PDA

View Full Version : question about getting vinyl removed!

S111_SOT
1st October 2009, 01:17 PM
Ok so im going to see a guy today about getting the checks and bonnet stripes off, But im not sure how long the bonnet stripes have been on and i'm worried tht if they are removed then there will be marks left where they used to be with the rest of the bonnet fading? the checks on the roof have only been on a short time so there wont be any problems there, if marks are left what do you think the cheapest way would be to get rid of the marks left?
Thanks. Simon

Forbes
1st October 2009, 01:45 PM
My stripes had been on for 4years when I replaced them and left no marks, but the paint was slightly lighter.

And do it yourself! It is so easy

S111_SOT
1st October 2009, 01:50 PM
My stripes had been on for 4years when I replaced them and left no marks, but the paint was slightly lighter.

And do it yourself! It is so easy

Thanks for that Ben, So slightly lighter that it was noticeable or not?:lol:
I want to get the car back to a blank canvas so it will be all my personal ideas when its finished.
How did u do it Yourself? Hairdryer yes?

Forbes
1st October 2009, 03:43 PM
Just started peeling it, was the warmest day of summer. If you looked closely you would notice the slight colour difference.

S111_SOT
1st October 2009, 04:01 PM
Just started peeling it, was the warmest day of summer. If you looked closely you would notice the slight colour difference.

I just went down to see the guy there and he said it should come off no problem with a hairdryer. Its just time consuming for doing the roof he said. He told me that with the bmw paint being so good it shouldnt have faded realy, just to give it a good polish after it and if theres adhesive still on the bonnet to get some methyline spirit or something from halfords and that will clear it all up:D

ianking
1st October 2009, 04:10 PM
Use a hair sryer to heat them up then start at one end and pull them off.

If the paintwork outwith the stripes has faded then it would need machine polished to make it back to new.

S111_SOT
1st October 2009, 04:52 PM
took the bonnet stripes off just now and its looking good, will post up pics in my gallery thread tonight, should i remove the checks from the roof???

GCA3N
1st October 2009, 07:30 PM
live with the checks for a week or 2 then see how you feel.

S111_SOT
1st October 2009, 07:42 PM
Removing the checks tommorow guy's :D

G17RDY
18th October 2009, 06:31 PM
How did you get on with removing the checks??

When i was buying my R50 a good few week ago, the car already had checks on it, which i wasn't convinced i liked on the car. So i asked the dealer to take them off. I was concerned that it would leave a faded check on the white roof, after all as far as i can gather they had been on the car since 2003.

However, the roof came up beautifully, and i am really happy with the results.

Louboolicious
18th October 2009, 11:48 PM
i was thinkin about takin my stripes off too...didnt realise all i'd need was a hair dryer :D