PDA

View Full Version : Mini Exhaust

doogz__
17th September 2009, 03:26 PM
Just read something interesting online about MINI exhausts.

So ten points to the first person that can tell me why the tailpipes on One's and Cooper's are the shape that they are.

And apologies if this has been covered before, i just thought it was quite interesting!

Craig
17th September 2009, 03:32 PM
would this be what your referring to? ;):thumbs up:

The exhaust layouts are different as well. The COOPER has two silencers (one in the middle, one under the boot) the ONE has only one (maybe that's where its name comes from ) under the boot - not very ideal in regards of exhaust flow.
If you would fit a ONE exhaust on a COOPER it probably would have less power.
The sound of the COOPER exhaust is IMO much better than that of the ONE.

doogz__
17th September 2009, 03:35 PM
Not the answer i was after. The One and Cooper have similar tail pipes iirc? Obviously the centre exit "S" is different.

But why is the Cooper and One tailpipe the shape that it is? Never noticed there's a sort of lip around the pipe?

Forbes
17th September 2009, 03:53 PM
Budweiser can?

doogz__
17th September 2009, 03:59 PM
Bingo.

The team of designers working on the 2001 Mini had finished the full-sized clay mock-up of the Mini in plenty of time for a presentation for the board of directors. Chief designer Frank Stephenson realised that the model did not have an exhaust pipe. His short-term solution was to pick up an empty beer can, punch a hole in it, strip off the paint and push it into the clay at the back of the car, which took just a few minutes. The overall design for the mock-up was so good that the board members told him not to change a thing, resulting in the distinctive exhaust tip seen in production cars.

I thought that was pretty cool.

ianking
17th September 2009, 04:22 PM
yeah but remember that the R50 one has a different tail pipe end from the R50 Cooper.

The Cooper actually has a finisher that can be removed when undoing the screw underneith.

The bud can would make sense for the cooper.

Ally S
18th September 2009, 09:08 PM
hehe, that is quite cool