PDA

View Full Version : power steering pump fail

G19RNT
28th September 2009, 09:31 PM
my car has just been in for a service at jcs and they tell me my power steering pump is knackered was just wondering if this is a common problem my car is now out of warranty by only 3 weeks but think i'am gettin some of the parts and labour under warranty

Craig
28th September 2009, 09:56 PM
yeah Grant - this is a known major problem. :frown:

I would push for the part for free and you pay the labour - at the very least. it was on watchdog and BMW have agreed to fixed power steering pumps that were out of warranty (person only has to pay the labour - pumps were being replaced f.o.c.).

hope you get it sorted OK. :thumbs up:

If it was me, with it being so close to the end of the warranty I would be wanting it all covered by warranty... try giving MINI customer service a call to see if they can help...

Forbes
28th September 2009, 10:14 PM
Try and push for them to pay it all. It is a expensive job. Mine went last year before Watchdog showed it and I got diddly squat!:ragin:

ianking
29th September 2009, 08:31 AM
The pump is expensive but its just over an hour to fit. However thats probably something like £100 + vat per hour:eek:

Crombers
29th September 2009, 11:46 AM
Here's my post from August 2008 when my MINI was just over 4 years old :

On Tuesday evening on my way up to Pit Crew HQ , just before the Denny cut off, I noticed that my steering had suddenly become 'heavy'. Thankfully I was going in a straight line cos if this were to suddenly go whilst enjoying the twisties you'd get one helluva fright.
When I say heavy I mean it took a fair amount of heave to turn a bend & t-junctions were a riot (not!!). They required pre logistical positioning or taken at the widest route possible & it was skid mark time as kerbs loomed closer

"Ah well" said me, "that'll be a trip to the garage" & back I carefully trod to Glasgow South. After checking in with CraigD it became apparent that this was not gonna be a cheap 'visit to the garage' as the next morning it was suspected that the Power Steering Pump had probably given in & at £378 sir, a new part is yours (add the labour & the VAT & we are up to an eye watering £550 plus) !!

After contacting my local dealer (& a mechanic friend) it was put to me that giving BMW Customer Service a call was worth it to see if they would offer any kind of assistance as a measure of goodwill as parts such as these should not be prone to failure. I thought I'd be 'onto plumbs' on this one as my car is of June 04 vintage with 56K on the clock and is way out of warranty. My friend pointed out that in all his years as a Motor Engineer he could count the number of times he had replaced power steering pumps on two hands. "They do go" he said "but it's rare" which I thought interesting.

BMWCS advised me that as my MINI had had previous problems with the steering (new steering rack & column fitted whilst under warranty) I should contact Henry Bros/Douglas Park (who had done the previous warrantly work) to arrange a 'diagnostic check' for a wee look see.

Douglas Park were more than accomodating & my MINI was with them before midday on Wednesday. I received a call in the early afternoon to say that the pump had indeed failed & that DP would be liasing with BMW to see if any goodwill gesture could be offered. I thanked DP for their efforts & in discussion with them I also pointed out that I had spent a good few quid on the aerokit/TLCXL etc & that I had supported BMW in aftersales & it would be appeciated if any kind of reciprical offer were to be put on the table.

Mid afternoon & DP called to say that BMW would be willing to meet half the cost of the part but before I could say much they would be going back to BMW to re discuss the case as DP were of the opinion BMW may/could/should meet the full cost of the part. Customer service or what

By the close of play that same day, DP called again to say that BMW had agreed that in this case they would pay for the part in full if I was prepared to pay for the diagnostic/labour/clips/fluids/clamps (£94 to you & me). A superb result or what & my £ontribution means that the part is warranted for two years.

It has to be said that Douglas Park were superb in this instance & I thanked them (more than once!) for their efforts.

I should also note that whilst it is more than worth giving BMW Customer Service a call in matters like these, every case is treated individually & that my previous steering problems, money spent on aftersales products, full service history etc would probably have been taken into account by BMW before making their decision.

Just thought I'd share.

Happy MINImotoring folks