PDA

View Full Version : Mac Users

Bazthemod
4th September 2009, 03:22 PM
Has anybody upgraded to Snow Leopard yet? Mines shipped today from Apple.... tried hunting around Dundee for a copy but was told by the sales monkey in Comet that i should just go download it free direct from Apple... WTF lol :hand:

Oh i love to test shop the opposition :D

koolsville
4th September 2009, 03:27 PM
It should be a free download, but it ain't. I believe its a disc only upgrade - I intend doing the smaller £29 version rather than the full blown £100+.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Smitty
4th September 2009, 03:30 PM
I'm trying to hold off for a few more weeks - let Apple iron out any bugs that it might have, but from intial reports it seems to be fairly positive among the fanboys and haters!! :Whistle:

Be interested to hear how you get on Baz. I'm guessing you will be fully backing up everything before going ahead with the upgrade?

I'm looking forward to getting an extra 7GB of HDD space back!! :D

Bazthemod
4th September 2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah i will time machine like a bitch beforehand lol!

Yeah it would be a slicker operation for a download service but i just liked the clueless reply from the dude at Comet. However i have heard some of my staff trying to sell mac and cringe just as much!

As for pricing i think £25 is very fair, take a look at windows 7 pricing! :rolleyes:

The Dogfather
4th September 2009, 03:41 PM
I'm still waiting for mine, hopefully sat at home waiting.

The Dogfather
5th September 2009, 08:23 AM
Installed it last night, freed up +8Gb and is definitely quicker

Gismo
5th September 2009, 08:28 AM
Installed it last night, freed up +8Gb Surely in this day and age of massive hard drives 8GB can't be overly needed?

The Dogfather
5th September 2009, 08:30 AM
My Macbook only has 120Gb and with taking photos in RAW format any extra is welcome :D

Gismo
5th September 2009, 08:45 AM
My Macbook only has 120Gb and with taking photos in RAW format any extra is welcome :DGlad i don't have a Mac then :Whistle:

The Dogfather
5th September 2009, 09:22 AM
The latest iMacs come with 1Tb, mine is just the entry level Macbook

Bazthemod
5th September 2009, 05:42 PM
It's not so much space gained for me as my Macbook Pro and Imac have ample storage its just nice to know the operating system is slick and neat on the hard drive and not memory intensive like windows.

Looking forward to my package arriving soon then :thumbs up:

Paul did it muck up your itunes library at all?

GAJ
5th September 2009, 08:00 PM
I've been using Snow Leopard for a few weeks now on my MBP, and have just installed it on my dad's iMac.
Overall it's much snappier feeling, boot time and shutdown are way faster. Freed about 8GB on my MBP.

Some little glitches though that will hopefully be fixed in the no doubt imminent 10.6.1 update, in particular when using my 1st gen. 1TB Time Capsule, I'm unable to open the network disk from the desktop alias. I just got a new dual band 2TB Time Capsule and the problem doesn't happen with that. The move to 64 bit kexts has caused problems for some 3rd party software and system extension too.

BTW - The £25 update disk described as being a Leopard updater is actually just a full install disk. I used one to update the iMac from Tiger straight to Snow Leopard. Installation took about 40 minutes.

No problems with my iTunes Library, thankfully. I have a couple of backups of it 'just in case' as there is a lot of time invested in it - about 22000 songs, all fully tagged with artwork. iTunes isn't updated by the SL install. We'll probably see a new version of iTunes appear after next weeks new iPod announcement.

The Dogfather
5th September 2009, 08:12 PM
No problems with itunes, other than the fact it won't work with my Sony Walkman. No change there though.

Smitty
6th September 2009, 12:44 PM
Paul did it muck up your itunes library at all?

It's sad...but that's my biggest fear aswell!! A LOT of time invested into that...:eek: :yes nod:

Gismo
6th September 2009, 02:17 PM
did it muck up your itunes library at all?Even if you lose your iTunes library file you can use sharepod to create it again, would take about 45 mins to downlaod 22k songs :thumbs up:

Bazthemod
6th September 2009, 03:01 PM
Nice one, have some more confidence now haha ... can you use the same disk to install on 2 machines then? Priority is my MBP but if it will work on the iMac too happy days lol :D

dezzyS
6th September 2009, 03:18 PM
Just bought Snow Leopard from the Apple Store in Glasgow today. Still running Tiger so I'm looking forward to the upgrade and to having Time Machine, and various other new things. Going to spend most of this week backing up, then getting Snow Leopard installed and then playing with all the new features. Think I might upgrade the RAM on my MacBook first though.

D