PDA

View Full Version : Lowering

Sheilz
27th September 2009, 12:43 AM
Anyone got any particular recommendations for clubman? Or anything I need to be mindful of other than avoiding bank manager :p;)
Cheers

The Dogfather
27th September 2009, 09:53 AM
Coastal Racing (NM Sponsors) where doing Eibachs for about £230 + Vat and KW1s for £800 that's fully fitted with tracking.

Gismo
27th September 2009, 09:53 AM
If you go too low you will struggle to get over speed bumps and up into ramped drives etc
Also, extra strain will be placed on the driveshafts.

Apart from that and depending on which product is out there for the Clubbie :Whistle: the handling should be better and the stance appearance, in my opinion will be smarter :thumbs up:
Sorry, not sure what's available

Delboy
27th September 2009, 05:24 PM
Personally, I wouldn't lower it. It already rides better than the hatchback ;).

Sheilz
27th September 2009, 08:18 PM
If you go too low you will struggle to get over speed bumps and up into ramped drives etc
Also, extra strain will be placed on the driveshafts

How low would it have to be before it created strain on driveshaft? Unfortunately as much as I'm growing fond of Dougall I dont agree with the given wisdom that R56 is better than older models so am looking to just make a few tweaks to make me feel the car is sharper. Its maybe faster in top end but apart from being a lovely car to drive overall in terms of its handling I dont find him better than specy. If I have him lowered is there anything else I should change such as shocks? Amn't plannning on too much lowering - far too many speedbumps around here :eek:

Sheilz
27th September 2009, 08:20 PM
Coastal Racing (NM Sponsors) where doing Eibachs for about £230 + Vat and KW1s for £800 that's fully fitted with tracking.

I was looking at Eibachs last night and found some advertised at about £150 though vat on top of that.

The Dogfather
27th September 2009, 08:40 PM
But that won't be fitted, and you need the car's tracking afterwards as well.

Lohen quoted me £280 and Revolution quoted £300 neither included tracking. Not sure who could do it up in Aberdeen though.

Forbes
27th September 2009, 09:03 PM
Motorwerks quoted fitting at £120 for me, but not sure if that is tracking aswell

Gismo
27th September 2009, 09:06 PM
How low would it have to be before it created strain on driveshaft?It's just your luck, some folks get problems and others don't, but, would defo advise getting the tracking done as well

Sheilz
27th September 2009, 10:38 PM
Ok thank you guys.

Duncan Stewart
28th September 2009, 08:34 AM
I dont agree with the given wisdom that R56 is better than older models so am looking to just make a few tweaks to make me feel the car is sharper.

Do you have a sport button fitted? It does not change the suspension but electronically makes the steering feel sharper & heavier and the throttle response quicker.
Out of town my R56 Cooper feels a bit "sloppy" in corners unless I use the sport button - that makes it feel sharper and more secure :D
As it is an electronic button I assume you could retro fit it to your car :confused:

Sheilz
28th September 2009, 09:18 AM
Do you have a sport button fitted? It does not change the suspension but electronically makes the steering feel sharper & heavier and the throttle response quicker.
Out of town my R56 Cooper feels a bit "sloppy" in corners unless I use the sport button - that makes it feel sharper and more secure :D
As it is an electronic button I assume you could retro fit it to your car :confused:

Dont have that. Maybe that's the problem. Sloppy - its the perfect word for how Dougall sometimes feels. Thanks Duncan.

Stewart
28th September 2009, 03:32 PM
At first I thought it was a bit of a waste the old sport button, my car came with it. But seriously after those Mini runs this year its an option I’d keep and want on the next car.

As I’ve said the button switches off when you remove the key fob, and when I’ve jumped back in on say the TWR and forgot to press it on it takes me a few miles before I think hold on something is a miss. The car feels slower and the wheel felt all wrong.

It's one of those things you dont realize what it does till you miss it.

The Dogfather
28th September 2009, 05:44 PM
The sport button doesn't effect the suspension.

Shielz, the R55 is softer than the R50. The sports suspension on my old clubman was spot on for comfort but my current one leans too much. Having said that though its very comfy on long runs.

Stewart
28th September 2009, 08:21 PM
With Duncan on this the Button does make it feel better through the wheel and there is a sharpness to the car. If it had done the suspension as well it would be some package. But as Paul has owned a few Clubmans he'll know what’s what.

It actually took more than half a year before I used it on the runs and find out that it was not just a gimmick.

The Dogfather
28th September 2009, 09:41 PM
It reduces the power assistance and sharpens the throttle response. I'm running 225/40s now and I'd rather it didn't turn down the power assistance :wall:

Sheilz
30th September 2009, 02:30 PM
It reduces the power assistance and sharpens the throttle response. I'm running 225/40s now and I'd rather it didn't turn down the power assistance :wall:

So Paul, if Dougall was your motor what would you do to him to get that sharpness?

getting rid of him isn't an option - Munro's antennae is on red alert :eek::hand: after my four month ownership of Hamish :thumbs up:

Have decided on Eibachs unless of course someone comes along and says 'NO DINNA BE FEEL! that's not the way to go about it'! :confused:

Forbes
30th September 2009, 02:58 PM
Wonder if anywhere would give a Aberdeen Mini lowering discount for 2 cars?

The Dogfather
30th September 2009, 07:08 PM
I've kinda got used to the softer feel as it doesn't effect the handling too much.

I'm going to fit some coilovers next year ready for the Highland Tour but I don't really want to loose the ride quality as I do so many long journeys.

Crombers
1st October 2009, 11:36 AM
I would'nt touch it either :frown:. It has been said that the 'raw' handling of the R50/53 has been 'softened' on the new MkII's & most owners just grow to accept the difference. Hopefully some of the chaps & chapessesseeszsss who have 'moved over' will be along in a bit to add their thoughts