PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tyres!

The Dogfather
1st October 2009, 09:41 PM
Well just placed my order for some winter tyres.

Last time we had some Nokian WRG2s and thought they were great, but they've not performed as well in the 2009 tests compared with some of the newer tyres so went for some Dunlop SP Winter Sports 3D instead. Hopefully they'll be a good match for my driving style, bit of a risk but we'll see.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs230.snc1/7723_142961339755_608494755_2441461_5503747_n.jpg

I will report back with details of how they perform over the coming winter...

If anyone lives in an area that gets a reasonable amount of the white stuff I would strongly recommend getting some winters. My Mx5 would turnaround on the spot rather than going forward, once the winters went on I overtook a snow plough uphill :D

Craig
1st October 2009, 10:14 PM
got my Nokians on order at the mo. They will be fitted to a refurbed set of S Spokes for the winter... :thumbs up: Wheels about to go off to powdertec and once the tyres arrived they will be fitted. :yes nod:

With my original S Spokes back on the car (the ones that came with the car) it's veering all over the road again with the power on. Thinking of getting the diff checked as it only seems to happen when "on it" on motorways about 50/60 :rolleyes::frown:

AndyP & Lenore
1st October 2009, 10:24 PM
Do these winter tyres work OK on non-snowy roads? Do you get a lot of road noise from them, and do they wear down really quickly because they are a soft compound.:confused:

No longer have a 4X4 to keep us going over the winter now, so need to think about something like this for the winter.:frown:

A.

Craig
1st October 2009, 10:27 PM
these tyres are designed to work on cold, wet, slushy and snow covered roads. They seem to wear well (according to all the reviews I have read) although maybe Paul could give a better idea of durability.

I am fitting them due to the wheels only being used in the winter and from everything I have heard (and read) they seem to give great grip in all conditons (ice excluded ;)) and with having more power I will be glad of the extra security.. :yes nod:

The Dogfather
1st October 2009, 10:51 PM
I got two winters out of my Nokians they had about 3mm after about 15k from memory. Slightly noiser than the standard tyres - Michellins - but not as noisy as Federals.

The Nokians are really an all weather tyre, so they can be used all year.

Its not so much the keeping going on snow as mud pluggers could do that, its the cornering and stopping that these tyres give. Wait till some pleb in a 4x4 follows you thinking that he's got better grip on his mud tyres only for him to slide into a ditch at the first bend.

AndyP & Lenore
2nd October 2009, 08:28 AM
Cheers guys.

Do they come in 18's? Will they work as well in 18's? Should we really be looking at putting a cheap (ish) set of 17's on for ultimate grip over the winter months?

A.

The Dogfather
2nd October 2009, 09:23 AM
They do winters in any size, obviously narrower tyres will perform better in deep snow but for the dustings we get 18s will be fine. That way you have less of a drop in performance when there is lying snow.

My last set of winters were 215/45R17s, I've only gone for 16s as both the wheels and the tyres were cheaper

Smitty
2nd October 2009, 10:13 AM
Just drive slower and safer - then you'll havwe no problems in the snow, and no need for (waste money on :p) winter tyres :hand: ;)

I don't think I have much need for winter tyres - Midlands is hardly a signifcant snowfall area - with last year being the exception! But can see the sense if you live on high ground or in the North of Scotland.

ianking
2nd October 2009, 10:18 AM
Ive never bought winter tyres before and Ive never had any probs with the Mini. You just need to know how to drive in those conditions.
We get a fair snowfall where I live.

The Dogfather
2nd October 2009, 10:26 AM
Just drive slower and safer - then you'll havwe no problems in the snow, and no need for (waste money on :p) winter tyres :hand: ;)

I don't think I have much need for winter tyres - Midlands is hardly a signifcant snowfall area - with last year being the exception! But can see the sense if you live on high ground or in the North of Scotland.

Sorry Smitty but this is absolute rubbish, the benefit of winter tyres is better grip in cold conditions as well as snow. And, if you want to be safe in the snow the only way is to have the right tyres, either that or stay off the road.

When I lived in the Midlands (Leicester) I saw three major snowfalls in the year I was there, I also saw a few minor accidents as a result of the weather.

As for wasting money the only cost is for the rims or the change over, whilst I'm driving on winters my summer tyres are sat in my garage not getting worn so they'll need replacing less.

Anyway here's a video

GlYEMH10Z4s

Smitty
2nd October 2009, 10:53 AM
I think you took my sarcastic post a little out of context....I'll back out now before you kick off ;)

I completly see the benefits in winter tyres....I'm just saying I've never had problems with normal tyres and I've done a lot of snow driving for my age!! I don't I have the cash to buy 4 new shoes, and I don't think I will "really" reap the benfits of winter tyres for a 20 mile round commute a few days a week as I tend to use the car and little as possible over the winter.

So in summary - winter tyres are a brilliant idea. Required by everyone - No (unless they make it law like in Gemrnay!! :D)

You just need to know how to drive in those conditions.

And I couldnt agree more with this post Ian. The problem down south is most people don't know how to drive in cold/icy and in particular snow conditions (e.g. last winter!) Snow isn't as grippy as tarmac...try telling that to someone in Birmingham!! :Whistle: :eek:

ianking
2nd October 2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah you see folk trying to pull away in 1st gear then just flooring it and spinning all over the shop cause the car wont move.

Put it in 2nd and pull away gently and if it spins up stick it in 3rd. Thats what I do anyway and I always get moving when other cars seem to be stuck spinning the wheels with their speedos reading 45mph but they are actually doing 1mph sideways.

The Dogfather
2nd October 2009, 11:39 AM
I think you took my sarcastic post a little out of context....I'll back out now before you kick off ;)

Oops, missed that sorry. I'm having a bad morning :blush:

The Dogfather
2nd October 2009, 11:47 AM
So in summary - winter tyres are a brilliant idea. Required by everyone - No (unless they make it law like in Gemrnay!! :D)

I think it should be law, as well as driving with lights on all the time between October and March

And I couldnt agree more with this post Ian. The problem down south is most people don't know how to drive in cold/icy and in particular snow conditions (e.g. last winter!) Snow isn't as grippy as tarmac...try telling that to someone in Birmingham!! :Whistle: :eek:

In the defence of the people of Birmingham, I won't defend the accent though, we get snow fairly infrequently but when we do it does cause chaos. Being legally required to use winter tyres would mean it would be less of an issue. Better awareness from advertising campaign would also help. That and the death penalty for people who use foglights inappropriately...

Smitty
2nd October 2009, 11:55 AM
Oops, missed that sorry. I'm having a bad morning :blush:

I'll let you off....tone is a hard thing to get across via forum posts! :D

I think it should be law, as well as driving with lights on all the time between October and March

Agree :yes nod:

Being legally required to use winter tyres would mean it would be less of an issue.

Interesting point - it would probably do a lot of good! I don't think it will ever happen though....could you imagine the uproar the public would make it you told them they all had to go out and buy four new tyres of the winter while communicating the confliciting message of Global Warming and Climate Change. I think they'd through stones at downing street :eek: :knife:

The Dogfather
2nd October 2009, 12:34 PM
I'll let you off....tone is a hard thing to get across via forum posts! :D

Agree :yes nod:

Interesting point - it would probably do a lot of good! I don't think it will ever happen though....could you imagine the uproar the public would make it you told them they all had to go out and buy four new tyres of the winter while communicating the confliciting message of Global Warming and Climate Change. I think they'd through stones at downing street :eek: :knife:

Its more likely that the OEMs would fit the cars with all season tyres, which would mean most of the plebs would drive on these all year round whilst the drivers would shell out on proper summer rubber.

AndyP & Lenore
2nd October 2009, 10:58 PM
Cheers for the info and chat between Paul, Smitty and Ian etc...:yes nod:

As for making winter tyres compusory.... Pointless. As the idiots who don;t know how to drive in snow will still rev their car to 5,000 rpm showing 45mph on the speedo, 1mph sideways, but they'll just be kicking up much more snow.:frown:

A.:D

Sheilz
2nd October 2009, 11:52 PM
Well just placed my order for some winter tyres.

Last time we had some Nokian WRG2s and thought they were great, but they've not performed as well in the 2009 tests compared with some of the newer tyres so went for some Dunlop SP Winter Sports 3D instead. Hopefully they'll be a good match for my driving style, bit of a risk but we'll see.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs230.snc1/7723_142961339755_608494755_2441461_5503747_n.jpg

I will report back with details of how they perform over the coming winter...

If anyone lives in an area that gets a reasonable amount of the white stuff I would strongly recommend getting some winters. My Mx5 would turnaround on the spot rather than going forward, once the winters went on I overtook a snow plough uphill :D

Brrr! Time to get the heating on! Had a look at the tyres you mention and to be honest the blurb is impressive. They dont do them in a size to fit pace wheels. Shame your putting them on steelies though since they look such cracking tyres.

I've never bought winter tyres instead have always replaced my runflats in November to make sure there's good tread. I changed from the standard runflats to the contis because I was never impressed with them on very icy roads. I mind one night coming out of work following a very dramatic fall in temp after a wet day. LOL poor specy just stayed put on the hill up to Andie Drive. I eventually made it to the Kings Gate round about from midstocket but took all of twenty minutes.

Since I may well be galavanting up and down to Bonnybridge, Lockerbie and now Coldstream as well over the winter, I think it might be advisable for me to consider winter tyres. Icy roads are not considered a good enough excuse to miss visits. Social workers are disposable :sad::ragin:

Stewart
3rd October 2009, 01:10 AM
Your wee car comes with,

“Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) for optimum traction, sophisticated suspension systems, four disc brakes and the latest ABS system, featuring Cornering Brake Control, Electronic Brakeforce Distribution and Brake Assist”

All the latest gismos must help over the older Specy

I missed DSC as standard by a month on my late 57 plate and it would be nice as the drive is on a hill and on the snow the Mini I have to take care, the brand new focus has traction control but not driven it on the snow yet.

The Dogfather
3rd October 2009, 02:58 AM
Stewart, DSC can only do so much. When DSC notices a skid it will try to correct it by braking individual wheels but if there is no grip at all then the wheels can't exert any force to correct the skid.

Sheilz - the tyres are going on a set of 16s rather than steelies. If you wanted some for your car these would fit (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=17687822.110.8079&typ=D-104170&ranzahl=4&Breite=215&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=H&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&sort_by=preis&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=Wi). Trouble is the 17s are expensive which is why I bought the 16" wheels.

If you can get 15s they become really cheap...

ianking
3rd October 2009, 08:43 AM
I actually switch the DTC off when Im driving in the snow as it makes it easier to pull away.

The Dogfather
3rd October 2009, 09:12 AM
I switch it off to get started if its really tricky, but put it back on the moment I'm moving.

The Dogfather
5th October 2009, 03:31 PM
Craig, my tyres arrived this afternoon

Craig
5th October 2009, 06:22 PM
Craig, my tyres arrived this afternoon

Boo. Not seen mine yet. :(

Sheilz
5th October 2009, 07:05 PM
Your wee car comes with,

“Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) for optimum traction, sophisticated suspension systems, four disc brakes and the latest ABS system, featuring Cornering Brake Control, Electronic Brakeforce Distribution and Brake Assist”

All the latest gismos must help over the older Specy

I missed DSC as standard by a month on my late 57 plate and it would be nice as the drive is on a hill and on the snow the Mini I have to take care, the brand new focus has traction control but not driven it on the snow yet.

Specy had quite a high spec including the DSC. Miss that wee light flashing most mornings hurling him onto Andie Dve before being crushed by muckle lorries. I've not made Dougall's light wink at me yet :sad:

15s might be an idea for winter. Cheap way to lower him too LOL

The Dogfather
5th October 2009, 07:13 PM
Sheilz, the wheel size is roughly the same regardless of the rim diameter as you have a larger tyre profile.

Sheilz
5th October 2009, 08:18 PM
Sheilz, the wheel size is roughly the same regardless of the rim diameter as you have a larger tyre profile.

Damn :thud:;)

AndyP & Lenore
9th October 2009, 05:12 PM
Some advice required from those who have "been there, done that".

We're really looking to drop the wheels on our blue MINI down to 17". Got a great price from a certain dealer sponsor for some R112's, so I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering them soon.

As for what rubber to put on them, I just don't know. I really want to stay with run flat tyres, so I know that limits our choices a wee bit. My local tyre place is suggesting Kumho KW17 Run flat winter tyres. Anyone used Kumho tyres before? I always thought of Kumho's as just one step up from cheap Kwik-Fit remoulds, but am I wrong in that?

The options we have are:

Kumho KW17 (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=84319938.110.8415&Cookie=froogle&typ=R-133097&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Herst=Kumho&Quer=45&Felge=17&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=Wi&RunFlat=1)

Pirelli 240 Snowsport (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=84319938.110.8415&Cookie=froogle&typ=1435200&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Herst=Kumho&Quer=45&Felge=17&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=Wi&RunFlat=1)

Bridgestone Blizzak (http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=84319938.110.8415&Cookie=froogle&typ=R-158121&ranzahl=4&Breite=205&Herst=Kumho&Quer=45&Felge=17&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=20&Transport=P&dsco=110&sowigan=Wi&RunFlat=1)

All opinions and assistance appreciated.:thumbs up:

A.

Scottie
9th October 2009, 06:04 PM
I've had Kumho tyres (not runflats) seemed fine for my style of driving but I'm no tyre snob when It comes time to replace my Federals I'll be going back to Kumho.

AndyP & Lenore
9th October 2009, 07:18 PM
I've had Kumho tyres (not runflats) seemed fine for my style of driving but I'm no tyre snob when It comes time to replace my Federals I'll be going back to Kumho.

Cheers Fi. Certainly no tyre "snob" either. We prefer what feels right on the road. But with preferring run flats our options are limited. Good to hear feedback on the Kumho's though.:thumbs up:

Craig
9th October 2009, 07:52 PM
If Pirellis are still the same, they have good grip, but wear much quicker than other tyres... ;)

I have heard good reports on Khumos for guys at work... ;)

The Dogfather
9th October 2009, 08:10 PM
Andy, I wouldn't go for any of those.

German test site here (http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www1.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests/Winterreifen/default.asp&ei=KorPSt79I4T24AaB8P2CAw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dadac%2Bwinterreifen%2Btest%2B2008%26h l%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUK264%26sa%3 DG) (translated by Google)

Mine are the Dunlop Winter Sports 3D, they'll get fitted this weekend but probably won't be on the car till the end of the month

AndyP & Lenore
9th October 2009, 11:21 PM
Andy, I wouldn't go for any of those.

German test site here (http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www1.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests/Winterreifen/default.asp&ei=KorPSt79I4T24AaB8P2CAw&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dadac%2Bwinterreifen%2Btest%2B2008%26h l%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26rlz%3D1G1GGLQ_ENUK264%26sa%3 DG) (translated by Google)

Mine are the Dunlop Winter Sports 3D, they'll get fitted this weekend but probably won't be on the car till the end of the month

Any reason you don't think we should go for those?

Had a look at the ADAC site. None of those are available as run flat, from what I can see.:frown:

A.:confused:

The Dogfather
9th October 2009, 11:54 PM
Sorry Andy missed the RF requirement. The poor feedback on the tyre sites and lack of a recommendation from ADAC put me off them. Some RFs here, pricey mind...

Vred Wintrac Xtreme £160 - I've heard other Brits recommend these, but no other RFs on here!!
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m11b423s2801p0

Other than that the RF factor leads you to those three you mentioned, if I had a gun to my head I'd go for Pirellis but make sure they have the M+S marking and ideally the Moutain and Snowflake symbol.

You'd be better of with a nice set of 16s (195/55 R16) as there is a much bigger (and cheaper) choice of RFs - the ones I have only cost £118

Craig
10th October 2009, 08:49 AM
I don't think Andy can run 16's due to his brakes... :argh:

The Dogfather
10th October 2009, 09:02 AM
There are some 16s that will fit the Cooper S brakes, unless he's got the factory works kit fitted. I'm fitting MINI 16s to mine, although I might go for aftermarket because I want black wheels.

For Sale 16" MINI wheels that fit over Cooper S brakes (lol)

AndyP & Lenore
10th October 2009, 10:00 AM
Not sure if we can fit 16" wheels or not. Big jump from 18's to 16's though. If I'm honest, I think we're probably gonna go with the tyre tread that looks the best and looks like it will pull us out the snow and stop us in the snow the best.

A.

The Dogfather
10th October 2009, 10:11 AM
Andy, its all in the sipes man, its all in the sipes!

You might want to wait a couple of weeks I'm going from 18s to 16s, I'll let you know how I get on. There's no cold weather expected for 2 weeks.

Craig
10th October 2009, 05:43 PM
my tyres got delivered to work so picked them up today while I had a van... they look AMAZIN, cannae wait to get them fitted.. :yes nod: hopefully next week or next weekend at the latest.. :thumbs up:

I went for Nokian WRG2 tyres in 215/45/17 as they don't do them in 205/45/17. :rolleyes:

The Dogfather
10th October 2009, 08:34 PM
I've had my winter tyres fitted and as expected the grip is less than the 18s but its warm and dry. The biggest difference is the feel of the car though, it feels much livelier and there's no torque steer either.

I doubt this would be to your taste Andy, as you already feel the R56 is too soft. I quite like it though, perhaps I should stick my 18s up for sale :D

AndyP & Lenore
11th October 2009, 10:52 AM
There's no doubt the R56 is "softer" than our R53. I think we'll stick to 17's for our first foray into winter wheels/tyres.:thumbs up:

Which, I guess, brings us back to the original four options. I'll have a look at the "sipes" and reviews/opinions on these four before making a decision.

The Dogfather
11th October 2009, 11:00 AM
The Bizzaks are hardcore so probably not suited to our climate, the Kuhmos are rated MS so probably poo in the snow. As for the Pirellis, their RFs are the worst there is...

Rock and a Hard Place

AndyP & Lenore
11th October 2009, 01:21 PM
Totally agree Pirelli run flats are rubbish. Had them on our silver cooper and the car was all over the place.:frown:

A.

Sheilz
13th October 2009, 11:38 PM
How do you cater for a pucture or flat if there's no room for a spare? I mind Allan being up sh*t creek on Julz' run a few years back. The gungy stuff was less than useless.

AndyP & Lenore
13th October 2009, 11:49 PM
How do you cater for a pucture or flat if there's no room for a spare? I mind Allan being up sh*t creek on Julz' run a few years back. The gungy stuff was less than useless.

Aye. Hence... Runflats for us.

A. :D

The Dogfather
14th October 2009, 02:52 AM
My TT doesn't have a spare, my Civic, my two A2s, my Mx5 (mk3) all didn't have a spare. None suffered a puncture and if they did, and the puncture stuff didn't work I'd use the breakdown cover that came with the car.

Its what its for, why ruin the enjoyment and increase the running costs of your car for something that very rarely happens when you already have a back up.

I've had about 3 breakdowns in the last 10 years, only 1 was caused by a puncture, but the puncture was repaired easily at Kwik Fit after the tyre was taken there by the AA. I didn't have to shell out for a new tyre, which is what you have to do if you run too far on RFs.

Incidentally, Alan went back to non RFs... maybe he thought 1 wasted afternoon in 5 years wasn't actually that bad.

If I get a puncture with the winters I'll use the gunk 1st and the AA second, or just tell Jackie to bring me a summer wheel as a spare if I'm near home :D

Craig
14th October 2009, 07:44 AM
My TT doesn't have a spare, my Civic, my two A2s, my Mx5 (mk3) all didn't have a spare. None suffered a puncture and if they did, and the puncture stuff didn't work I'd use the breakdown cover that came with the car.

Its what its for, why ruin the enjoyment and increase the running costs of your car for something that very rarely happens when you already have a back up.

I've had about 3 breakdowns in the last 10 years, only 1 was caused by a puncture, but the puncture was repaired easily at Kwik Fit after the tyre was taken there by the AA. I didn't have to shell out for a new tyre, which is what you have to do if you run too far on RFs.

Incidentally, Alan went back to non RFs... maybe he thought 1 wasted afternoon in 5 years wasn't actually that bad.

If I get a puncture with the winters I'll use the gunk 1st and the AA second, or just tell Jackie to bring me a summer wheel as a spare if I'm near home :D

Couldn't agree more Paul.... exactly what I would say. :yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
14th October 2009, 08:14 PM
I know what you guys are saying, but I'm not having Lenore out on the roads at night on her own in the middle of winter with a flat. The winter seems to be when she's in the car on her own the most and it's just not worth the risk. If she was never on her own, and I did all the miles I would be fine with non run flats. But as it is, it's not an option.

A.

The Dogfather
14th October 2009, 08:22 PM
Fair enough, but what happens if the car breaks down?

AndyP & Lenore
14th October 2009, 09:11 PM
Fair enough, but what happens if the car breaks down?

Paul, it's down to minimising risk. Can't remove the possibility of the car breaking down, but if we can minimise the situations in which she would be stranded all the better.

A.

The Dogfather
14th October 2009, 09:13 PM
I know Andy, just being an argumentative so and so (sorry)

AndyP & Lenore
14th October 2009, 09:28 PM
I know Andy, just being an argumentative so and so (sorry)

lol.

GCA3N
14th October 2009, 10:55 PM
I must be unlucky I can recall about 8 or 9 punctures in my driving career maybe even more that I forgot about. I once got 3 in one week. I honestly thought that I was going crazy. Maybe it's me hugging the apex all the time.

Scottie
28th December 2009, 08:58 PM
well so far so good for my Toyo Snow Proxes.:thumbs up: Certainly put them to the test over the past few days on some great snow covered unsalted B roads:smilewinkgrin: they didn't get much of a try out last year.

Craig
28th December 2009, 09:19 PM
aye, my Nokians have been brilliant. :thumbs up:

I used my dads car (VW Tiguan) on xmas day to shuttle the auntie from glasgow and it didn't go that great in the snow, then jumped into mine and it was fantastic.. :yes nod: Just shows what a difference the right tyres do.

I have to push a guy out of a parking spot today and there was next to no snow... :argh: he was doing it at 7000rpm tho :ragin:

The Dogfather
28th December 2009, 09:20 PM
I've been driving on snow for two weeks now :D

Scottie
28th December 2009, 09:27 PM
aye, my Nokians have been brilliant. :thumbs up:

I used my dads car (VW Tiguan) on xmas day to shuttle the auntie from glasgow and it didn't go that great in the snow, then jumped into mine and it was fantastic.. :yes nod: Just shows what a difference the right tyres do.

I have to push a guy out of a parking spot today and there was next to no snow... :argh: he was doing it at 7000rpm tho :ragin:

that will have been because he was trying to get his car to go over high frozen solid ice/snow noticed a good few cars today struggle in the same situation. The centre of the road is so high with frozen snow/ice that my car scrapes along it those front flap bits at the wheels