PDA

View Full Version : Quantity Surveying Placement

Forbes
29th September 2009, 11:48 PM
Looking for a little help from you guys:

I’m just starting as a third year Quantity Surveying student at The Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen. After Christmas we either have to get a placement or continue our studies in University. I would much prefer to go on a placement as I feel this will be more beneficial for me to help get a better understanding of what being a Surveyor involves, studying these things is all well and good but the real world gives you real experience.

So basically can anyone help with contacts that I could approach for the placement? Is anyone a surveyor that can give me any advice on getting my placement?

Please PM if you can help

ianking
30th September 2009, 01:19 PM
Does it have to be in Aberdeen area or would you go elsewhere in Scotland?

dezzyS
30th September 2009, 01:29 PM
My brother is a Chartered Quantity Surveyor in Glasgow. If you're happy to go to Glasgow, PM me your details and I'll ask him if they could take you on.

Cheers,
D

Forbes
30th September 2009, 02:03 PM
Does it have to be in Aberdeen area or would you go elsewhere in Scotland?
Will go elsewhere in Britain:thumbs up:

Forbes
30th September 2009, 02:04 PM
My brother is a Chartered Quantity Surveyor in Glasgow. If you're happy to go to Glasgow, PM me your details and I'll ask him if they could take you on.

Cheers,
D
Thank you. Just wanting to have some people I can approach about a placement:D

ianking
30th September 2009, 02:42 PM
I will have a word with our QS dept here at work.
We usually take on summer placement design and civil engineers so maybe they would like a one year QS placement.

Forbes
30th September 2009, 02:53 PM
Should of said it is Start of Feb till end of August usually. Thanks Ian.

ianking
30th September 2009, 03:37 PM
Ben

just about to send you a P.M

Forbes
30th September 2009, 04:11 PM
Straight back to you.

Thank you everyone who PMd me aswell. Great to have people helping out even though it's nothing to do with Minis.

Burple
30th September 2009, 05:20 PM
Hopefully things will be better for you doing this than they were when I was doing my degree in QS! Less than half the class actually managed to get placements during 2 summers... in the middle of a Construction Industry slump.. hence my jump to breaking computers instead! ;) :laugh::laugh:

Forbes
30th September 2009, 05:26 PM
We were told things were bleak when we were told we could get. Only one person isn't even looking out of 25ish people (last years class there was 60 people in it) and also this year only 2 said they had to stay in Aberdeen.

I would prefer to be closer to Aberdeen but feel at the end of the day it is my career and I won't be staying in Aberdeen forever.

Also I have had a good few contacts given to me today and I know of a couple through friends parents all of which should help.

Fingers crossed

Crombers
1st October 2009, 11:38 AM
hence my jump to breaking computers instead! ;) :laugh::laugh:

Well somebody else has to be 'useless' just like me :hand: