PDA

View Full Version : MINI vs the TT

The Dogfather
15th September 2009, 09:48 PM
I've waited until the new car excitement thing died down before posting but I thought I would share my thoughts on how the MINI and the TT stack up. For those of you who don't know I own a 09 Plate TT TDI Quattro and my MINI is a 58 plate Cooper S Clubbie.

Both are standard apart from seriously uprated stereos, OK, the MINI has recently had some drastic interior changes but that's for another thread when its finished.

So, the verdict. The TT is a far better car than the MINI in so many ways - better handling, more grip, faster, better ride, better build quality, it looks better as well.

So does that mean the TT has taken the place of my MINI in my affections? Well, to be honest it hasn't :eek: eh?

To be honest the TT is too good, it lacks the drama of the MINI. I'm sure there's understeer and lift off oversteer in there somewhere but you'd have to be doing silly speeds to find them. With the MINI its possible to run right up to the limit, poke it in the eye and run off into the distance without putting yourself drastically in harms way.

So how do I choose which car to take, well if I'm going on a journey then I'd go in the Audi, but in I'm going for a drive then I'd pick the MINI.

Just thought I'd share...

GCA3N
15th September 2009, 09:57 PM
I totally love this. Was smiling Reading every word. You know you should send that to an advertising company. You are so right, just after I came out of the mini dealership after test driving the most expensive car I was about to buy, I came home and looked on piston heads for cars around the 16-18k mark. I couldn't believe what I could buy with that kind of money, nice elise, m3, golf gti and the list goes on. But every time I pondered and thought what about that I came up with the same answer it's not a mini and I would have missed that so much. Mini ownership is unique, it's not the best the fastest the best looking but it has the biggest heart and makes me feel bloody brill when I drive it. Mon the mini.

Smitty
15th September 2009, 10:06 PM
Great write up. :thumbs up:

Despite never driving a TT, i'm pretty sure I would agree with everything you say (and what Greig says above) other than looks - but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and too one person a car may look amazing, but to another it may look pig ugly - looks of a car cannot be compared rationally like other variables (performance, handling, economy, comfort etc).

So what do I think the selling point is on the MINI?

I think its the uniqueness and the customization options. I love the fact that I have never seen a car that looks like mine - I've seen one's close, but they always have slighty different combination of options - whether that be different colour of roof, wing mirrors, wheels, lights etc.

There is no other car out there on the market which is so popular where that would be the case! I bet you see quite a lot of TT's that look identical in every way to yours, but less MINI's that are even close?

And there is one more thing....

The community and the same passion the majority of MINI drivers share for their car. You can't beat it :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
15th September 2009, 10:06 PM
The MINI is very like the MX5, just about right for British roads

Just Jade
15th September 2009, 10:09 PM
I'm having the same dilema atm. I'm just about to buy a new mini, but then I start to think its a LOT of money for a wee car when there's such a choice out there! But just like you say..... a mini has that special 'something'. I've thought about a TT, infact only this morning before going to work I was looking at them but I know no matter what car I bought, my heart wouldn't be in it because its not a mini ;)

GCA3N
15th September 2009, 10:12 PM
I'm having the same dilema atm. I'm just about to buy a new mini, but then I start to think its a LOT of money for a wee car when there's such a choice out there! But just like you say..... a mini has that special 'something'. I've thought about a TT, infact only this morning before going to work I was looking at them but I know no matter what car I bought, my heart wouldn't be in it because its not a mini ;)

Yeeeeeeh. :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
15th September 2009, 10:46 PM
I suppose I'm in the fortunate position in that our mini is our 2nd car and probable won't sell it....EVER:smilewinkgrin: I too have the TT in the mix when I eventually replace the A4:yes nod: It's still a toss up between the Scirocco and the TT:clap:

Forbes
15th September 2009, 10:49 PM
Scirrocco any day. They look awesome

The Dogfather
16th September 2009, 12:15 AM
I suppose I'm in the fortunate position in that our mini is our 2nd car and probable won't sell it....EVER:smilewinkgrin: I too have the TT in the mix when I eventually replace the A4:yes nod: It's still a toss up between the Scirocco and the TT:clap:

Drove the Scirocco, wasn't impressed. TT is much better IMO

KenL
16th September 2009, 07:59 AM
Nice write up.

The TT looks fantastic. I am also a fan of the Scirocco. Was thinking about one of those next until I spotted my S with a ~£2.5k saving. So glad I bought it now.

ianking
16th September 2009, 08:37 AM
I get to drive my Dads new shape TT Cabrio quite regularly.
His is the petrol turbo.

I would agree that it is a far better built car than the MINI. Its my Dads 2nd TT and he has never had any problems from either. Not even a rattle.
Only thing im not keen on with the Audi, but my Dad loves it is the flat bottom steering wheel.

My Dad still enjoys taking the JCW for a run though :D.

Delboy
16th September 2009, 08:37 AM
Very good post Dogfather - made for an interesting read :thumbs up:. I think the TT looks great and it would be nice to have a choice like your's each morning for the drive to work :cool:.

I'm wondering though if your TT was a more powerful petrol version whether you would still feel the same?

Crombers
16th September 2009, 08:54 AM
I suppose I'm in the fortunate position in that our mini is our 2nd car and probable won't sell it....EVER:smilewinkgrin:

That's ma boy :thumbs up:

My MINI is also my 2nd car & I won't sell it ever either :D

Unfortunatley my daily hack is a Ferrari Punto & apart from being utterly reliable & doing 'everything it says on the tin', it is mind numbingly boring :yawn:

My better half drives a Fiesta Zetec TDCi (which has everything in it but it too is never gonna get my hairs on end) & i'll probably inherit that when the time comes for Karen to get a new car.

I do have one 'ace' up my sleeve in a few years time that will get me back into a MINI showroom, ticking all these options again ;) but due to life's current commitments i.e. bigger house/mortgage, pending wedding & three stepchildren I'm not in the position to visit MINI just yet.

However ................... what this does mean is that when I do get my MINI out of the garage for a weekend drive, I absolutley love it :clap:. It's as if I'm driving a monster compared to my daily drive & that keeps me a happy chappy :thumbs up:

euan
16th September 2009, 08:58 AM
I drove my mates 08 3.2 TT and it was an awesome bit of kit, but like you say it's too easy to ping along at stupid speeds without drama and you'd really need to do something stupid before you'd need to do anything to correct it.

In saying that, the noise from the 3.2 was bloody awesome....

doogz__
16th September 2009, 09:00 AM
I've not driven a diesel TT, nor have a driven a new quattro one.

But i have driven a new 2.0T FWD TT, and it was a horrible car. I mean, it was nice to sit in, horrible to drive, terrible lag, but it wasn't so much the turbo, as it was the fly by wire ecu having to think about everything you tell it to do, before it'll do it, chronic understeer, and until i found the TC button, everytime you understeered (i was playing on some roundabouts) then let the back end come around a bit, the TC cut all power, resulting in oversteer that you could do nothing about.

Obviously, this is all in my opinion. The next time they dished out a courtesy car, it was a RS4. I liked that much more :)

Big Gordy
16th September 2009, 09:06 AM
Drove the Scirocco, wasn't impressed. TT is much better IMO

I didn't really get much of a chance to give the Scirocco the beans when I had a shot as the 'plonker' salesman kept asking me to take it easy:ragin: Not tested a TT yet:Whistle:What's the rear legroom like in the TT Dogfather:confused: Is it better than the mini if a 6'er is driving:rolleyes: When I drive the mini it becomes a 3 seater:blush:

euan
16th September 2009, 09:30 AM
I've had a lift home in my mates one, behind my wife who's 5 foot 5". Legroom was fine, headroom on the other hand...

I had to sit with my head to one side the whole way, and I'm only 5 foot 6". Thank god I was drunk...

The Dogfather
16th September 2009, 09:32 AM
Rear seats are a no no for anything other than small children or shopping.

Doogz, there must have been something wrong with the TT you drove. There's no lag at all on the 2.0T, at least not the one I drove.

Big Gordy
16th September 2009, 09:43 AM
Rear seats are a no no for anything other than small children or shopping.

Mmmmmm...this may turn the tables in the Sciroccos favour then as I do require a 4 seater on the rare occasion:rolleyes:

doogz__
16th September 2009, 10:27 AM
It wasn't turbo lag, it was throttle lag. It was worse than a 1400 mini!

illegalhunter
16th September 2009, 10:34 AM
I havnt driven the derv version but the petrol TT was turly awesome . I wish i could afford one tho

ianking
16th September 2009, 12:52 PM
I dont think there is any lag with my Dads TT.
Mind you were not in the habbit of trying to get our cars to step out going round roundabouts etc.

doogz__
16th September 2009, 01:04 PM
Fly by wire throttle lag has nothing to do with driving quickly round corners.

And before anyone gets all high and mighty on me, it was a private road. And i know people say that, but i was actually on a private road. Which they've now ruined by adding speed bumps, to stop people like me driving on it.

The Dogfather
16th September 2009, 05:36 PM
So in summary what you're saying is the TT is a horrible car to drive because of a split second delay in throttle response, that no one else noticed, and because the in built safety systems have to be switched off before you can drive in a way that would be considered dangerous on public roads?

Just Jade
16th September 2009, 06:43 PM
I didn't really get much of a chance to give the Scirocco the beans when I had a shot as the 'plonker' salesman kept asking me to take it easy:ragin: Not tested a TT yet:Whistle:What's the rear legroom like in the TT Dogfather:confused: Is it better than the mini if a 6'er is driving:rolleyes: When I drive the mini it becomes a 3 seater:blush:

My brothers got a scirocco, I've driven it a few times and its awesome. I love giving it some beans! I've never driven the TT so can't compare them, but I love the look of it ;) But given the choice I'm still going for another mini ....... :D

Here's a pic of my wee mini and the scirocco :D
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/6236/scir1.jpg

camjay
16th September 2009, 07:03 PM
My husband drives a R33 Skyline and it is a brilliant drive. I love taking out for blast, but I'd still have my mini any day.

I know a lot of people would disagree, but I love the nippiness of my mini and when Martin takes it out for a spin, he can't get over the amount of torque it has! Mind you I haven't driven the new GTR yet.......It might change my mind!;)

GCA3N
16th September 2009, 07:39 PM
So in summary what you're saying is the TT is a horrible car to drive because of a split second delay in throttle response, that no one else noticed, and because the in built safety systems have to be switched off before you can drive in a way that would be considered dangerous on public roads?

:laugh::laugh:

doogz__
17th September 2009, 09:02 AM
No. I think you'll find that i commented on the terrible understeer. That has nothing to do with the traction control being on or off.

I think you'll also find that i commented on the TC system potentially hindering control in an accident, which in my eyes, is not terribly clever.

And yes, when i press the throttle pedal, i expect it to work immediately. Not when it feels like it. That's a step backwards from an old fashioned throttle cable, not a step forwards

Now bearing in mind you went out and bought a diesel TT, you'll have to excuse me if i don't actually bother listening to your opinion, it seems there are other things that interest you more about a car, than how it actually drives.

It's no wonder this forum is as quiet as it is, with respect to the number of Mini's out there on the roads, if this is the attitude you have when someone expresses an opinion on a car.

doogz__
17th September 2009, 09:04 AM
Also, many many people have noticed, have a browse about, you'll find that even though they may be slightly older, the pre fly-by-wire mk4 golfs, were much more sought after than the later ones. If you've driven both, feel free to comment, same with the TT's. If not, why don't you stop supposing you know it all, when you clearly don't.

GCA3N
17th September 2009, 09:13 AM
calm down, calm down, Paul is pulling yer plonker, maybe a wee LOL at the end may have been better. Honestly he's just bamming you up. Besides there's nothing quite like agood heated debate, would'nt be much fun if we all liked the same stuff eh.

Wish I could have commented on the TT thing but my other car is a 4x4 Honda, which has no throttle response, or for that matter anything else, however it is very reliable so that's good when your other car's a Mini.:eek:
LOL

doogz__
17th September 2009, 09:17 AM
I'm cranky in the morning til i've had half a dozen cups of coffee or so. Might have spoken out a bit much there :s

The diesel thing annoys me though. I know they are getting much better, and some are as fast as their petrol equivalents (Laura's Dads 3.0TDi A8 is faster than my 3.0 Petrol A4) but i don't care what anyone says, they're not as good to drive.

And i like how you use "heated debate" In other words, i'm an argumentative f*cker. I can't help it.

Big Gordy
17th September 2009, 09:18 AM
Mind you I haven't driven the new GTR yet.......It might change my mind!;)

AWESOME car:cool: One of Ross' mates has one which he's 'tweeked' to over 700bhp:eek: Its a ballistic missile. Think they're going to something at Edinburgh airport in a couple of weeks that involves 'the runway' and 'top speed' :Whistle:

Big Gordy
17th September 2009, 09:27 AM
What I find addictive with the diesel tho is the torque:eek: and the fuel economy of course:rolleyes: On my daily commute of 12 miles I average over 50mpg:thumbs up: You do have to re-calibrate your brain tho when you jump between petrol and diesel:Whistle:

GCA3N
17th September 2009, 09:33 AM
And i like how you use "heated debate" In other words, i'm an argumentative f*cker. I can't help it.

Not at all, there used to be a program on Tv you won't remember it, Mrs Merton, I think. She used to say, "let's have heated debate" All in good humour. I find that when I am typing some thing and re-read it, it sometimes comes out all wrong, that's what's good about the smiles, they can redeem the situation:lol:

doogz__
17th September 2009, 09:47 AM
My Subaru had bags of torque. Pity it only done 15mpg.

Audi's not shy either, but again, p1ss poor economy. But it doesn't just make the low end torque, it makes power over the whole rev range, all the way up to 6.5.

I might be converted one day, but in the mean time, driving our lorry is enough to put me off. Makes peak power at 1500rpm, and redlines at 2500rpm. 6.0 inline 6, 135bhp.

Craig
17th September 2009, 10:12 AM
It's no wonder this forum is as quiet as it is, with respect to the number of Mini's out there on the roads, if this is the attitude you have when someone expresses an opinion on a car.

Always good to have opinions regarding cars plus and minus, however not sure what you mean about the forum:confused::confused:

I reckon this "forum" or "club" as some like to refer to it has an active membership who get out in their cars at least once per month and share their views on their cars, faults fixes etc... Not sure what more you want it to do... ;)

If this is quiet because we don't engage in endless drivel, then that gets my vote.. :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
17th September 2009, 11:43 AM
I might be converted one day, but in the mean time, driving our lorry is enough to put me off. Makes peak power at 1500rpm, and redlines at 2500rpm. 6.0 inline 6, 135bhp.

Not really fair compairing a lorry diesel to a car diesel:frown: Two completely different animals with the means of propulsion being the only link:thumbs up:

Big Gordy
17th September 2009, 11:48 AM
My Subaru had bags of torque

Aye but it probably had 230+ bhp to go along with that:eek:
My 1.9 diesel A4 only has 130bhp so in comparison the torque available is eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenormous:smilewinkgrin:

Smitty
17th September 2009, 12:08 PM
If this is quiet because we don't engage in endless drivel, then that gets my vote.. :thumbs up:

Hmmm, I reckon there is a heavy amount of drivel that comes out of some posts on here. I blame the mods.... :D :p ;) :smilewinkgrin:

The Dogfather
17th September 2009, 12:34 PM
No. I think you'll find that i commented on the terrible understeer. That has nothing to do with the traction control being on or off.

I think you'll also find that i commented on the TC system potentially hindering control in an accident, which in my eyes, is not terribly clever.

And yes, when i press the throttle pedal, i expect it to work immediately. Not when it feels like it. That's a step backwards from an old fashioned throttle cable, not a step forwards

Fair enough, not sure I, others, and the motoring press agree with you but hey each to their own.

Now bearing in mind you went out and bought a diesel TT, you'll have to excuse me if i don't actually bother listening to your opinion, it seems there are other things that interest you more about a car, than how it actually drives.

If you've driven both, feel free to comment, same with the TT's. If not, why don't you stop supposing you know it all, when you clearly don't.

Nice work :clap:, totally over the top response. Might I suggest tranquilizers and a darkened room rather than coffee.

BTW, yes there was a number of reasons why I picked the TDI TT, driving enjoyment was only 1 factor in about 4 or 5. But then again by your own words you've not driven one so what would you know about how it drives?

doogz__
17th September 2009, 12:48 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but it'll be the exact same engine as the mk5 golf.

Which i have driven.

Personally, i pick cars that are first and foremost fun to drive. I commute between half an hour, and an hour each way, every day. If i'm in my car for 2 hours of my day, i want it to be something i enjoy, and i'm happy to pay the price. As you say, each to their own.

And Gordy, i wasn't really being serious comparing the 7.5T truck, to a modern cabrio :p

Big Gordy
17th September 2009, 12:50 PM
And Gordy, i wasn't really being serious comparing the 7.5T truck, to a modern cabrio :p

Jeez....even I knew that:rolleyes::moonie:

Big Gordy
17th September 2009, 12:54 PM
Hmmm, I reckon there is a heavy amount of drivel that comes out of some posts on here. I blame the mods.... :D :p ;) :smilewinkgrin:

I can see 'someones' posts being heavily modded from now on:idea::p

doogz__
17th September 2009, 01:02 PM
Jeez....even I knew that:rolleyes::moonie:

Hope you're not slagging off Skippy!

The Dogfather
17th September 2009, 01:16 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong

I believe the engine is slightly modified in the TT, however the TT is 4WD not 2wd I don't think there's a valid comparison between the TT and a Golf. The Audi 3.0 engine can be found both a Q7 and a A4, don't think they'll drive the same though.

doogz__
17th September 2009, 01:26 PM
The torque delivery and gearing will be the same. I fail to see your point. 4WD or 2WD, it's still the same turbodiesel engine. I wasn't commenting on the handling of the quattro, i was commenting on the 2WD i drove and didn't like.

Just expressing an opinion.

And i'd imagine the delivery of power, and general feel of the engine will be the same in the A4 as the Q7. The ride will be different, sure, but we weren't discussing that.

Big Gordy
17th September 2009, 01:53 PM
They must do something to them tho :eek:
I may be talking rubbish(:moonie:) but does the Scirocco, Golf and Seat not all use the same 2.0l power plant:confused: If this is indeed the case, how come the Seat and the Golf both claim more bhp that the Scirocco:thud:Its only a couple of BHP mind but it is a difference with the same engine:idea: Someone somewhere is doing a bit of 'tweeking':yes nod:

Forbes
17th September 2009, 02:18 PM
They must do something to them tho :eek:
I may be talking rubbish(:moonie:) but does the Scirocco, Golf and Seat not all use the same 2.0l power plant:confused: If this is indeed the case, how come the Seat and the Golf both claim more bhp that the Scirocco:thud:Its only a couple of BHP mind but it is a difference with the same engine:idea: Someone somewhere is doing a bit of 'tweeking':yes nod:

So did the R50 One and Cooper though. Is it maybe to try and boost sales? Or put more between the cars in terms of power differences? Also is the Scirocco not trying to be more green with the R20 rather than the older 3.2lump in it?

Big Gordy
17th September 2009, 02:34 PM
That's slight different tho as the ONE has a different gearbox to the Cooper:thumbs up: I think(?)the engine/gearbox in all the cars mentioned above are exactly the same:Whistle:

Forbes
17th September 2009, 02:36 PM
Ooops. I thought the One was exactly the same as the Cooper just detuned in the factory and usually lower spec.

doogz__
17th September 2009, 02:38 PM
Gearbox has nothing to do with engine power output though. Can make a difference to wheel horse power, but the 1.6's in the early "one's" and "cooper"'s had some differences. I don't know what they were, but 90bhp against 115bhp rings a bell?

Different map, possibly different cams and inlet?

When you're talking about 1 or 2 bhp over 200, things like the positioning of the airbox under the bonnet, heat transfer, dimensions of the exhaust, can make that sort of difference.

The Dogfather
17th September 2009, 02:49 PM
Actually I was responding to your comment about my choice of a diesel TT and how that means that I know nothing about cars, or that my choice doesn't factor in driver enjoyment.

The combination of the quattro, diesel torque and TT chassis all add up to a good drivers car, admitedely more of a GT rather than sprinter but a drivers car nonetheless.

Gordy, as far as I'm aware there are subtle differences between the VAG group engines, also the 2.0 turbo engine has just been heavily revised in the TT.

Craig
17th September 2009, 02:58 PM
Phew, glad thats over... ;)

and hey Marty - your posts will be altered without consultation... :lol:

ianking
17th September 2009, 04:32 PM
Wonderful.

Random question, i've never been to Penicuik, but i don't imagine it's a very big place, don't suppose you know a girl called Michelle Blenkinsop?

Its a reasonable size to be fair. think its about 20k population.

No dont know the name. Im 27 if that helps and went to Penicuik high school.

doogz__
17th September 2009, 04:33 PM
Yeah she went there too, and would have been the year below you. Maybe 2 actually.

Never mind!

Gismo
17th September 2009, 04:34 PM
Let's try to keep on topic and not fall into the personal remark mode.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but personal attacks are not permitted.

ianking
17th September 2009, 04:36 PM
Yeah she went there too, and would have been the year below you. Maybe 2 actually.

Never mind!

Does she know me?

p.s to keep on topic and keep moderators happy, I like MINIs and TTs.

Smitty
17th September 2009, 04:36 PM
and hey Marty - your posts will be altered without consultation... :lol:

I'd expect nothing less :knife: :smilewinkgrin:

The Dogfather
17th September 2009, 06:06 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion

Seeing that you have, sorry had, a great driver's car and a Cooper S, do you not find that despite the M3's superiority the MINI was more fun because you could get to the limit easier on our roads?

Gismo
17th September 2009, 06:12 PM
Seeing that you have, sorry had, a great driver's car and a Cooper S, do you not find that despite the M3's superiority the MINI was more fun because you could get to the limit easier on our roads?Yes :thumbs up: i'd drive the MINI every time

The Dogfather
17th September 2009, 06:42 PM
MINI beats TT and M3 :lol:

Gismo
17th September 2009, 09:33 PM
MINI beats TT and M3 :lol:Sorry, even i can't agree to the TT beating an M3 :moonie: ;)

The Dogfather
18th September 2009, 06:51 AM
<shakes head>

illegalhunter
18th September 2009, 09:41 AM
M3 is the DADDY

antihero3000
18th September 2009, 10:07 AM
I'd definately like to try a tdi in a sports car. My last car was a vag tdi and it was the perfect daily driver although lacking in any real excitement.

Got to agree that the mini is perfect for our roads too. After this weekend i'll have brakes, suspension, wheels and a good bit of power on the car. Adding much more will take away from the fun vs affordability balance which is why I bought it in the first place.

Best to enjoy what you have and get a track car for weekends, thats my next step :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
18th September 2009, 10:37 AM
get a track car for weekends

And watch any funds you thought you had disappear without a trace:eek::Whistle:
I thought Ross' track car was fine the way it was but what do I know:rolleyes: It now has no dash (need to make new one with new dials), new gearbox, new clutch, new wheels, new tyres, the list goes on:argh:

euan
18th September 2009, 10:41 AM
TDI in a sports car is an interesting one. It works in things like the TT as it makes it an option to people who want the economy it offers, while still giving you the looks and at least some of the driving experience as I think my brain wouldn't comprehend the amount of gear changes required (granted, it's torque may mean you don't need to change so often).

In saying that, the big BMW diesels are awesome, but it needs to be the right engine in the right car. The 3.5D twin turbo in the 6 series works because the car is more of a GT than a sports car, but I wonder if it would work in the Z4?

Mind you, who's to say the new R8 diesel won't be awesome. Now that is an intersting car. Would I buy one though? Probably not, as I'd want the noise from the petrol one!

euan
18th September 2009, 10:43 AM
And watch any funds you thought you had disappear without a trace:eek::Whistle:
I thought Ross' track car was fine the way it was but what do I know:rolleyes: It now has no dash (need to make new one with new dials), new gearbox, new clutch, new wheels, new tyres, the list goes on:argh:

Off topic I know, but there is a guy on another forum who did that - started out with a stock 3 series, E46 saloon with a 2.5 six cylinder in it. It now looks like a replica of Winkelhocks BTCC car from when the BTCC was awesome!

T5 anyone? I'd do it :-)

doogz__
18th September 2009, 11:25 AM
I just had a quick shufti on Parkers. I know anything printed on there has to be taken with a pinch of salt, but 167bhp and 7.3 to sixty?

Isn't that substancially slower than a Cooper S? And with 4WD as well, it should be quicker off the line, but will lose more power through the transmission. I'd expect (although i haven't seen figures) that a Cooper S would have opened up a substancial gap by 100mph?

And i know that's not necessarily what the car's all about, as it also apparently does 53 to the gallon, but the OP claimed it was faster? Apparently, my A4 is quicker than the TT? And my car would get hammered in a straight line off ze Mini.

Smitty
18th September 2009, 11:42 AM
And i know that's not necessarily what the car's all about, as it also apparently does 53 to the gallon, but the OP claimed it was faster? Apparently, my A4 is quicker than the TT? And my car would get hammered in a straight line off ze Mini.

But 0-60 isn't always a good measure of perfomance. Infact - 0-60 is a rubbish indicator of performance unless your one for burning away from junctions (or doing a 1/4 mile) - and i'm pretty sure the majority of owners on here aren't one's for that - we like to keep our tyres, clutches and transmission in good nick ;) :p

A good jusdge of performance is (20)30-70 where it really counts - blasting out of corners on twistys, gunning it out of slip roads, ovetaking etc. In that case - I would believe that the TT probably does have a bit more grunt/torque to do that :yes nod:

Also got to remeber that The Dogfather has a Clubman...so it's a touch (not much) slower than a standard S.

doogz__
18th September 2009, 12:05 PM
Well, yes, to an extent, but with all that torque available off the line, and 4WD traction, the 0-60 time should really be one of it's stronger qualities.

Again, i don't have 30-70 times, or any other figures to hand, but with the narrow power band, more weight, less power and more gear changes required, i don't see how the TT would be any quicker through the gears either. I think i may have to blag a test drive of one of these to find out for myself.

The Dogfather
18th September 2009, 01:06 PM
When I said it was faster I didn't mention anything about accelerating. What I meant was if I was driving down the same stretch of twisty road I would be able to do it quicker in the TT.

However seeing that we are talking about acceleration, the TT shows its potential accelerating out of corners/roundabouts in 2nd/3rd/4th gear, especially in the wet. 0 - 60, yes it has grip but first gear goes by too quickly.

Figures don't mean much to me and real life is very different. I quite like having a car that is effortlessly powerful, that's what the TT is. (yes, in the bigger scheme its not that powerful)

The Dogfather
18th September 2009, 01:19 PM
According to the superchips's dyno reports the TT is 180bhp the MINI 175bhp, small difference. Its 370nm vs 256nm as well.

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/VAG20TDiCR170ps.pdf

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/CooperSR56.pdf

euan
18th September 2009, 06:50 PM
According to the superchips's dyno reports the TT is 180bhp the MINI 175bhp, small difference. Its 370nm vs 256nm as well.

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/VAG20TDiCR170ps.pdf

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/CooperSR56.pdf

That's a massive torque curve! No wonder it shifts on back roads with a curve like that, combined with the grip for the 4x4 I'm not surprised the TT would be quicker.

0-60 is a rubbish indicator of how fast a car is as there are many reasons a car may have a slightly slower time - gearing is a key one if you need to grab third to get to 60 you'll have a slower time (unless it's a DSG or something similar).

The Dogfather
18th September 2009, 08:38 PM
If I got the bluefin it would have more torque than my old 3.0 diesel vectra :eek: