PDA

View Full Version : Limited Slip Differential

Kren__
11th September 2009, 02:21 PM
I've done a search on this but can find anything. If I've missed it please point me in the right direction.

Since my Cooper S didn't come with one and you can't get them on 2010 cars (unless it's a JCW) I've been looking at this... Quaife ATB diff.

http://www.birdsauto.com/quaife/model.aspx?make=BMW&s=Mini%20(R56)

Anyone had this fitted or know anyone that has? Or are there better ones out there that I should be looking at.

I'm unlikely to do anything about it soon due to my warranty, but I'm curious as it's a mod I will do eventually. But as I formulate a plan for the car it's something I want to keep in mind as I go along.

Aberdeen Al
11th September 2009, 09:41 PM
I had a Quaiffe ATB fitted to my R53 MCS and it was great addition to the car & getting the power down.

If you're going down this route then consider fitting a new clutch & lightened flywheel too ;)

Kren__
14th September 2009, 08:15 AM
I had a Quaiffe ATB fitted to my R53 MCS and it was great addition to the car & getting the power down.

If you're going down this route then consider fitting a new clutch & lightened flywheel too ;)

Cheers for the feedback. Was speaking to the Dealer in Aberdeen (John Clark) and they reckon they could fit one for me (BMW's own not Quaife) but I don't fancy paying BMW labour rates. But I'm definitely going to add this to my wish list.

RyanK
14th September 2009, 07:49 PM
Would highly recommend the differential. My mini has the oem differential in which does the job, ideally looking into getting a quaife installed next year though. Its the part on the car i love the most. Was down at donington at the weekend with the GP (oem diff) on track and was up the bum of the new style Focus RS's!

do it!

binnie
15th September 2009, 11:31 PM
Anyone had this fitted or know anyone that has?

http://www.tynecastlegarage.co.uk/ :Whistle:

:lol:

doogz__
17th September 2009, 01:00 PM
Lol cheeky!

If you really want a diff, go for a Quaife. The BMW standard item was a cone diff, as opposed to an ATB, like the Quaife. The ATB is really the one to have on a road car. No real maintenance, and good gains to be had. An ATB will still allow a certain amount of spin though, but a plate diff required regular maintenance and servicing, and will probably cost a fair bit more too.

Kren__
21st September 2009, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by binnie

http://www.tynecastlegarage.co.uk/ :Whistle:
:lol:
Shame I'm not local...

Originally Posted by doogz__
If you really want a diff, go for a Quaife. The BMW standard item was a cone diff, as opposed to an ATB, like the Quaife. The ATB is really the one to have on a road car. No real maintenance, and good gains to be had. An ATB will still allow a certain amount of spin though, but a plate diff required regular maintenance and servicing, and will probably cost a fair bit more too.

Good point about the servicing aspect there with plate diffs. Just need to decide if I'm willing to risk my warranty for it.