PDA

View Full Version : Car severly pulling to the left....uh oh!

Eggy7496
31st August 2009, 12:10 PM
Hey Guys,

I have my R56 Cooper S booked in at the end of the week to look at a problem thats developed.... i'm really puzzled as to why/how this even happened!!

The car is really badly pulling to the left, as soon as you let go of the steering wheel...its off to the left quickly.... its certainly nothing to do with the camber of the road...

There is also this really bad sounding squeel/creaking coming from the front left when you turn the wheel at slow speeds...it feels like the noises are travelling front the front left right up through the dashboard (if you can imagine that)...

The guy at the garage asked me to check tyre pressures and also said it could be something to do with your brakes seizing...or something along that lines....however i am fearing worse!!

Any ideas on what this problem could be? Anyone had anything similar?

Just for the record, i have the 18" Works wheels on the car, the only thing i can think is that i have nailed the car on a pothole or something... but struggling to remember...thats something i think everyone would remember about!!

Ive checked the wheel myself, im no mechanic but from i have seen, there is nothing oviously wrong from looking at the wheel etc...

Thanks
EJ

Big Gordy
31st August 2009, 12:15 PM
If the caliper was seized the hub would be very hot after a short run. Also a wheel bearing on the way out would give you the noise you're on about and the pulling to the left. Does the wheel spin freely when you have it off the ground..?? Wheel bearing will make a rumbling sound and a sticking caliper will make a grinding sound. Wheel should spin relatively freely if everything is OK:yes nod:

GCA3N
31st August 2009, 12:42 PM
Sounds like a tyre pressure issue, possible the wheel alignment or balancing could be out , especially if you hit a pot hole. Hope not any worse.

Eggy7496
31st August 2009, 03:05 PM
Guys thanks for your input... would what you are saying account for the screeching its making...? It really does sound loudly awful when you here the noise coming from the front left wheel when you turn.....sounds like a really old door closing and squeeking...very loudly...

EJ

Gismo
31st August 2009, 03:17 PM
Sounds like a bearing or, if the caliper has seized then the pad has likely worn down to the metal part of the pad itself and really should not be driven

Scottie
31st August 2009, 03:18 PM
Also consider. the TRE or ball joint

Gismo
31st August 2009, 03:19 PM
You really should consider removing the wheel to investigate the cause

binnie
1st September 2009, 12:33 AM
my favourite game, diagnose the fault online in one post :computer: :p

if there is a creaking noise from the front and severe pulling my guess would be a broken spring off its top seat, or a collapsed top mount? possibly bottom ball joint, TRE would have to hanging off to make it pull that badly IMO.

also never underestimate the level of human stupidity, had the car been lowered/modifed/repaired recently? check for loose nuts/bolts etc

cheers

Binnie

Eggy7496
1st September 2009, 05:28 PM
Hey thanks for your input, nope its all standard and no tempering in anyway.... some of the things you mentioned there sound expensive!! Im hoping this is all covered by the warranty!

EJ

Eggy7496
3rd September 2009, 07:05 PM
Right folks, thought i'd give you an update... i dropped the car off this morning and it was ready for collection at 11am...perfect service!!

It was all covered under warranty, so i will try and regurgitate what I was told..... the front left top mount shocker was broken, split in half.... apparently the broken piece should look like a doughnut..... All other parts involved suspension etc wasnt damaged, phew!

Car felt amazing on the drive home! .... also found out the delivery of my JCW has been delayed by a few weeks... :(

EJ