PDA

View Full Version : space saver size

jcbadger
18th October 2009, 08:38 AM
Hi all

Just bought a mini and new to all this. The issue of not having a spare wheel seems to be a bit of a talking point. I need to get one as I commute a fair distance everyday. Besides BMW dealers where else would it be possible to buy a mini space saver wheel? There are plenty on ebay but some of them don't even mention which cars they are for... no help. What size is required and I assume you have to get one which is specifically for the mini so the 4 holes line up with the wheel nut threads or are they generic - ie. a certain size will fit a range of different makes of vehicles.

thanks

GCA3N
18th October 2009, 12:12 PM
Just an idea. I used to use my r50 for long trips and wanted a spare wheel incase I got a flat. Believe it or not if you remove the wheel brace box from the boot and lift up the carpet section as well as remove the parcel shelf you can put an 18" spare wheel in the boot. I done this like I said when driving to Aberdeen and back.

Gismo
18th October 2009, 12:15 PM
I think Duncan Stewart used to carry a full sized spare with him all the time

jcbadger
18th October 2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I believe you can also buy a kit to fit underneath the car (under the boot) to house a space saver wheel (I assume it works then like the spare wheel carrier they used to have on 205 GTIs). Has anyone had experience of this kit?

I'm also building up my knowledge of suppliers of bmw mini parts and accessories so I have an option of not having to go to BMW all the time for parts. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Big Gordy
19th October 2009, 08:28 AM
I have a space saver in the ONE but in nearly 7 years of ownership I've never taken it out:eek: I do check its pressure now and then:Whistle:I know there is an array of plastic handles and what-not in the tray under the boot mat that you use to lower it down from its carraige but I'd need to go and read up on how its removed from the car tho:blush:

P.s....Bear in mind a space saver would only fit under a ONE or COOPER....won't fit under an 'S'

ELFMAN
21st October 2009, 11:55 AM
What tyres are you running?

jcbadger
21st October 2009, 09:59 PM
hi

I have a ONE and running the standard Pirelli 3000 175's all round

Jc

ELFMAN
22nd October 2009, 01:54 PM
JC, is it a new car? I thought the 'Non Run-Flat' equipped MINIS came with a space-saver or at least a 'Tyre Foam' type kit to get you home (unless your sidewall's knackered). Seems a bit shoddy if you didn't get any of these bits of kit.

If it isn't new, did you still buy from a Dealer? If so, I'd be on to them to help you out, as you can't go driving about at the risk of being stuck in the middle of nowhere! One of the reasons I've always stuck with Runflats. Hope you find a solution.

Ally S
22nd October 2009, 08:50 PM
Keep an eye on Ebay - thats where I got mine for just over £20!

They don't come up often but search for Mini Spare wheel - it needs to a genuine Mini BMW one. I think the size is 155 r15

You can get the wheel from Mini dealer but its something like £50 for the wheel and £40 for the tyre.

You can get the kit to attach it to the underside of the car but its not cheap. I just keep the tyre in my garage and carry the foam. If I was to break down near home I would get someone to bring out the wheel to me or something.

jcbadger
22nd October 2009, 09:12 PM
Hi all

Many thanks for your replies. The car is a 2002 model and it does have the mobility kit - glue, electric compressor, etc. There are full size mini wheels on ebay at the moment -I may just have to carry a full size wheel in the back seat - I don't carry passengers during the week's commute

GCA3N
23rd October 2009, 06:09 AM
JC, is it a new car? I thought the 'Non Run-Flat' equipped MINIS came with a space-saver or at least a 'Tyre Foam' type kit to get you home (unless your sidewall's knackered). Seems a bit shoddy if you didn't get any of these bits of kit.

If it isn't new, did you still buy from a Dealer? If so, I'd be on to them to help you out, as you can't go driving about at the risk of being stuck in the middle of nowhere! One of the reasons I've always stuck with Runflats. Hope you find a solution.

I had a kit (foam and compressor) in my R50 cooper but my R56 S has nothing, but then I guess thats what the RF's are for. I thought that all mini's were sold with RF's on.(from new that is)

ELFMAN
23rd October 2009, 01:12 PM
If you carry it 'in the back seat', or anywhere else, make sure it's well secured. If (God forbid) you ever get in a shunt, your 'spare' might take your head off!

GCA3N
23rd October 2009, 01:15 PM
If you carry it 'in the back seat', or anywhere else, make sure it's well secured. If (God forbid) you ever get in a shunt, your 'spare' might take your head off!

When you put them in the boot it is really well secured it's such a tight fit that it can't actually move. Would never recommend putting it in the back seat though, like you say if you were in an accident then you could be seriously injured or worse.

ELFMAN
23rd October 2009, 03:39 PM
When you put them in the boot it is really well secured it's such a tight fit that it can't actually move.

Unless your back seat folds in the impact......:sad: That's why the Rally Guys have them all strapped down. :thumbs up: I'm an old fart, so I think about these things :smilewinkgrin:

All new MINIS with 16's and upwards are on Runflats, so you don't need any spares or foamy stuff etc - just a cushion :blush: for the sometimes 'lumpy' ride. :bigwave:

Duncan Stewart
23rd October 2009, 07:34 PM
I think Duncan Stewart used to carry a full sized spare with him all the time

Used to carry a full size 15" alloy on the back seat of my first Mini Cooper. Did it after a sidewall puncture on a dark, frosty night on a back road that the "gunk" would not seal - scary :sad:
Always had it secured with the seat belt.
On my last two Coopers I have paid for the optional extra Mini space saver spare wheel which is in a cage under the boot floor - you might be able to buy this kit to fit to your Mini

Duncan Stewart
23rd October 2009, 07:36 PM
All new MINIS with 16's and upwards are on Runflats, so you don't need any spares or foamy stuff etc - just a cushion :blush: for the sometimes 'lumpy' ride. :bigwave:

Run flats on New Minis are now a optional extra :D

GCA3N
24th October 2009, 06:10 AM

I never new that, but I can believe BMW making another optional extra.

Big Gordy
24th October 2009, 08:28 AM
Would none of the guys in our racing fratenity not be able to point you in the direction of a breakers that may have all the gubbins to fit the space saver under the boot:confused: Just a thought:Whistle:

jcbadger
24th October 2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the good advice. I live in the Aberdeen area so the biggest breaker around these parts are Overton Dismantlers. They seem to have quite a few mini wheels in stock.

ta

ELFMAN
24th October 2009, 12:50 PM

You learn something every day!:D. So if you buy a new R56 S it comes with bog standard 15" non-runflats unless you specify otherwise?:confused: Or do they do 16" non-runflats now?:argh:

Duncan Stewart
24th October 2009, 10:44 PM
You learn something every day!:D. So if you buy a new R56 S it comes with bog standard 15" non-runflats unless you specify otherwise?:confused: Or do they do 16" non-runflats now?:argh:

Runflats seem to be a £75 extra on all models (except JCW where standard), all wheel sizes.
A new Cooper S comes as standard with 16" non-runflats

john
24th October 2009, 11:24 PM
Given that the dealers frown apon non-runflat tyres being fitted on rims that had runflats it will be interesting to see if the wheels are any different depending on the tyres you opt for.

Back on topic.........

The space saver fitted to a Honda Civic (4 stud model) fits a MINI ;)

ELFMAN
26th October 2009, 02:12 PM
A new Cooper S comes as standard with 16" non-runflats

Now THAT explains why all the Road Testers say the smaller - ie 16" wheeled, R56 Cooper S rides etc SO much better than the big wheeled ones. It doesn't have sidewalls made of CONCRETE! :clap: 16" Runflats are better than 17" ones, so the 16" non-runflat must be like a Magic Carpet in comparison.