving it a wee bit anything greig, the road was very wet, the roads up here have been very dry for a good few weeks now an since last night we have had heavy rain so roads are extremely slippy the now. :sad:

I was jesting dude, you have to admit though it is unusual for them to step out like that, like I suggested the road must have been really slippy. Accept my appologies for insinuating otherwise.:lol:

doogz__
19th October 2009, 02:54 PM
I find our cooper s can be particularly willing to hang it's tail out, depending on how it's driven, but if you say you weren't misbehaving in the slightest, and it was unusual behaviour for the car, as well as the bodywork and what-not, have someone that knows what they're doing inspect your suspension before you drive the car again (assuming it gets fixed) just to make sure nothing is loose or snapped. Something like a spring loosing a coil, or an ARB retaining bolt loosening or snapping can often go un-noticed until something like that happens.

Hope it gets sorted out for you.

countdown
19th October 2009, 03:36 PM
Must admit i've never driven a front wheel car quite like it, they do seem a little tail happy at times, always happens when you least expect it as well.

GCA3N
19th October 2009, 04:00 PM
Must admit i've never driven a front wheel car quite like it, they do seem a little tail happy at times, always happens when you least expect it as well.

I presume we are all taking about driving in the wet, in which case yeh it is not that great, but that is probs due to the run flats too. In the dry if you get the tail to step out then you are simply driving far too fast, in fact if the tail steps out at all wet or dry then you could argue you are driving too fast and not suitable for the conditions. :idea:Lecture over.

doogz__
19th October 2009, 04:09 PM
I very much subscribe to the "time and place" attitude of saving fast driving for the track, which is why i have a track/hill car, as well as a comfy mile muncher.

But honestly, you never drive home late at night, roads are empty, you're bored, and have a little bit of fun?

Because if you never ever do, you bought the wrong car, because Mini's are excellent fun!

GCA3N
19th October 2009, 04:25 PM
I very much subscribe to the "time and place" attitude of saving fast driving for the track, which is why i have a track/hill car, as well as a comfy mile muncher.

But honestly, you never drive home late at night, roads are empty, you're bored, and have a little bit of fun?

Because if you never ever do, you bought the wrong car, because Mini's are excellent fun!

There is fun and there is...well being daft, i am not a slow driver but I try and know my limitations and the cars. I have been driving for nearly 20 years and have driven loads of different cars, and I would easily say my R56 S is the best so far when it comes to the ability of giving it a bit of welly. If you want to argue that getting the back end to step out is a sign of having fun then I have no answer, I guess when you have had to pick up body parts off the road after a serious RTA and then tell the parents of a 17 year old that their son is dead kinda changes your perspective on things. I really don't want to lecture(yeh right) but my point is simply that sooner or later if you keep driving like that then you will become a statistic. You can have fun without being a lunatic.

doogz__
19th October 2009, 04:33 PM
Fair enough, you obviously have your reasons, but i have to disagree with:

"sooner or later if you keep driving like that then you will become a statistic."

Phone up Jackie Stewart and tell him that.

And i'm not saying it's all about getting the back end out and a "dab of oppo and i was away" type of thing, however, if you never break traction, i wouldn't necessarily say you were driving especially fast, which like you pointed out, is good, from a safety point of view.

But i'm not very good.

Everybody becomes a "statistic" some time or another

A wise person once said "Eat healthily, don't drink, don't smoke, exercise regularly...you'll still die though."

Scottie
19th October 2009, 04:40 PM
great to see your thread has turned in to a debate on how we think other people should or should not drive in the wet:frown::frown:

rather than sharing with you on just what a bummer it is to crash your car. I wrote of three cars between the age of 17 and 24 great how everyone always assumed it was something I done wrong.

On a positive if it is written off you will have fun finding your new mini hope everything works out to the way you want it to.

doogz__
19th October 2009, 04:48 PM
great to see your thread has turned in to a debate on how we think other people should or should not drive in the wet:frown::frown:

If you read the comments, you'd see that's not really what it was about. My apologies for having a discussion, on a discussion forum.

[QUOTE=Scottie;224255]rather than sharing with you on just what a bummer it is to crash your car. [QUOTE]

I think everybody has?

Scottie
19th October 2009, 04:49 PM
touchy touchy:hand::hand:

S111_SOT
19th October 2009, 04:52 PM
On a positive if it is written off you will have fun finding your new mini hope everything works out to the way you want it to.

yeah hopefully i get my wee PS back soon, i love that wee car. thats now over a grand ive spent gettting it fixed after crashes. its not a lucky car. but i love it.

doogz__
19th October 2009, 04:54 PM
Ha, my double quote failed spectacularly!

Na, not touchy, i just get a bit annoyed by the online attitude of "Speeding is bad, nobody should speed, its silly, save it for the track etc etc"

when everybody does it.

You get it on almost every car forum, and it bugs me the way people get all high and mighty (this isn't aimed at you GCA3N) abotu speeding, when they're just as guilty as everyone else.

Craig
19th October 2009, 05:24 PM

Na, not touchy, i just get a bit annoyed by the online attitude of "Speeding is bad, nobody should speed, its silly, save it for the track etc etc"

when everybody does it.

You get it on almost every car forum, and it bugs me the way people get all high and mighty (this isn't aimed at you GCA3N) abotu speeding, when they're just as guilty as everyone else.

I don't speed.... :thud::Whistle::lol:

it was someone else driving... ;)

rpn
19th October 2009, 05:52 PM
Apologise :smilewinkgrin: can I get this thread back to the original topic. :D

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but grad you're OK and good luck :thumbs up: with either the repairs or the search for a replacement.

GCA3N
19th October 2009, 06:01 PM

when everybody does it.

It's cool. Like you say it's a forum where people can express their views and opinions. I don't take things to heart, love it when a decent debate gets going.
Look at the end of the day age and experience change our opinions without anything else added. It's a fact that as you get older your views will change and i'll be honest I was no angel when i was younger(driving that is) I would however say that I have been caught speeding 3 times in 20 years and with the exception of a head on with a woman driver the month i passed my test, I have been accident free for 19 years (probably element of good fortune too)
Anyway all I have left to say is YOUNG MAN!:lol:

G17RDY
19th October 2009, 07:27 PM
Sorry to hear about that, but i always believe everything happens for a reason, maybe this is a doorway opening up for something a little more exciting.....a cooper perhaps???

All the best, hope it all works out for you.

S111_SOT
19th October 2009, 07:46 PM
maybe even a cooper S haha. i wish.

doogz__
19th October 2009, 09:10 PM
I don't speed.... :thud::Whistle::lol:

it was someone else driving... ;)

It's ok, we were only doing 70.

The speedo in the subaru i was driving said 120km/h :lol:

audrey
19th October 2009, 10:54 PM
Sorry about your wee car you have been working so hard on it too :sad:

Glad you are ok could have been a lot worse hope it can be fixed and you get it back soon :thumbs up:

stoney
20th October 2009, 06:46 PM
thats a shame:frown: never mind car can be fixed / replaced :thumbs up:your life can not so the main thing is your ok !!!

and all i will say is you where going to fast if you lost the back end but i bet you wont do it again:hand:

i have been in meny bumps when i started off driveing :argh:

S111_SOT
21st October 2009, 03:27 PM
BAD NEWS. Cars a write off guys:sad::sad::sad: help to find a cheap mini with a aero kit fitted would be greatly appreciated.

Simon.

stoney
21st October 2009, 03:38 PM
sorry to here that what kind of price you looking at ???

im shure JC's will be happy to help you find one

RyanK
21st October 2009, 04:09 PM
Sorry to hear about this simon! Bad new that its a write off.

What kind of Mini you after next, I will keep a lookout for something for you

S111_SOT
21st October 2009, 04:18 PM
Sorry to hear about this simon! Bad new that its a write off.

What kind of Mini you after next, I will keep a lookout for something for you

i blame your mirror caps ryan, kidding. im gna make sure i get them off the car.

em preferably a one as it will be cheaper on insurance than a cooper but if i could get a cooper cheap enough then id would have it. will find out soon how much im gna get for my one so will wait and see how much i have to play with. id love to get a black one/cooper with the aero kit already fitted.
thinking the now though that i might have to leave the mini scene for a year or something and run a little 106 or something similar the now. if you spot anything though, let me know.. cheers ryan.

Stewart
21st October 2009, 05:29 PM
That’s a crying shame about the car, you had just taken the roof decals off as well.

Did not realise it was such a serious prang. :sad: hope you back in a mini soon.

Craig
21st October 2009, 06:23 PM
bummer Simon... :frown::frown:

hope you get something sorted soon, mind and let us know budget when you work that out and we can all keep an eye out for you. :thumbs up:

Forbes
21st October 2009, 10:16 PM
Never good mate. What did they say was the major factor to calling a write off? Serious damage?

Sheilz
22nd October 2009, 02:28 AM
As tough as it might be for you, its better to pay for your inexperience through your wallet and not your hide. Hope you get something soon though maybe watch that right foot!

When the kids were wee their dad always said that we'd never buy any of our sons (yep sexist) cars. If they wanted a motor then they'd have to work for it and hopefully value them more on the grounds that if they sweated for them they might not be so keen to risk trashing them. Two oldest boys saved up and bought their cars and appear to have got past the reckless years relatively unscathed. Now along comes Nik, spoilt and mollycoddled, esp after his dad died. Manages to wangle money out of his inheritance for a car, paid a ludicrous amount for insurance and lo and behold, within days of his first year of driving, cars just fit for dumping and he's going to pay another small fortune to get his licence back. Might as well have taken five grand and chucked it in the bin. He's looking pretty sorry for himself just now but perhaps next time he might be less of a prat behind the wheel and hey ho live into his old age. One thing for sure the banker is saying NO this time around.

doogz__
22nd October 2009, 08:52 AM
Unlucky mate, not good news.

If you want a car that will lift off oversteer telepathically, get a 106. All you have to do is think about lifting a bit and it's away. Great fun.

If you decide to go for one and need any advice/repairs/parts, i have an unexplainable love for them, give me a shout.

RyanK
22nd October 2009, 09:02 AM
doogz my mate had a 106 gti on r6 throttle boddies and the thing was an absolute brute. Had a quaife lsd, full replacement carbon fibre roof, welded cage, fully stripped, compomotives, tarox fronts and brembo rears & had the power steering removed.

Easily one of the best handling cars I have driven, it also ate up other hot hatches for fun. Was coming out on top against tuned astra vxrs/seat cupras etc.

doogz__
22nd October 2009, 09:24 AM
Sounds awesome, what's his name?

Mine is a S1 rallye with a GTi engine, few minor engine mods, OMP cage, bilstein group N tarmac suspension, All the usual refinements (manual windows, council locking, no power steering, no abs, no interior other than a sparco seat)

It's in a few bits just now though, but one of the next things to get done is the box out, and rebuilt, syncros are a bit tired, and a quiafe, and possibly a different FD, although it's already the s1 rallye box.

RyanK
22nd October 2009, 09:29 AM
His name is Callum, think he is a member of gti-net but not sure. He sold the car early 2009 though as he was running 2 cars in which was costing too much. He never did the car himself. It was bought from a guy down south, numberplate was L44 AXY I think...Supposedly one of the first full carbon roofs done to a 106 by streamline.

Your 106 sounds awesome, love rallye 106's!! Must be a fair weapon

doogz__
22nd October 2009, 09:42 AM
Ah, i think i might know the car you're talking about, Mervin used one to make moulds of parts to make from CF.

Honestly couldn't tell you how much fun it is, because last time i drove it it had standard suspension, that was f*cked, standard brakes, road tyres, as opposed to the cut slicks going on it now, and a knackered rear beam.

Finally got my new workbenches into my garage last night, and scored myself an engine crane, so the proper work starts at the weekend, and it'll be running by spring time, lots of work still needing done!

S111_SOT
24th October 2009, 01:58 PM
had a bit of trouble with insurance the last couple of days guys, firstly they were not going to continue my claim as i added new rear lights and my halo sidelights and also because i had tints that werent factory fitted and had not declared these "MODS!" so had to pay £500 for them just to continue my claim. Next they decided to bump the excess up from £350 to £550. Went up today to see my wee car for the last time and get bits and bobs off it. was an emotional goodbye but the wee car has never been lucky and i suppose fate had something to do with it. I didn't even ask to find out what major damage was caused but from what i could see the passenger side seat airbag had deployed and the back passenger side wheel was almost disconected from the axle or whatever the proper name of that bit is. there was also a dent above the back quarter and the plastic trim above the wheel was hangin off. i only took one picture as was just wanting back home. got 5900 for the car from the insurance company and that is including the excess being paid.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv4/Simon_scott/DSC04439.jpg

GCA3N
24th October 2009, 03:02 PM
had a bit of trouble with insurance the last couple of days guys, firstly they were not going to continue my claim as i added new rear lights and my halo sidelights and also because i had tints that werent factory fitted and had not declared these "MODS!" so had to pay £500 for them just to continue my claim. Next they decided to bump the excess up from £350 to £550. Went up today to see my wee car for the last time and get bits and bobs off it. was an emotional goodbye but the wee car has never been lucky and i suppose fate had something to do with it. I didn't even ask to find out what major damage was caused but from what i could see the passenger side seat airbag had deployed and the back passenger side wheel was almost disconected from the axle or whatever the proper name of that bit is. there was also a dent above the back quarter and the plastic trim above the wheel was hangin off. i only took one picture as was just wanting back home. got 5900 for the car from the insurance company and that is including the excess being paid.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv4/Simon_scott/DSC04439.jpg

ouch!!!

rpn
24th October 2009, 05:38 PM
Glad you got it sorted, Simon.

I can't see what different does the halo sidelight and different rear light make to the car's performance for them to ask for higher excess and extra £500 to continue with the claim! :ragin:

8loody in-sewer-ance :ragin: :ragin:

GCA3N
24th October 2009, 06:58 PM
Glad you got it sorted, Simon.

I can't see what different does the halo sidelight and different rear light make to the car's performance for them to ask for higher excess and extra £500 to continue with the claim! :ragin:

8loody in-sewer-ance :ragin: :ragin:

I think you are lucky to get your insurance. The way companies are nowadays they could easily have told you to take a hike (obviously happy for you they did'nt)
I have spoken about this before, but I changed the wheels on my R56 S and my insurance went form just over £300 to £800. Eventually after getting other more competative quotes I got them down to Around the £450.
Insurance companies nowadays (mostly) will look for any excuse not to pay out so it's always best to be safe. Even adding a Graphic to the car could invalidate your insurance.

audrey
24th October 2009, 11:33 PM
Poor wee mini :frown:

Really feel for you bet you're gutted know I would be at least the insurance paid out hope you get sorted with a new car and are back on the road soon

john
24th October 2009, 11:41 PM
Looking at the photo I would not have claimed that off of the insurance, get secondhand parts and fix it and it would not effect your no claims either.

S111_SOT
25th October 2009, 01:07 AM
Looking at the photo I would not have claimed that off of the insurance, get secondhand parts and fix it and it would not effect your no claims either.

you can see in the pic tht the boot is not in line with the rest of the car. chasis is completely buggered.
whatever the rear wheel is on if its a axle or whatever that is also buggered.
front alloy on the same side was buggered with a bick knock out of it.
passenger side seat/airbag would need replaced as the airbag deployed.

last crash i had was 3500 worth of damage but tht was including a new gear box.

with my wage i couldnt afford to replace and get everything fixed myself.

MiniSnaps
25th October 2009, 03:12 AM
You should see if they'll leave you with the salvage, some nutter on Fleabay would pay good money for that ;)

john
25th October 2009, 11:30 AM
You should see if they'll leave you with the salvage, some nutter on Fleabay would pay good money for that ;)

Are you saying I'm a nutter?:moonie:

See here http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14279

:bigwave:

S111_SOT
25th October 2009, 12:04 PM
See here http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14279 :bigwave:

buy my car and repair it lol? some job u did on that cooper john. well done.

MiniSnaps
25th October 2009, 01:07 PM
Are you saying I'm a nutter?:moonie:

See here http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14279

:bigwave:

Depends what you paid for it :hand:

I've seen Cat Cs do more on Fleabay than you can buy undamaged ones for....