PDA

View Full Version : Test Drove a Cooper-S

AberdeenMini
24th May 2004, 08:57 AM
Must say i was quite dissapointed, dont know why but it just didnt feel as fast as i expected it to be. I thought i would totally notice the difference compared to the Cooper but i just dont think it warrents the £5k trade in price. I test drove a Civic TypeR the previous day and it did feel very very fast. Oh well i thought i'd let you's know if my first experience in an 'S' :)

Wul
24th May 2004, 04:14 PM
it's funny Steve - that's exactly what i thought when i first had a shot of an S after jumping out my cooper - in the coop you get to used to the burst of power coming through at 4000+ RPM :D Whereas in the S the power is always there due to the Supercharger. Having now run my S for 2 months though you soon notice the power - especially towards the 5000+ RPM mark - it doesn't run out of puff as quickly as the coop.:)

Steve74
24th May 2004, 06:20 PM
I have to say - I drove around in a Honda CRV for work the other day and then got back into my S. What a car! I forgot how much fun it was. It may not be the fastest car but the thing just grips and grips - and if you turn the traction control off its a blast. I'm thinking about the 240 bhp mod though (as well as brakes) as the car could do with a little more oomph! Has a lot more character than a Honda for sure though.

Duncan Stewart
24th May 2004, 07:20 PM
What did you think of the ride? I tried 16" wheels on my cooper but on the broken up back roads I drive to work it felt awful. I must arrange an S test drive - it might help get rid of the little voice in the back of my head saying - "go on, go on, you know you want one!" :I :eek:

gmc
24th May 2004, 10:51 PM
I HAVE JUST MOVED FORM A ONE TO AN S AND FOR THE FIRST FEW DAYS I THOUGHT I HAD MADE A MISTAKE ,YOU NEED MORE THAN JUST A TEST DRIVE TO GET USED TO IT THIS IS MY 2ND WEEK WITH THE S NOW AND NOW I HAVE GOT USE TO THE GEARBOX ,RIDE AND POWER DELIVERY ITS MAGIC !!

GMC 053 S ELECTRIC BLUE CHILL/AERO PACK WITH MINI BOX OFFICE

donniem
25th May 2004, 03:03 AM
If any of you fancy an "s",I have only one word of advice,DO NOT DO WHAT I DID,which was to drive a "200bhp works s" demonstrator,because there is nothing so utterly bonkers or addictive on the road,I would have one yesterday but you cannot get a mortgage for petrol,dont see any harm in it myself,but the bank manager told me to grow up,fat chance.

AberdeenMini
25th May 2004, 08:09 AM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

What did you think of the ride? I tried 16" wheels on my cooper but on the broken up back roads I drive to work it felt awful. I must arrange an S test drive - it might help get rid of the little voice in the back of my head saying - "go on, go on, you know you want one!" :I :eek:

The ride was alright, but im accustomed to SS+ with 17's so im used to all the bumps and grinds! Must say if your looking for a smoother ride get rid of runflats! I've noticed a big difference in the ride quality since moving to non runflat tyres.

euan
26th May 2004, 07:32 AM
I was exactly the same, I was not overawed with the S at first go. But it wears you down and then, every now and again, it shocks you into just how great it really is. Then it's worth every penny. The right road, the right mood, nothing, not even a works car, comes close. (Granted, the works car is fantastic, and I have one in a minute, but it'll just get you there faster and the S is a blooming quick car anyway!)

And it's much better looking than any Honda. But then, that may just be me :)

redpoint rallying
27th May 2004, 03:37 AM
All I can say is 'go get one!!!'

Had my 'S' for a year now and I love it! It will utterly grow on you, trust me. Before I bought it I asked for and very readily got an extended test drive from the nice chap Matt at John Clarks at Aberdeen. I collected the 'S' on the Friday lunchtime and gave it back on Monday morning. You just cannot in any way judge the car (or any other for that matter) on a brief drive.

The rally car is a standard Cooper and it is fantastic, but its no 'S'....

A well driven Cooper will match an averagely driven 'S' but you just dont have to thrash the nuts off the 'S' to achieve it.

Just my opinion and experience if it helps....go get an extended test!

Cheers

AberdeenMini
29th May 2004, 10:30 PM
Cheers for your feedback guys. Im sticking with my Cooper for now, im more than happy with it plus the 'S' was just too expensive as well.