PDA

View Full Version : Wave goodbye in a flash...

ELFMAN
9th September 2009, 08:46 AM
I've been having an attack of the 'Victor Meldrew's'. Is it just me? Recently I've noticed that hardly anybody in a MINI waves back when you give them a cheery one, and if you flash (the lights...) at them, most almost veer off the road in shock :eek: 'I don't Belieeeeeeeve it!' Anyway, it leaves you feeling at least a bit of a Numpty, and if you're having a bad day - rejected!

I know MINI's not new any more, and it's gone much more 'mainstream' in the last few years, but COME ON!!!! MINI drivers (like we NMS folks - hopefully) are supposed to have a sense of FUN :smilewinkgrin: , a wee bit of 'automotive cameraderie' :thumbs up: and it just brightens up your day when a fellow MINIsta acknowledges your existence :cool::yes nod:

What can we do about it? Keep waving and flashing I suppose, in the vain hope that those who are just discovering MINI actually 'get' why some of us got it back in 2001 :clap:, or that those whose MINI souls have gone 'mainstream' through time will rediscover the magic. By the way, my daft computer at work won't allow me to access the 'Big Wave' symbol... how appropriate is that? :argh::thud:

Crombers
9th September 2009, 09:07 AM
I reckon your right mate, far too mainstream now & long gone are the days of not seeing that many on our roads. I must admit I don't bother unless we are on an NMS run & 20 of us pass another like minded soul & he/she get 20 waves flashes (then they get the message :yes nod:)

When I got my MINI at first I recall mentioning to a couple of folk at work who had MINI's all about NMS & what it was all about. I can remember to well the look on one girls face who stated "jeez it's only a car" :thud:

Kren__
9th September 2009, 09:41 AM
As I'm new to MINIland and haven't even picked mine up yet, I can't comment on MINI waves/flashes.

But from my previous experience with other motors this is a pretty common problem for those of us who love our cars. The sad fact is that even when you have a 'niche' model the majority of people will either not see you, think you're mad :confused: or just stare blankly into the distance as if nobody's actually home.

You have two options, either keep waving at every Tom, Dick and Harry and just get used to the rejection, or give up. I prefer the keep waving option. Eventually if enough of us do it for long enough then we might shame the non-enthusiast drivers out there to respond...

We can start the revolution here ---> :bigwave:

Forbes
9th September 2009, 09:47 AM
They are way too common though. I will let Minis out and cross infront of me. But to wave or flaah at everyone would cause my lights to die in a month with the amount of usage

RyanK
9th September 2009, 09:49 AM
to wave or flaah at everyone would cause my lights to die in a month with the amount of usage

Forbes
9th September 2009, 09:52 AM
What?:popcorn:

ELFMAN
9th September 2009, 02:31 PM
Ryan obviously has a secret - unless he's upset at the thought of wearing them out by Flashing at everybody...

I'm away to wallow in nostalgia and start my book,
'MINI - The Friendly Years'. Or maybe I'll just get a SUNSTRIP that says:
'Wave Back You Miserable B*****d!'

JOHN MILNE
9th September 2009, 03:22 PM
:bigwave:

Burple
9th September 2009, 04:36 PM
Ryan obviously has a secret - unless he's upset at the thought of wearing them out by Flashing at everybody...

I'm away to wallow in nostalgia and start my book,
'MINI - The Friendly Years'. Or maybe I'll just get a SUNSTRIP that says:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/funny-pictures-relevant-to-my-interests.jpg

Sign me up for one of those please!! :laugh::laugh::cool::thumbs up:

Forbes
9th September 2009, 04:48 PM
I'll just get a SUNSTRIP that says:

Do it!!!!!! :thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up::clap::clap::clap:

Craig
9th September 2009, 05:53 PM
aye, I haven't stopped waving since we got our MINI in 2003 and I don't care who doesn't like it..! :clap::clap:

Sheilz
9th September 2009, 07:56 PM
I went to wave to a young man from this site on Saturday as he drove up through Marykirk unfortunately he turned his head away. So if folk on here don't bother then what chance of the wider public? I'll have one of those stickers too ;)

Scottie
9th September 2009, 08:06 PM
I don't bother unless it's a NMS person

Stewart
9th September 2009, 10:02 PM
I looked out my front window and not including my Mini in the drive I could see six Mini’s and its just a normal small street. Three appeared over the last year with neighbours buying them, the other two Mini’s are frequent Visitors and the sixth was a brand new white one that I’ve just found out is the Girl up the roads new car. And just to add insult the guy in the Red Cooper that lives in the next street passed.

I Love My Mini but I wish everyone and there Gran did not have one these days. :frown:

ELFMAN
9th September 2009, 11:38 PM
I'd just like to thank the guy in the smart blue COOPER/S who returned the wave in Ferniegair, Hamilton, tonight on my way home from work - it really cheered me up! Simple things, eh? Good on you mate! Keep the Faith, All is not lost.

Forbes
10th September 2009, 12:36 PM
I went to wave to a young man from this site on Saturday as he drove up through Marykirk unfortunately he turned his head away.

Hope that wasn't me:blush:

weefossy
10th September 2009, 01:14 PM
As a salesman i get paid to handle rejection, so I'll keep on waving :bigwave: I often forget and wave at Minis when I'm driving the beamer :rolleyes:
Maybe we should all buy a new niche mark that's not so common?
Suggestions on a postcard please...........

Kren__
10th September 2009, 01:52 PM
As a salesman i get paid to handle rejection, so I'll keep on waving :bigwave: I often forget and wave at Minis when I'm driving the beamer :rolleyes:
Maybe we should all buy a new niche mark that's not so common?
Suggestions on a postcard please...........

Austin Allegro? Very exclusive these days thanks to the wonders of oxidisation. guffaw. :smilewinkgrin:

john
10th September 2009, 01:53 PM
I was driving Sully's 350Z and spotted another Zed coming the other way and I gave him a wave and he waved back:thumbs up:

I was delighted:D

camjay
10th September 2009, 06:15 PM
I know what you mean, EVERYONE used to acknowledge each other in the early days, but with the amount of minis on the road, it just doesn't happen now! I give a wee smile now and again but get looked at as if I'm mental. :D

PS Mr ELFMAN I've actually waved to you a few times as you have driven passed my house I wasn't in my car, so I don't think you've noticed me - either that or you think I'm some kind of nutter! :bigwave:

Ally S
10th September 2009, 07:51 PM
I pass lots of Minis every day and there is such a variety of drivers from youngs guys and girls to middle aged etc. I'd be waving all the time.

I try to keep an eye out and see if its an enthusiast though.

Sheilz
10th September 2009, 08:33 PM
Hope that wasn't me:blush:

LOL
Not you. Was an infrequent visitor on here. Sometimes in town when traffic is busy can fully understand passing folk and not noticing them till its too late. Done it many times myself. Nope this is on a wee country road on a wee bend just coming out of the village, nae driving fast. Maybe was the pretty girl beside him that distracted. Lets face it if I was twenty something and had the choice of waving to an old biddy or impressing a good looking passenger - well I guess there was no competition ;):laugh::laugh::laugh:

john
10th September 2009, 08:46 PM
LOL
Not you. Was an infrequent visitor on here. Sometimes in town when traffic is busy can fully understand passing folk and not noticing them till its too late. Done it many times myself. Nope this is on a wee country road on a wee bend just coming out of the village, nae driving fast. Maybe was the pretty girl beside him that distracted. Lets face it if I was twenty something and had the choice of waving to an old biddy or impressing a good looking passenger - well I guess there was no competition ;):laugh::laugh::laugh:

20 something? not me either then!:Whistle:

Sheilz
10th September 2009, 08:48 PM
20 something? not me either then!:Whistle:

Ha ha wishful thinking eh! You're even older than me :laugh::laugh::laugh: