PDA

View Full Version : Noise from Engine

Craig
17th October 2009, 07:09 PM
Well went out tonight to go to the shops and the undernoted is the noise coming from my car. This has now happened 3 times in the last 4 weeks. The noise just disappears on it's own and has last 20 secs and also over 30 mins... :rolleyes::argh::argh::ragin:

Not sure what is causing it, but I think I need to get it in to get checked out. :frown: Anyone any ideas what it could be ?

W6yNb2wfGi8

Scottie
17th October 2009, 07:11 PM
sounds like they fitted an early R56 throttle body when it was in at the workshop:p:p;);)

Craig
17th October 2009, 07:14 PM
sounds like they fitted an early R56 throttle body when it was in at the workshop:p:p;);)

only sensible answers please... :argh::rolleyes::argh::moonie:

minimad
18th October 2009, 01:19 AM
hi craig that sounds like the problem i had. check to see if the tapping noise is coming from the left hand side of the intercooler if so switch engine off and check what nick the tensioner belt's in, located just below the intercooler on the left hand side.i had to get mine replaced about a fortnight ago new belt fitted,problem solved and car running so much sweeter now. all the best:thumbs up:

Craig
18th October 2009, 08:36 AM
Cheers Tony. Car is still under warranty and there are a couple of other issues, so will prob just get it checked in soon to get sorted. :thumbs up:

Thanks for your help :yes nod:

Crombers
18th October 2009, 05:12 PM
Turn up your wireless :shut up: :rolleyes:

Crombers
18th October 2009, 05:13 PM
and there are a couple of other issues

Here we go again :thud:

bry_mini
19th March 2010, 09:02 PM
my car started making this noise today! from the left side of engine, loud taping noise like this!

did you get it fixed??? what was the problem?

SimonC
20th March 2010, 02:25 AM
I had this problem.. Sounds abit like a tractor doesnt it?

BTW... I also very pissed due to bevy so if my typing is crap, I am sorry. Altought I think I am doing a splendid job at the moment.

As for the fix?> I added Oil and the sound has gone away... Have you checked our Oil? I am off to bed to die tomorrow morning. I ;; just check this tomorrow.

Simon signing out.

bry_mini
20th March 2010, 09:52 AM
lol!!!!!!!!
yeah oil is fine, jst got a wee top up last week!

started the car 1st thing this mornin and the sound came on after about 20secs, sounds so bad, hopin it could be the belt as said above and not anything serious!
gona take it down to my local garage about midday, hope its safe to drive :(

Craig
20th March 2010, 10:32 AM
I found out what this was, forgot to report back :blush:

Mr Noble diagnosed it when my car was up at Minimax HQ a few weeks back. It is the timing chain tensioner. It is a small part that keeps tension in the chain and is ratchet based with oil that runs thro the middle. The tensioner is getting stuck and not pushing against the chain causing it to rattle or slap. when you rev the engine it will go away as the extra oil being pushed thro pushes the tensioner out against the chain. So in short it shouldn't be doing any damage, but I would get it changed. I am going to get this done when my car is in for it's MOT in July as it has been in twice at Eastern and they failed to fix it despite me telling them EXACTLY what needed replaced... :frown: They told me the car needed oil the last time !!!!

bry_mini
20th March 2010, 10:37 AM
cheers!!! it sounds exactly like that!! any idea what cost is involved in fixing this?

Craig
20th March 2010, 10:39 AM
cheers!!! it sounds exactly like that!! any idea what cost is involved in fixing this?

I know the part is only about £30 but I don't know how much it will cost to replace... It all depends how much it is "buried" in the car :lol: A local garage will be able to do it no probs, maybe ask them for a quote... ;)

bry_mini
20th March 2010, 11:42 AM
thanks! :thumbs up:

bry_mini
21st March 2010, 06:30 PM
hmmm...noise has went away today lol!

Livi
31st March 2010, 09:13 PM
Craig,

How did you get on with service today? i know you need to come back, plus i know its also a good drive for you to come visit.

Was good seeing you the day though! :thumbs up:

Craig
31st March 2010, 10:19 PM
I must say I was treated VERY well today by JC's at Dundee ;). They diagnosed the problem as I said and are ordering the parts;). The car should be sorted before the trip to Oxford :thumbs up:

I can't say enough about the way I was dealt with and it was good to see you David ;)