PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Aberdeenshire

Kren__
7th September 2009, 01:31 PM
Hi,

Well I never thought I'd be here posting this. I'm a long time Japanese car nut who's apparently lost the plot and put a deposit down on a Cooper S. I have to admit to being a bit of a sceptic in the past when it comes to the MINI. Read all the rave reviews, but always felt it was a marketing led cash cow. Which it is, but having driven one now I see there's a lot more to it than that. I was blown away by the handling, so direct, easy and more to the point fun! :D

Went into John Clark in Aberdeen on Saturday and walked out having bought the Cooper S on display in the showroom. Trading in my RX-8 which I'm really sad to do, but fuel ain't cheap these days so it had to go. Hopefully pick up the MINI on Wednesday all being well.

Will try to post some pics in the gallery, if I remember/can be bothered/stop driving it long enough...

:bigwave:

RyanK
7th September 2009, 02:31 PM
Welcome! did you go for the turbo unit or the supercharded?

Kren__
7th September 2009, 02:37 PM
It's a new one so Turbo I think. Still trying to play catch up on all the specs of the various MINIs - Never looked into them until a week or so ago!

Mrs JCP
7th September 2009, 02:48 PM
Welcome to the site!!

Hope you love your cooper s :D

My other half (JC Parts Dept) was the same....he's a total jap car freak. But for the same reasons we went for the mini :smilewinkgrin: ....saving alot on petrol haha:thumbs up:

dellie
7th September 2009, 02:55 PM
Welcome!

john
7th September 2009, 03:06 PM
:welcome: Would that be the RED 's' with the JCW brakes by any chance??:thumbs up:

Kren__
7th September 2009, 03:10 PM
Cheers! Already had some questioning my sanity :lol: but hopefully they'll 'get it' once I take them for a spin...

My wife on the other hand is just glad that the days of 18mpg and £405 road tax are behind us...

On the other hand, I've got two accessory brochures at home that are getting increasingly thumbed. Gonna try hanging on for six months before ordering things I don't really need.

Kren__
7th September 2009, 03:13 PM
:welcome: Would that be the RED 's' with the JCW brakes by any chance??:thumbs up:

I wish! No, just the standard S. Couldn't slip that one by the missus... ;)

Mrs JCP
7th September 2009, 03:23 PM
Gonna try hanging on for six months before ordering things I don't really need.

:laugh: lol!!! i give you a week!! We had started buying bits for the car before we had picked it up! just so david could put them on the day we got it :D

Delboy
7th September 2009, 04:09 PM
Hello and :welcome:. You're going to love the Cooper S :yes nod: :thumbs up:

Crombers
7th September 2009, 04:34 PM
Welcome to NMSland :cool:

Craig
7th September 2009, 04:49 PM
:welcome: - you will love the car...

fancy a cheap exhaust ? :lol::thumbs up:

Gismo
7th September 2009, 04:52 PM
fancy a cheap exhaust ? :lol::thumbs up:Can't say you didn't try :lol:

:welcome: Kren_

Colin
7th September 2009, 04:59 PM
:welcome:

Bumble
7th September 2009, 06:08 PM
welcome to NMS :)

Forbes
7th September 2009, 06:19 PM
Welcome. Another Aberdeen car to look out for

Livi
7th September 2009, 06:43 PM
I've got two accessory brochures at home that are getting increasingly thumbed. Gonna try hanging on for six months before ordering things I don't really need.

If you need anything for your MINI, drop me a message in the forums and use your discount to full advantage :thumbs up:

ps... its only John Clark Dundee that offers this and not John Clark Aberdeen

as my otherhalf said, i was a jap freak and was amazed the amount of money you threw at them to make them run right :ragin:

audrey
7th September 2009, 11:47 PM
Hi :bigwave:

Kren__
8th September 2009, 08:10 AM
Cheers everyone for the welcome.

If you need anything for your MINI, drop me a message in the forums and use your discount to full advantage :thumbs up:

ps... its only John Clark Dundee that offers this and not John Clark Aberdeen

as my otherhalf said, i was a jap freak and was amazed the amount of money you threw at them to make them run right :ragin:

Cheers, will keep that in mind. Being an Aberdonian I cannae resist a discount... :D

You have to forget money when running a Jap car, a few years back my alternator went on ma FTO, cost me £1000 by the time I'd paid for the part and fitting. Can get them much cheaper now of course. If something went wrong you could almost guarantee a bill of at least £4/500... The RX-8 was better (apart from fuel and tax) but that's probably cos it only has 8k on the clock. It's safely tucked away in ma garage so nothing happens before I trade it in tomorrow!

Can't wait to get the MINI on the back roads tomorrow night!

AndyP & Lenore
8th September 2009, 09:40 AM

GCA3N
8th September 2009, 10:25 AM
Glad to have you on board, hope your enjoy your new car. You must have been sad selling your RX8 (nice car) but there is something special about mini ownership, or is it you have to be special to own a mini, one or the other. I had 2 Honda's prior to mini ownership and also have a 4x4 honda for the missus. The thing i love about jap cars is they are so damn reliable, I hope you mini works out that way too.

Kren__
8th September 2009, 12:52 PM
Glad to have you on board, hope your enjoy your new car. You must have been sad selling your RX8 (nice car) but there is something special about mini ownership, or is it you have to be special to own a mini, one or the other. I had 2 Honda's prior to mini ownership and also have a 4x4 honda for the missus. The thing i love about jap cars is they are so damn reliable, I hope you mini works out that way too.

I'm deffo in the 'special' category...

Cars getting it's PDI as I type, so looking good for pick up tomorrow.

choc
9th September 2009, 11:01 AM
hope 2 see u cruising thro newmachar some time ,often in meldrum myself as i taxi in my spare time

Kren__
9th September 2009, 11:22 AM
hope 2 see u cruising thro newmachar some time ,often in meldrum myself as i taxi in my spare time

You might do, if you're an early riser... I hit Newmachar every day on my way to work, usually between 6 to 6:30am.

Mini Ecosse
9th September 2009, 01:55 PM
Hi :welcome:

bazzaric
9th September 2009, 03:14 PM
Welcome to the forums and the new way of life. I'm out the other end of the shire, but will no doubt see you on the roads at some point :bigwave:

Now get your keyrings, T-Shirts, NMS Stickers and the rest :D

Gismo
9th September 2009, 04:12 PM
Now get your keyrings, T-Shirts, NMS Stickers and the rest :D:thumbs up:

Craig
9th September 2009, 05:50 PM
Welcome to the forums and the new way of life. I'm out the other end of the shire, but will no doubt see you on the roads at some point :bigwave:

Now get your keyrings, T-Shirts, NMS Stickers and the rest :D

:thumbs up:

I have plenty stock. :thumbs up:

Just PM me your order. ;)

RyanK
9th September 2009, 06:39 PM
I work in Newmachar, will keep an eye out for you min!

Kren__
10th September 2009, 07:24 AM
I have plenty stock. :thumbs up:

Just PM me your order. ;)

The hard sell's on then... :D

Well, picked it up last night! Gotta say that Tony, the guy that sold me the car, was a pleasure to deal with, made the whole process so easy.

Took it for a wee run last night, bedding in nicely. Although the 1200 mile 'running in' period is a pain. Having to drive round like a granny most of the time. :argh:

But, even with just 4500 rpm to play with it's enough to give me a taste of what's in store when it's ready.

Took some pics to post up in the gallery, but I used my wifes new camera which means, with me being a thicko, it'll probably take me a few days to resize them etc before I can post them.

Forbes
10th September 2009, 12:40 PM
Gotta say that Tony, the guy that sold me the car, was a pleasure to deal with, made the whole process so easy.

He was the one reason why my money didn't go to JCs, treated me like I was just in to browse and have a joy ride:ragin:( mostly down to my age only being 18 at the time) Took my Dad with me though and it was a different story:rolleyes:

Hope you are enjoying it, post some pics up to let us see it:thumbs up:

Kren__
10th September 2009, 01:03 PM
He was the one reason why my money didn't go to JCs, treated me like I was just in to browse and have a joy ride:ragin:( mostly down to my age only being 18 at the time) Took my Dad with me though and it was a different story:rolleyes:

Hope you are enjoying it, post some pics up to let us see it:thumbs up:

I had the same problem when I was first looking at cars (many moons ago), used to do my head in.

I was probably alright cos now I'm an old get, plus when I told him I wanted the actual car parked right next to his desk he probably couldn't believe his luck. He'd didn't really have to 'sell' it to me. :D

Ally S
10th September 2009, 07:45 PM
I was the same when I first drove my mini - I wasn't expecting such a different driving experience. I went from a Jap car too but a rather less exciting one.

Kren__
10th September 2009, 08:55 PM
I was the same when I first drove my mini - I wasn't expecting such a different driving experience. I went from a Jap car too but a rather less exciting one.

Aye just having to get used to front wheel drive again, and my old friend torque steer! :D

N16SHP
10th September 2009, 10:12 PM
Hey Welcome! Nice choice in colour ;) look forward to seeing you around Aberdeen!

Kren__
11th September 2009, 07:13 AM
Hey Welcome! Nice choice in colour ;) look forward to seeing you around Aberdeen!

Cheers! I'll be easy to spot cos I'll be the one with ma head down fiddling with all the gizmos instead of paying attantion to the road... :D

Duncan Stewart
14th September 2009, 08:20 PM

shaunbhoy67
16th September 2009, 12:41 PM
welcome along to the site :thumbs up: