PDA

View Full Version : Restoring faded trim

lowrider
19th September 2009, 09:06 PM
Hello all

I have been so busy lately that my mini has been getting neglected :frown: resulting in my exterior trim/arches becoming faded. I have bought some Chemical Guys trim restorer gel and have some Auto Glym Tar Remover to strip the trim prior to applying the restorer. Could any of you expert detailers advise me on the best way to go about preparing my exterior trim and apply the restorer.

Thanks in advance :thumbs up:

Smitty
19th September 2009, 11:55 PM
Do you mean the black arch trims?

If so, what you really need is some Black WOW! The stuff is excellent - brings any of my black plastic back to pristine condition. :yes nod:

ianking
20th September 2009, 11:34 AM
Ive tried most of the products on the market and I would have to say that for me I prefer chemicals guys gel.

stoney
20th September 2009, 11:52 AM
i have the cem guys gell and realy like it

KenL
20th September 2009, 03:15 PM
i have the cem guys gell and realy like it

I am planning on buying this stuff if not too expensive.

I have tried a lot of others and never been that happy. Would say Autoglym is OK but you really need to spend ages working it in.

To Lowrider - I am not sure I would use a tar remover on it first. That might make it look really white.

A clay bar (even an old used piece) might be a better bet for removing tar.

lowrider
20th September 2009, 04:03 PM
The black arches and black bumper trim is what I am trying to improve. I am looking for advice on what to use to strip the trim of dirt (I know I will need to wash it first!) wax etc before applying the Chemical Guys restorer and the best method of applying the restorer for a quality finish.
Cheers.

GCA3N
20th September 2009, 07:40 PM
Ive tried most of the products on the market and I would have to say that for me I prefer chemicals guys gel.

I have tried loads of stuff too, and easily the best I have used is the chemical guys stuff. The only other one comparible is black WOW, but at about £19 a bottle (and not a big bottle) it is expensive. Chemical guys stuff is (if my memory is correct) around £12 I think, but worth every penny. Trust me if Ian says is , then it is.

lowrider
21st September 2009, 08:27 PM
The black arches and black bumper trim is what I am trying to improve. I am looking for advice on what to use to strip the trim of dirt (I know I will need to wash it first!) wax etc before applying the Chemical Guys restorer and the best method of applying the restorer for a quality finish.
Cheers.

Come on detailers, furnish with your methods!

GCA3N
21st September 2009, 08:51 PM
Cheers.

Like you say good wash first, then do ant detailing to the body work ie wax etc. I then use a micro fibre cloth and apply the gel, not to thick and really work it in. After about 30 mins take another dry microfibre cloth and buff off the excess. This bit is really important in means if sorry when it rains it won't leave run marks on the trim. I try and buff it 2-3 times and it really lasts. Hope this helps.

lowrider
22nd September 2009, 05:51 PM
Just what I was looking for , thanks. :thumbs up:

lowrider
6th October 2009, 08:23 PM
Finally got round to treating the trim/arches. Chemical Guy's gel is a top product. It brought the trim back to new and was easy to apply. I had forgot how good my cooper could look.

Thanks for the advice:thumbs up:

GCA3N
7th October 2009, 08:15 AM
Finally got round to treating the trim/arches. Chemical Guy's gel is a top product. It brought the trim back to new and was easy to apply. I had forgot how good my cooper could look.

Thanks for the advice:thumbs up:

Told you, it really is the dogs..... Remember and buff the trim as much as possible. If it rains, sorry when it rains if you get runs lines just buff again and they will disappear.

lowrider
8th October 2009, 07:59 PM
Nice tip :thumbs up: