PDA

View Full Version : Camber plates

antihero3000
12th October 2009, 01:49 PM
Firstly i'm a complete novice on this stuff so bear with me...

I had a full alignment carried out on my KW V1's a few months ago which really helped the handling with -0.6 degrees front and -2.0 degrees rear camber.

Since then i've changed from 205/45 to 205/40 tyres, hit a pothole and dropped the rear ride height after taking the back seats out. Obviously another alignment is required but i'm pondering fitting camber plates at the same time to avoid a third alignment further down the line.

Most of my reading up has suggested that a setup along the lines of -2 front and -1.5 rear would be a good setup. The problem is i've called my suspension experts back to book the car in and they have recommended reducing the rear camber and leaving the front camber as is if the car isn't going on a track. They feel this will help tyre wear and make the car less skittish at high speeds.

Now I really do trust their opinion but I love the look of that car with the camber at the rear and the vast majority of fast road minis seem to run plates of some sort.

I guess my question is do I:

A) Get rear camber plates, reduce the rear camber and listen to the experts.

or

B) Get front camber plates, increase the level of camber and get an evil stance while hoping I don't fly off the road at high speed.

What are everyones thoughts?

MrMischief
12th October 2009, 10:42 PM
Really depends if you're using it for 'fast road/track' purposes to make the increased negative camber worthwhile?

Or if the look of it is more important than you wearing out tyres rapidly...

You may want to increase the caster angle to get a more positive turn in too, although I don't know if there's any kits out there for the Mini (Whiteline maybe?). You should really fit poly bushes to keep it nice & tight too.

Try & decide before you go along to get it all setup...it makes sense to have all the changes made at the same time.

antihero3000
13th October 2009, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the input. Decision now made.

MrMischief
13th October 2009, 10:56 PM
That was quick....what did you decide?