PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Help

L13ARG
30th September 2009, 10:38 PM
hi wanting some help or advise on buying a new front pipe and decat for my 52 plate cooper . Have looked on ebay around the £160 mark has any body tried these ???? any advise would be great or is any body selling such a part ????

stoney
1st October 2009, 07:07 AM
a new manifold wont do much to your cooper ask crombers he has the play mini one on a cooper i have the gtt one for my s but thats more like 350 / 400 i think if i mind right not seen the ones on ebay so carnt comment on them

Crombers
1st October 2009, 11:24 AM
£160 is a bit on the cheap side I reckon :confused:

When I priced a new Janspeed manifold from Drivers in Glasgow it was more like £600 :eek:

I picked up Elfmans Playmini manifold/sports cat when he moved over to the dark side :frown: :D.
I was sooooooooooooooo looking forward to recreating 'some' of the awsome sound that came out of his magnificent R53. Sadly this was'nt to be as the Cooper just does not have the required oomph that a JCW 'S' has to 'light the fire'. We reckon it must have something to do with the supercharger & all that extra pressure :confused:

On a brighter note :clap: my Cooper now sounds that little bit deeper than other folks with standard manifolds & Playmini back boxes. Once on the move (i.e at 4000rpm) it has that good bit more pulling power & noise than before & I reckon it'll have increased my BHP by somewhere between 5 to 10. Added to my K&N 57i & the Playmini back box I reckon I've upped my wee Coop from 115 to somewhere in the mid 120 'horses' & she still puts a smile on my 'coupon' :hand:

(oh & if anyone does fit an upgraded manifold remember to throw away & 'plug' the rear exhaust sensor as it 'can' throw up the dreaded EML light. Through my research I found out that this sensor has the single job of comparing the gases at the front sensor & throwing on the light 'if' the gases are outwith the set tolerances)

L13ARG
1st October 2009, 03:30 PM
thanks for that. Needing to replace manifold anyway has developed a funny noise from the flexi part. Had looked on ebay and a few on offer. Have decatted plenty of my other cars i have had in past and always made a worth while gain.

Hamish
1st October 2009, 03:41 PM
i would have thought de-catting it would have made a big difference.

I might have a playmini exhaust (cat back) for sale... brand new, fitted but not used.

L13ARG
1st October 2009, 03:50 PM
If you are selling could you let me know please im in Hawick as well so i can have a look anytime Cheers

Hamish
1st October 2009, 06:14 PM
will do, this is what I have...

Exhaust...
http://www.playmini.co.uk/bmw/newpartspages/pmb03.html

Link pipe (unsilenced)...
http://www.playmini.co.uk/bmw/newpartspages/pmb01-2.html

It's on the car at the moment, but it hasnt been used and hasnt even been outdoors haha (car is still a shell really!!!)

If you fancy it, I'd take a sensible offer for it and you're welcome to have a look at it. :D

L13ARG
1st October 2009, 08:35 PM
Yeah could i get a look at it some time please . Not got a manifold just hanging around have you lol

Hamish
2nd October 2009, 09:50 AM
lol I wish I did haha. Sure no problems... whens best for you and we'll work something out.

I'm normally around most of the time (chained to my work at the moment!!!) haha.

L13ARG
2nd October 2009, 11:03 AM
yeah no what you mean . Do you work in Hawick ? Can have a look any time really what ever is good for you