PDA

View Full Version : Renault F1 Saga...

Smitty
16th September 2009, 12:39 PM
Breaking News (http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/9/9940.html)

This is massive! I seriously thought it was just young Piquet on a bit of a tantrum after getting the boot but clearly not if Flav and Pat have packed it in. :eek: :eek:

Could this be in the end of Renault in F1? I would think so.

One thing is for certian - Alonso will not be at Renault next year, so we may see him confirmed for Ferrari sonner, rather than later.

baptie
16th September 2009, 12:54 PM
ah well, that screams guilty!!!!!

Team orders Ahoy

The Dogfather
16th September 2009, 01:06 PM
Couldn't believe it :eek:

Craig
16th September 2009, 01:26 PM
holy sheet...! :thud:

that is NOT good for the sport (the cheating that is) and another manufacturer out of F1 can't help. Look whats happened to WRC and BTCC... Less car makers makes it less exciting IMHO. :frown:

euan
16th September 2009, 01:30 PM
Well, that's BMW got their entry back.

Shocking really, though is anyone going to be that surprised if Flabio is a bit dodgy? Feel sorry for Pat Symonds though. My money is that there is a deal so Renault get off a bit lightly and bugger off at the end of the season. In saying that, Max has been out to get Flabio for a while as he was leading the push to get rid of Max and the breakaway. I guess he'll be happy now.

Of course, what should happen is a $100M fine and thrown out of the constructors championship. I'd put a large bet that won't happen.

Delboy
16th September 2009, 03:25 PM
:eek: That is incredible! Renault surely must be disqualified for the remainder of the season.......and perhaps beyond.

zimbo
16th September 2009, 04:51 PM
:Whistle: yup the s*** has well and truelly hit the fan now.... :popcorn::popcorn: now just gotta sit patiently and wait and see what happens at the hearing.

Smitty
17th September 2009, 12:59 PM
Statements and Meeting Transcripts (http://axisofoversteer.com/blog/documents/Fit%20Of%20PK.pdf)

Makes for interesting reading - espcially the interview between the FIA advisor and Pat Symonds as well as Nelson's telementry.

I'm still in shock!! :eek:

euan
17th September 2009, 03:44 PM
That document is fairly damning!

Shocking really. I mean, what does Symonds think he's doing???

Forbes
21st September 2009, 11:03 PM
Basically no action taken. Well 2year suspended punishement. Bit unfair I think.

Flavio is banned from F1 forever and Pat Simmons for 5years.

Piquet will be lucky to get such a good drive again

euan
22nd September 2009, 08:56 AM
I'm in two minds about this outcome.

Mad Max has got rid of Flabio which was always his aim, and screwed him royally for driver management and for his football interests. Max will be pleased with this.

As for the punishment, while no figures have been mentioned I'll bet Renault paid a decent sum to the FIA Safety Measures, multiple millions anyway.

The difference between this and McLaren is that Renault said they were guilty and took action before going to the WMSC. McLaren stood by their man and the cost of that was the £50M fine and disqualification. It could be argued that Ron didn't know anything about the data but that's old ground.

Renault are big motorsport company and have invested millions in it via GP2, F3, F1. The FIA wouldn't have wanted to lose that, while trying to appear fair. Is it fair? Depends on the financial contribution.

You also wonder that without the safety car Massa woulnd't have given us the comedy moment in the pits with his fuel rig, and would have taken 2nd place in the race and probably won the championship...

Smitty
22nd September 2009, 09:47 AM
Like Euan - i'm also in 2 minds...

Flavio and Pat have been chucked and deservedly so. But to only give the Renault team a 2 year “suspended” sentence is to say that it was only the 2 big wigs in on the conspiracy – which I don’t believe for 1 minute! I know why they haven’t done it – the FIA and Max don’t want to loose another big manufacturer. The reality is that Renault will probably pull out anyway as there name will have been seriously tarnished as a result!

To think that Mclaren for shafted with a £50million fine and thrown out of the constructors championship for “spygate” and Renault have pretty much been let off the hook for blatantly cheating to influence the race result and forcing a driver to put himself at risk….it’s a joke really!

I'm also pretty confused as to why Alonso hasn't been stripped of his race win. Fair enough - he may not have known about the decision (which I'm dubious of), but he was driving a Renault :frown:

Big Gordy
22nd September 2009, 09:53 AM
It all smells a bit 'iffy' to me:ragin:No consistency in the punishments:frown:

euan
22nd September 2009, 10:58 AM
Thing is Renault have been here before - they had McLaren data and didn't get punished as they co-operated. As has Alonso - he got off with his role in shopping Ron Denis for the spygate data even though he knew about it and

The Dogfather
22nd September 2009, 11:14 AM
I love F1, not for just for the racing but for the duplicity in its rules. Might be a shame when Max goes as it might become fair and open.

Big Gordy
22nd September 2009, 11:32 AM
Might be a shame when Max goes as it might become fair and open.

If Ari Vatinen gets in then yes but if Todd gets in then it will be just more of the same:Whistle:

C.Noble
22nd September 2009, 01:44 PM
... But to only give the Renault team a 2 year “suspended” sentence is to say that it was only the 2 big wigs in on the conspiracy – which I don’t believe for 1 minute! ....

I think it most likely that only Pat, Flav and Piquet Jnr and maybe Snr were in on this, too risky to let anyone else in on it, remember there is a multi-million dollar reward for any whistle blowers in F1 offered by the FIA (not that Piquet Jnr will qualify as he was complicet in the crime) so you wouldnt risk that info on a lowly engineer and I would be VERY surprised if the big guns at Renault themselves would even understand the first thing that goes on in the strategy of a grand prix, let alone attend any of the meetings.

... I'm also pretty confused as to why Alonso hasn't been stripped of his race win. Fair enough - he may not have known about the decision (which I'm dubious of), but he was driving a Renault :frown:

If they strip him of his race win, it would open a horrible can of worms where lawsuits fly in all directions over who actually won the 2008 drivers championship... I dont think anyone, including Massa would want that.

I dont like Alonso, not that keen on Pat Symonds either for that matter, but I think they have been caught up in this one, I can see Pat being pushed into this one by Flav, who is an interesting man, and I think F1 will miss him, but I wouldnt trust him as far as I could comfortably fit Italy up his left nostril. But I suppose Max can retire now a happy man.

I believe there are no winners and only losers in this one, once again doubt has been cast over someones championship crown, as much as I am no L.Hamilton fan, must be horrible to think that people will now always question whether or not he deserved it.

I have to say I am disgusted at Piquet Jnr and Snr over this too though, no matter how you argue it, they are at best cheats, and at worst, blackmailing cheats, at least Jnr was young enough to claim inexperience as a defence, but Snr has dropped a sport that made him the man he is today, right into the brown stuff!

Sorry Mr Gordy, I got on ma soap box again :nag:... you may shout at me now :sad:

euan
22nd September 2009, 02:25 PM
Agree that Piquets (both) don't come out of this well. Jnr should have stood up to the team, even if it cost him his seat, at least he could sleep at night.

Snr seems to be so consumed with reliving his career through his son that he's actually to close to it. He did well to get into F1, and I dont think he's a bad driver, but one who was treated badly by his team (outside of this issue). But who'd take a punt on him now in F1?

James Allen has written a very interesting piece on his blog about this:LINK (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2009/09/piquet-sorry-about-that-now-who-wants-to-hire-me/)

Big Gordy
22nd September 2009, 02:41 PM
Sorry Mr Gordy, I got on ma soap box again :nag:... you may shout at me now :sad:

I think you've missed your vocation Craig:laugh: You should have your own column:computer:

zimbo
22nd September 2009, 02:58 PM
It all smells a bit 'iffy' to me:ragin:

Im with you on this Gordy, there is just something not quite right about this whole thing... :Whistle:

Craig
22nd September 2009, 04:25 PM
I think you've missed your vocation Chris:laugh: You should have your own column:computer:

you mean Craig... :rolleyes::laugh:

Big Gordy
22nd September 2009, 04:28 PM
Ooooops:blush:

baptie
22nd September 2009, 05:49 PM
James Allen states that Piquet Snr told Charlie Whiting last year that the crash what his son had done, Charlie asked for for a written statement.

After this years F1 was looking really good, first time I have enjoyed nearly all races.
Kinda liked Flav for his flamboyant attitude.

Better to punt Max n Wee Berny I say!