PDA

View Full Version : Overheating?

Just Jade
2nd September 2009, 04:20 PM
While sitting idling (only for a few minutes), fan kicks in and the temp gauge shoots right up :( Its happened twice now) Checked coolant level both times, and it was low and had to be topped up. Took it into bmw the 1st time it happened (4 weeks ago) they checked it over and said they couldnt find anything wrong.

It happened again at the weekend, exactly the same senario. Also a kind of sporadic knocking noise coming from the engine bay somewhere since this happened? Any clues as to what could be causing this? :(

GCA3N
2nd September 2009, 05:05 PM
Hard one to really hit on the head. I mean obviously you are loosing collant somewhere. First (and this is what was wrong with mine when it did the same) it could be a radiator leakage. I know the r50 models had an issue with radiators that corroded. You could have a small leak in a coolant pipe, either at the connection or maybe the pipe itself is burst. It could (and I hope it is'nt) the head gasket could be away this would also cause the coolant to go down. When you top up the coolant do you see it changing colour over a period of time, this would be an indication of a head gasket failure. Hope you get things sorted soon.

Craig
2nd September 2009, 05:22 PM
or could be a faulty thermostat - I had that on my last car and it kept running hot and loosing coolant. ;)

Fingers crossed you get it fixed soon and at minimal cost. :yes nod:

Just Jade
2nd September 2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks Craig, no change in the colour when I top it up ;) I've just topped it up again. I topped it up on Saturday checked it just now and it was back to minimum.

The temp gauge isnt going up at all when I'm on the move. I think its best I book it back into BMW to get them to check it out again as there's obviously something wrong :(

nnzander
17th September 2009, 08:57 PM
Sounds like your thermostat is not opening correctly.

Had the same problem with out 2005 cooper s 23453 miles on the clock:ragin:

Took it to the dealer and changer thermostat new coolant and water...

All ok now but i would have your mini service dep check the car over first.

Seames to be a common complaint :frown:

Just Jade
18th September 2009, 11:44 AM
It seems to have sorted itself? :|

Next problem, there's a 'whining' noise coming from the engine somewhere which changes in tone when you turn the steering wheel :argh:

Smitty
18th September 2009, 11:46 AM
It seems to have sorted itself? :|

Next problem, there's a 'whining' noise coming from the engine somewhere which changes in tone when you turn the steering wheel :argh:

That'll be the electric power steering pump....all perfectally normal and nothing to worry about ;)

Just Jade
18th September 2009, 02:50 PM
Yeah I read on other forums about that, is it normal though that its not always sounded like that? It's something that's just started over the last 2 weeks?