PDA

View Full Version : Places to stay in Inverness area - For next year's highland tour

The Dogfather
30th August 2009, 10:50 AM
I'm in the process of planing day 2 and 3 of the Highland Tour and I'm looking to find a good place to stay in the Inverness area. The plan is to stay near Inverness with a view to getting on the Nairn to Grantown road then on over the Lecht and Glenshee before stopping for a late lunch stop at Blair Atholl.

I was thinking of Dornoch but that means that you have to get across the city in rush hour traffic in order to get to Nairn, and I seem to remember this is a bit of a nightmare.

Can anyone help? Scottie or John?

The Dogfather
30th August 2009, 11:02 AM
This is the plan so far, overnight stays in Ullapool and the Inverness area.

Highland Tour (http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Stirling&daddr=Fort+william+to:Dornie+to:applecross+to:torr idon+to:gairloch+to:Ullapool+to:durness+to:john+o' groats+to:inverness+to:nairn+to:grantown+on+spey+t o:the+lecht+to:braemar+to:blair+atholl&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=57.347274,-4.949341&sspn=1.618319,4.938354&ie=UTF8&z=7)

Scottie
30th August 2009, 01:49 PM
dingwall: or the holiday Inn or Premier at the retail park right on the road for Nairn

Craig
30th August 2009, 05:31 PM
I can recommend the Holiday Inn Express just off the road to Nairn. Used it a few times. :thumbs up: Rooms are immaculate and they don't charge like a wounded rhino. ;)

Details HERE (http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/925/en/hd/invuk?crUrl=/h/d/ex/925/en/hotelsearchresults&rpb=hotel&_requestid=838563) Paul :thumbs up:

Scottie
30th August 2009, 05:54 PM
Paul.

Click on this link and it will give all the hotels in and around Inverness. There is a couple I wouldn't choose either because not great parking or not the best hotel.

I'm sure you get us all a deal with the Drumossie that would be my choice:thumbs up: nice and handy for all main routes.

http://www.hotelsininverness.net/hotel.asp

The Dogfather
30th August 2009, 08:18 PM
Cheers guys, I'll sort out an accommodation list in December, gives us plenty of time to book.

I think carrying on to Inverness rather than stopping at Dornoch will mean the timings for Day 3 will work out spot on with a good lunch stop at The House of Bruar before we all make our way back home.

Craig
30th August 2009, 08:22 PM
Paul, is this still scheduled for the end of May? if so Jude cant get the friday or mon off as it's not her may hols, so we will only be able to do part of this... :argh::argh:

GCA3N
30th August 2009, 09:00 PM
Hay Paul got any dates sorted I was under the impession it was the weekend of the 22nd and 23rd is that still the case.

The Dogfather
30th August 2009, 09:01 PM
It'll be the 22nd, 23rd and 24th May.

We'll start on Saturday from Stirling, so the Friday won't be a problem. However you'll miss the overnight in Inverness and the half day run through the Cairngorms :(

Sorry

The Dogfather
30th August 2009, 09:01 PM
Beat me to it G.

GCA3N
30th August 2009, 09:14 PM
I'm off the whole week so I will be there all weekend and Monday

Craig
30th August 2009, 09:54 PM
It'll be the 22nd, 23rd and 24th May.

We'll start on Saturday from Stirling, so the Friday won't be a problem. However you'll miss the overnight in Inverness and the half day run through the Cairngorms :(

Sorry

nae worries, just the nature of the beast with jude being a teacher... :rolleyes:;)

GCA3N
30th August 2009, 10:48 PM
nae worries, just the nature of the beast with jude being a teacher... :rolleyes:;)

Pull a sicky man.

Bazthemod
30th August 2009, 11:05 PM
Cant wait for this! There will be no sleeping in cars for me this time though :frown::p:D

The Dogfather
30th August 2009, 11:16 PM
Cant wait for this! There will be no sleeping in cars for me this time though :frown::p:D

No sleeping in a tent for me either :D. This one is going to be done in comfort so I'm not tired for the driving. I was totally knackered coming back from Durness on the Sunday.

Scottie
30th August 2009, 11:23 PM
No sleeping in a tent for me either :D. This one is going to be done in comfort

x2

Sheilz
31st August 2009, 09:34 AM
Sounds good Paul :thumbs up: Never been to John O Groats so that's an added bonus. Guess I wont be taking 'The Coo' with me next year ;) Munro will be pleased think it took him a wee whiley wrestling with the damned thing before it would go back in its bag.Next time I use it might just forget to hold on and let it blow away :laugh::laugh:

The Dogfather
31st August 2009, 09:42 AM
Its an epic trip, I'll reccie it in March :eek:

Stewart
31st August 2009, 11:09 PM
Dont knock the old camping.....:hand:

Apart from the Pub noise, the Football at 5-AM, the packing and building the dam thing, no heating or comfy soft bed, the toilets a walk away and the odd midge its all good.:D

I’ll be camping the first night probably and might head up early to Applecross campsite on the Friday if the weather looks good just to have a good look at the place. Only down side is missing the drive up in the Convoy from Stirling that cant be beat on a nice day. I’ll have to have a wee think.

It broke my heart last time with blue sky’s passing through the Cross.:sad: