PDA

View Full Version : Juttering

Forbes
3rd September 2009, 06:05 PM
The car when cold, i.e. for 30 seconds after start up. When it is stone cold lacks all power. You put your foot down and nothing happens then power kicks in for a millesecond and no power again then the power comes back again. And I know its not a powerful car before anyone says anything:p

This is only when it is totally cold, and cold weather.

Is there any known causes or anything I should check?

Craig
3rd September 2009, 06:15 PM
could be HT leads? but not normally just when cold... :confused: There was an ECU issue I think with cars doing this... A wee search on M2 might help Ben...:thumbs up:

Forbes
3rd September 2009, 06:22 PM
Cheers. It is only ever just after start up and only when it has been left for hours. Might try new leads as they aren't too expensive.

If it is the ecu would a remap solve it do you think? Bluefin, JCW or custom

Craig
3rd September 2009, 06:27 PM
depends what the fault with the ECU is (if it is faulty at all).

I am sure Craig Noble posted up about a fault code reader that he had which he was quite happy to post out to people to use for free (postage paid by you obviously) to help diagnose problems. . . I think you may need the car checked for fault codes before spending money... Well, thats what i would do. .

:thumbs up:

Forbes
3rd September 2009, 06:55 PM
Will try him.

Think a couple of the Aberdeen had aswell. Anyone else heard any similar issues?

ianking
4th September 2009, 08:29 AM
I wouldnt think HT leads as if it were them it would be missing and juddering all the time.

It could be to do with the air mass meter and that it is not sensing a cold start and as such not adjusting the flow to suit.

Ferengo
4th September 2009, 09:17 AM
I have just called Grassicks with a similar problem. It's an R56 cooper. When cold it has a metalic rattle to it and not very much power (No spikes like you're speaking of). When it warms up after say 5 mins etc it's normally ok, but this morning the sound has stayed for much longer.

It's sounds sort of like when a drive shaft goes and you get the metalic rattling/clinking but not as loud. It comes fromt he engine. Baffled to what it may be, Have check the oil and the water it fine. Goes in on the 24th/25th of sep so will see what they say. Could also be described as a diesel type sound to.

Have had so many problems with this car but I love it. I don't wanna sound like someone who always thinks there is something wrong but in all honesty everytime I have said there is something up, there has been soemthing found (Eventually).

Ben let me know if you find anything and I'll do the same.

Forbes
4th September 2009, 10:10 AM
I am not getting any of the noises you are mentioning. Turned my stereo off to check it before.

Could it be anything to do with the battery dying?

Crombers
4th September 2009, 10:19 AM
A good indy garage should be able to 'plug in' & fault find. My local indy worked away with his laptop when I fitted the Playmini Manifold in order to identify the codes for the EML light. I had already noted them from MINI2 & the laptop picked them out in a jiffy :thumbs up:

Forbes
4th September 2009, 10:21 AM
Cheers. Might try Mr Noble's fault finder

G19RNT
4th September 2009, 08:28 PM
my car has done this for a while when changing gear it seems to judder and also lacks power then when it warms up it seems to be fine

Forbes
4th September 2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah mine does it right from first through the gears. Any ideas?