PDA

View Full Version : Noise when moving slowly

Craig
12th October 2009, 05:22 PM
right, needing some help diagnosing a fault on the car.. Don't want to have to put the car in at the moment as I have tooooo much on my plate and can't deal with the hassle of going to edin/glas or Dundee. :rolleyes:

When pulling away or manouvering at slow speed whilst turning the steering wheel, I get a rubbing noise from the wheels. (I know the wheels aren't rubbing on the arches). So is it possible I have a dry joint or could it be something with the driveshafts ?

The problem has only been evident since the car came back from getting it's new clutch and gearbox. it was very quiet at first but is getting louder every day. Could they have not put something back right?

The reason for asking the questions is I would rather wait a couple of weeks when I will have time to deal with this, but if one of my wheels is going to fall off or I am going to cause more damage to the car, then I'll just have to deal with it.:rolleyes:;)

Any advice welcome. :thumbs up:

GCA3N
12th October 2009, 08:10 PM
gutted for you mate, you have no luck with yer cars.

bry_mini
29th October 2009, 10:10 PM
Im sure i have this problem to!

any news???

Craig
29th October 2009, 10:20 PM
not yet Bry. phoned on 26th to book the car in and the earliest they can take it with a "hire" car is 18th Nov and this is one of the things they are investigating.. ;)

binnie
29th October 2009, 11:20 PM
try firing a bit of WD40 or silicon spray, or dash dressing etc, on the CV boots, i've had this a few times on a few different marques, when you put a bit of lock on the CV boot can rub against itself, causing a dry rubbing noise, or sometimes a creak.

dinnae get it on the brakes tho! :Whistle::popcorn:

cheers

Binnie

john
30th October 2009, 09:27 AM
My JCW has a noise too, I complained when I bought the car and the said it was the Tyres moving on the rims and its not a warranty issue:ragin:

It never got any worse and I now have new tyres and the noise is still there, I suspect its to do with having an LSD I cant hear the noise when driving only when parking etc.

Craig
30th October 2009, 12:00 PM
My JCW has a noise too, I complained when I bought the car and the said it was the Tyres moving on the rims and its not a warranty issue:ragin:

It never got any worse and I now have new tyres and the noise is still there, I suspect its to do with having an LSD I cant hear the noise when driving only when parking etc.

yeah john, exact same issue. Only when parkiong or moving very slowly. The noise does go away tho if you dip the clutch and the car is still moving (forward or backward)... :confused: only if the car is "in gear" does the noise show up. I also have an LSD and wondered if that was the issue...

RyanK
30th October 2009, 01:33 PM
I had the same problem when I first picked up the car. Took it to clarkies and was told that the LSD was needing oil or something like that. I've forgot the actual fault that was listed but the car cam out without the sound that was there in the 1st place.

Now though the noise is back! Don't know whether to leave it or get it fixed again

Crombers
30th October 2009, 05:42 PM
Try pulling away or manouvering at 'quick' speed whilst turning the steering wheel :yes nod: = less noise

Craig
30th October 2009, 06:01 PM
Try pulling away or manouvering at 'quick' speed whilst turning the steering wheel :yes nod: = less noise

nope, tried that it just makes more noise... :rolleyes::argh:

KenL
30th October 2009, 07:01 PM

Tell you any old cr*p some dealers!

Tyres moving on the rims, what will they come up with next :rolleyes: