PDA

View Full Version : Reg Plates

Sheilz
16th September 2009, 08:11 PM
This prob sounds daft but where can I get plates made in Abz? I got previous ones off the internet but now seems I need to send off original docs and not keen on doing that. Another quesiton is it really necessary to have the name of the supplier on the bottom of the plate or would I get off with my own script as long as the rest of the plate is standard such as a fairly bog standard show plate? How pedantic are the police about slight abberations from the overly prescriptive legislation ( I think it is anyway)?

KenL
16th September 2009, 08:35 PM
This prob sounds daft but where can I get plates made in Abz? I got previous ones off the internet but now seems I need to send off original docs and not keen on doing that. Another quesiton is it really necessary to have the name of the supplier on the bottom of the plate or would I get off with my own script as long as the rest of the plate is standard such as a fairly bog standard show plate? How pedantic are the police about slight abberations from the overly prescriptive legislation ( I think it is anyway)?

Can't help with buying plates but I expect whether you get pulled or not depends on the police officers who see you. Around here I see loads of plates which clearly defy the law, these are obviously not being picked up by the police.

On the other hand, my ex-neighbour put a plate on their car with a fancy (no really stupid font). They were stopped within a few days and given a ticking off and told to remove it. About 3 months later they put them back on again and were again stopped within a few days. This time she was given a fine and told if it happened again the registration would be removed from them.

You might want to look at this before you go ahead: http://www.dvlni.gov.uk/vehicles/vehicle_forms/V796.pdf

KenL
16th September 2009, 08:38 PM
Just re-read your post.

If you are saying can you just not have the suppliers post code on the bottom? I doubt this would be a problem.

If you look at the offences it only mentions altering the text and moving characters into the wrong group.

Craig
16th September 2009, 09:32 PM
Sheilz,

it really all depends on how pedantic the local bobby wants to be. I have plates which are technically illegal - this is because

1 - the letters being carbon look, but the correct size and spacing
2 - no postcode of the place that issued them
3 - a non approved flag on the left side of the plate
4 - not enough room around the main letters (as some of the text is too close)

As I say, the biggest problem a bobby will have is the size/shape and spacing of your plates. Only once they are REALLY close do they get picky. ;)

Also my car sits right outside the Traffic bobby's office nearly every day and they haven't mentioned it. (Also got pulled a couple of weeks ago for no insurance, but thats another story... :eek::Whistle:)

GCA3N
16th September 2009, 09:44 PM
Tut tut craig naughty boy.

Try to remember my police training. Like previously said the legislation behind number plates is strict but as long as you not ott then you normally get away with it. There a few things that are important and that is font and spacing. I had my plate originally as GCA3N instead of GCA 3N and it failed an mot. Police in certain areas are more strict than others what I would suggest to anyone is have a legal set to hand in the car and if you get stopped then you will just have to change them. I have known people to get caught after being stopped on the same day and been fined. Hope this helps.

Sheilz
16th September 2009, 10:25 PM
Thank you. It does help. Have been stopped before for having no space between S and 9 but pled ignorance, LOL blamed my loons for telling me it was ok :blush: Am just planning to have ordinary lettering and spacing but wanted a different flag and had thought of putting 'Happiness is running over a traffic warden's foot' on bottom (Hope there's no traffic wardens here), Got a bee in my bonnet about that lot. Got three parking tickets this week. In my usual space with permit for specy displayed and notice in window saying I was waiting for certificate from DVLA for that reg to be transferred, as we've been instructed if driving another vehicle. Surely some new geezer on the round eager to prove himself or increase his bonus. M reckons that some might not appreciate the humour so just planning to put Dougall's name on it.
That's six tickets they've given me this year for things like that. Get's well annoying so not just a fan of traffic wardens. Anyway I'll take the risk since everything else in the plate will be correct.

Scottie
16th September 2009, 10:28 PM
I got mine through ebay. They made a good job of them and not to many £££
if you want a link to them pm me and I'll send it to you.

weefossy
16th September 2009, 10:48 PM
There are new rules out about supplying number plates, which Mom has to deal with at local garage. Customers she has known for years with personal plates still have to produce original documents. Obviousley all to do with car fraud and people clonning car ids.
Bit of a pain.

Delboy
16th September 2009, 11:31 PM
I recently used "no1showplates.co.uk" for mine and there was no need to supply documentation. They have legal 3D lettering and spacing, and a legal flag but no address/postcode. Quality is excellent and delivery was quick.

GCA3N
17th September 2009, 08:56 AM
Making of plates (with the exception of show plates, which by law are not allowed to be used on the public road) should normally always be done with the V5 document, but in this country we are way behind other countries in Europe. In certain countries there are only one distributer of plates and they are regulated by the goverment which means they are very hard to counterfeit well. Because we are so relaxed about the whole thing then car cloning is very easy. I went into Halfords (who are a registered maker of legitimate plates) asked the guy for GCA3N, he said "do you have the V5" I said "no", so he said "ok what do you want and how do you want it spaced" I mean these are the professionals so goodness knows what the cowboys get upto.

Hamish
17th September 2009, 09:23 AM
hey, I used demon plates for mine Sheilz, to be honest, I kept mine 100% legal apart from the script along the bottom. http://www.demonplates.com/

I cant be bothered with the hassle of being stopped to remove and sort the plates, or risk them taking a plate from me!

I would hope that no-one would bother about the script along the bottom being personalised, no problems so far with it.

I never had to show any documentation, but if you have to, then I'd probably do what your suggesting and buy 'show plates' but get the actual no. plate to be legal and add whatever you want along the bottom.

Hope that helps too. :D

GCA3N
17th September 2009, 09:37 AM
hey, I used demon plates for mine Sheilz, to be honest, I kept mine 100% legal apart from the script along the bottom. http://www.demonplates.com/

I cant be bothered with the hassle of being stopped to remove and sort the plates, or risk them taking a plate from me!

I would hope that no-one would bother about the script along the bottom being personalised, no problems so far with it.

I never had to show any documentation, but if you have to, then I'd probably do what your suggesting and buy 'show plates' but get the actual no. plate to be legal and add whatever you want along the bottom.

Hope that helps too. :D

Thank goodness your race car does'nt have plates, you'd have used a few by now eh:lol:

Sorry ( :off topic:) by the way Hamish not been upto see you recently, the new life style makes it somewhat harder, you settled in now, when's the first podium finish planned, i know you mentioned "leading them all into a false sense of security" but the season's nearly over time to let them all know what your capable off. :lol:

Hamish
17th September 2009, 10:45 AM
Haha, I've been through my share of 'Yokohama' sponsors plates mate!!! hahaha.

False sense of security??? No, I should have said, I'm gonna go even slower and let the top boys get close to lapping me, but to some non observant spectators it may look like I crossed the finish line 1st hahaha!!!

Its goin well mate, I'll need to give you a shout for a catch up... been ages!!!

Forbes
17th September 2009, 11:11 AM
1 - the letters being carbon look, but the correct size and spacing

Also got pulled a couple of weeks ago for no insurance, but thats another story... :eek::Whistle:

1- Carbon letters are ok, Halfords make legal plates and they do carbon letters

So did I, but they knew I had insurance before I produced my insurance certificate and even told me who I was with:ragin:

Craig
17th September 2009, 11:39 AM
1- Carbon letters are ok, Halfords make legal plates and they do carbon letters

So did I, but they knew I had insurance before I produced my insurance certificate and even told me who I was with:ragin:

Hmmm - will agree to disagree on the carbon letters, the local bobby's at my work say they would give you a ticket for it normally, but as Greig has said, there are differences with every force..

I got pulled as I had put on my reg plate on the sat of the bank holiday and my insurance company was closed. On my way to work, got passed by a traffic motor who did a quick u-turn and chased after me as ANPR had the car down as no insurance. Was totally my fault, but they were nice enough to give me a couple of days to prove it was insured. :thumbs up:

Forbes
17th September 2009, 11:48 AM
Hmmm - will agree to disagree on the carbon letters, the local bobby's at my work say they would give you a ticket for it normally, but as Greig has said, there are differences with every force..

Not sure then, must just be a iffy area I have had them on for 2years and never had a problem. Also under the impression though that it was legal text style (interms of carbon fiber was legal).

GCA3N
17th September 2009, 12:22 PM

I got pulled as I had put on my reg plate on the sat of the bank holiday and my insurance company was closed. On my way to work, got passed by a traffic motor who did a quick u-turn and chased after me as ANPR had the car down as no insurance. Was totally my fault, but they were nice enough to give me a couple of days to prove it was insured. :thumbs up:

Sure It was'nt the dodgy car and driver, lets be honest from a distance you have got that 'young' ned boy look:lol::p

Craig
17th September 2009, 02:41 PM
Sure It was'nt the dodgy car and driver, lets be honest from a distance you have got that 'young' ned boy look:lol::p

:moonie: you do know I have now passed on your details to my friends... ;):clap:

GCA3N
17th September 2009, 02:50 PM
:moonie: you do know I have now passed on your details to my friends... ;):clap:

Think you'll find I'm on the system already.

GCA3N
17th September 2009, 02:50 PM
Oh did say "YOUNG ned boy look" has to be worth something.:lol:

Craig
17th September 2009, 02:59 PM
Think you'll find I'm on the system already.

depends what "system" your referring too.... :lol::laugh:

Oh did say "YOUNG ned boy look" has to be worth something.:lol:

ok, I'll give you ned... :yes nod::laugh:

GCA3N
17th September 2009, 04:02 PM
depends what "system" your referring too....

now now, don't go there that was thrown out of court due to lack of evidence.
Besides she looked alot older.:eek::lol:

Craig
17th September 2009, 04:08 PM
now now, don't go there that was thrown out of court due to lack of evidence.
Besides she looked alot older.:eek::lol:

PMSL... :laugh: what other markers you got... :lol:

Forbes
17th September 2009, 04:33 PM

Halfords and Auto-save Are £17ish pounds a pair. (Hide there name but is there)

John Clark was £22 for a pair

Sheilz
17th September 2009, 10:12 PM
Halfords and Auto-save Are £17ish pounds a pair. (Hide there name but is there)

John Clark was £22 for a pair

Cheers Ben. Will they do a different flag and own script for me?

Forbes
17th September 2009, 11:04 PM
Will they do a different flag and own script for me?

Halfords do the EU sign but think that is it. Legally you can't have your own writing anymore on the bottom if that is what you mean, places refuse to do it.

Need to get a show (illegal) plate online for that am afraid

Rules on the plates tightened up last year:frown:

leighj
17th September 2009, 11:26 PM
Hey
I've used demon plates before, theyre good.
I also went to a shop in Leslie, think its Leslie car parts or something to get my illegal plates made up. The only thing he said to me was that if i got stopped by the police i couldnt blame him cause i knew they were illegal lol
The lettering is fine its just the spacing that is wrong, instead of it reading L18 GHJ it reads L18GH J. I also have my name written underneath too. Also have the scottish flag at the side too
Had the plates for over 2 years now, and not been stopped (well i was told casually by a policeman to get them changed but he didnt take any details etc)
I always take them off and put my legal ones back on when its MOT time cause i know it will fail for it.
I've actually been pretty lucky not to have been stopped, everytime i see a jammer i think im gonna get stopped!

GCA3N
18th September 2009, 09:03 AM
Hey
I've used demon plates before, theyre good.
I also went to a shop in Leslie, think its Leslie car parts or something to get my illegal plates made up. The only thing he said to me was that if i got stopped by the police i couldnt blame him cause i knew they were illegal lol
The lettering is fine its just the spacing that is wrong, instead of it reading L18 GHJ it reads L18GH J. I also have my name written underneath too. Also have the scottish flag at the side too
Had the plates for over 2 years now, and not been stopped (well i was told casually by a policeman to get them changed but he didnt take any details etc)
I always take them off and put my legal ones back on when its MOT time cause i know it will fail for it.
I've actually been pretty lucky not to have been stopped, everytime i see a jammer i think im gonna get stopped!

To be honest unless you get an anal cop, ie traffic department, most won't bother, they do care though if it is hard to read, spacing is'nt too bad. We had a couple in Largs that used the screws to change letters (eg L to a U or F to an E etc) and they got told to replace them. Then there's the dodgy script writing I mean (and I am sorry if anyone has this, well i'm not really) it just looks terrible and you can't even read what it is supposed to say.
There is a couple of good examples down our way though, L11RGS looks like LARGS (when he had the screw to make the 11 looke like A, now it just reads L11 RGS, not so cool. We also have US 1, very nice, and 001 (my fav) Also have MAR10, well seen it in Ayrshire and Glasgow, needless to say he looked Italian.

Gismo
18th September 2009, 09:06 AM
What gets me is that folks are happy to post on a public forum that they have illegal plates ;)

GCA3N
18th September 2009, 10:36 AM
What gets me is that folks are happy to post on a public forum that they have illegal plates ;)

Not exactly crime of the century Alan. Don't think the police will be filtering your site and arranging morning raids on all those offenders. I realise it is still an offence but, and let's be honest here, false plates don't kill, speeding does, and we are all guilty of that, are we not. :Whistle:

Gismo
18th September 2009, 10:53 AM
Not exactly crime of the century Alan. Don't think the police will be filtering your site and arranging morning raids on all those offenders. I realise it is still an offence but, and let's be honest here, false plates don't kill, speeding does, and we are all guilty of that, are we not. :Whistle::Whistle:

KenL
18th September 2009, 05:41 PM
Not exactly crime of the century Alan.

Oh yes it is :hand:

Stewart
19th September 2009, 06:09 PM
3 - a non approved flag on the left side of the plate.

I just had to have my scots flag.

Sheilz
19th September 2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks Fiona, have ordered my plates. Cheapest price for what I wanted. Some sites looking for thirty quid instead of under twenty.

Have never had a flag on my plates before so this time going to have an illegal Scottish one. Why on earth any national flag is illegal is just :nag::argh:. Have kept font and spacing legal but added my own script. Would imagine the local constabulary have better things to be thinking about than my number plates.
Thanks for the help. :thumbs up:

Stewart
20th September 2009, 10:14 AM
Also have MAR10, well seen it in Ayrshire and Glasgow, needless to say he looked Italian.

Yeah Mario lives around shawlands, seen it on a few cars.

My actual plates must be cheep, they only cost me £6. Think I'll get the EU one next year if I take the car abroad. Quite fancy doing the Ferry from Rosyth then doing the WWII beaches etc.

Sheilz
21st September 2009, 11:33 PM
I wuz robbed. Got my number transferred today. Since plates hadn't arrived went to Halfords for some bog standard ones. Stung me 27 quid. How sleekit is it saying prices start at 13.99 no mention that this is just for one. To add insult to injury was offered a union jack but no saltire as they've to be ordered. I mean in Aberdeen what the feck's that about? Am defo on the slippery slope to becoming a crabbit aul wifie.

GCA3N
21st September 2009, 11:35 PM
Oh yes it is :hand:

Get a life dude :p

Forbes
21st September 2009, 11:49 PM
Would have been cheaper at JCs

Sheilz
22nd September 2009, 01:45 AM
Would have been cheaper at JCs

I remember that being part of my rant at the hapless guy who'd to break the news to me :blush:

Forbes
22nd September 2009, 09:13 AM
If it is worth anything the JC plates are basic