PDA

View Full Version : R56 Spotlights

N16SHP
11th October 2009, 06:17 PM
Hey guys,

I know this has been discussed on here before, but how many of you guys have fitted the spot lights yourself, and how easy is it to do.

I've decided i fancy getting some of the black ones for my car, but trying to decide if its worth just fitting myself.

I've read on other forums that its easy to do, but no one really went into much detail.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

GCA3N
11th October 2009, 06:32 PM
Hey guys,

I know this has been discussed on here before, but how many of you guys have fitted the spot lights yourself, and how easy is it to do.

I've decided i fancy getting some of the black ones for my car, but trying to decide if its worth just fitting myself.

I've read on other forums that its easy to do, but no one really went into much detail.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

I done it on my r50 but I believe it is more complicated on the r56.

Delboy
11th October 2009, 06:56 PM
Haven't done it myself but I believe some programming of the ECU is required after they are fitted.

N16SHP
11th October 2009, 07:58 PM
I should also add that i have the xenon lights too!

joec73
11th October 2009, 08:14 PM
dont know if this helps any.

says you dont need coding in section 8

http://www.outmotoring.com/images/how_to/MIN_R56_aux_lights.PDF

The Dogfather
11th October 2009, 08:18 PM
Mikey said they don't need coding on the R56 as well

JOHN MILNE
12th October 2009, 07:33 AM
fitted mine myself
most difficult bit(for me anyway) is getting wire from cab into engine bay
eveything else is straight forward .there is no coding required

Ferengo
12th October 2009, 11:51 AM
I have no knowledge of electrics. John passed me the instructions but I couldn't follow them so I got a local garage to do. You're knowledge of car electrics may be better than mine though.

On the other hand I did figure out how to put a second set of spotlights on to the car, but again I got someone elst to wire em up :D

N16SHP
28th November 2009, 11:08 PM
Right, i have managed to get the Mrs to buy me some lights for x-mas (im sure there is a pun in there somewhere) so my next question is, the lights for the R56 basically piggyback onto the main headlights, does that mean that when my headlights are on they are on, or only when i use the full beam?

Also managed to get my Mrs old man to help me fit them. He qualifies quite nicely as a head engineer at Talisman, a qualified electrician, and also restored a TVR S! So that will save me a packed on labour, a 24 of 1664 should do it lol! He also has a double garage with acres of working space so the elements wont get us either!

GCA3N
28th November 2009, 11:42 PM
Right, i have managed to get the Mrs to buy me some lights for x-mas (im sure there is a pun in there somewhere) so my next question is, the lights for the R56 basically piggyback onto the main headlights, does that mean that when my headlights are on they are on, or only when i use the full beam?

Also managed to get my Mrs old man to help me fit them. He qualifies quite nicely as a head engineer at Talisman, a qualified electrician, and also restored a TVR S! So that will save me a packed on labour, a 24 of 1664 should do it lol! He also has a double garage with acres of working space so the elements wont get us either!

On my r50 ones I piggy backed them onto my full beams. You can also wire them up so that you can switch them on stand alone or with main lights. I really just wanted them for the back roads as I found full beams rubbish. I will say this though xenons are amazing would invest in them if you don't have them.

Gismo
28th November 2009, 11:59 PM
does that mean that when my headlights are on they are on, or only when i use the full beam?Whatever way you decide to connect them they should only ever be on with main beam